Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I change how Vista drags and drops?

• 19-03-2008 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to find a solution to this but can't seem to find one anywhere.

When I drag and drop a file within the OS drive it gets moved, but when I drag a file to another HDD or networked drive it makes a copy of it. Is there anyway to disable this feature so that drag and drop always just moves the file and doesn't copy it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

This isn't a vista thing. It's like that in all MS OS.
    Draging within the same drive will always move and draging to another drive will copy.
    In order to move using the drag no matter what the destination is then hold shift and drag..
    For that matter, if you want to copy using drag to the same drive then hold ctrl...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Why not just cut and paste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Easier just to Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Easier just to Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V :p

:rolleyes:

I know all the shortcuts and hotkeys.

What I usually do is is hold the right mouse button down to drag and then you get a menu where you can choose to copy or move. The other option is to hold shift down when dragging with the left button.

But the reason I ask is that I never drag and drop something I don't want to move, so its just a nuisance having to delete the original or select move instead of copy.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to change the default way MS handles drag and drop, maybe a registry key change or something

Advertisement