Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever heard of a Tamaskan?

• 19-03-2008 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

As far as i know its not a totaly reconagised breed. Ive been able to find a lke for a breeder over in England alhough all the pictures of the dogs are in snow so i have my doubts. Does anyone know a breeder in Ireland? or anyone who has one?or any thing about them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Having read this:

http://www.tamaskan-dog.com/History/history.htm

I'd hardly call the "Tamaskan" a breed, rather a marketing ploy, or more precicely ...a bloody mess

Plenty of wolf/husky/malamute lookalikes in shelters already, no need to give your money to these so called "breeders".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I totally agree with you Peasant they are a marketing ploy a mixed up lot of breeds big money for cross breds.They where called innuits then they where called utonagans.keep well away from them .you would be better getting a malamute or husky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 john jo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Totally agree with Peasant and Morganna!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Boris25

The tamaskan is a name made up by one woman who lived briefly in Ireland at the end of 2005. She goes under the name of ~censored~ kennels.

These dogs are a mix of husky, utonagan and cwd. She left Ireland and moved to Finland which is why most of the photographs show the dogs in snow. She is now living in England.

~Comment deleted by Mod~

The northern inuit is a completely different breed. Unfortunately there are people selling dogs as northern inuit dogs that clearly are not. A genuine northern inuit dog will be registered with the northern inuit society and have a pedigree tracable back many generations. There is at present only one genuine northern inuit breeder in Ireland but there are also a few dogs that have been imported from the UK.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

I know the woman who lived in england came to ireland breifly in 2006 i think did a runner to finland and has now returned to england .she gave the breed the name tamaskan and the innuit was the same breed .The same woman appeared on blue peter a few years back when the breed was called utonagans

You are correct Morganna. She lived in Ireland from the beginning of November 05 until mid December 05 and then dissapeared to Finland leaving quite a mess and many problems behind.

Some of her dogs were utonagans. She also had a gsd x, huskies, malamutes, deerhounds, lhaso apso's and collies. It is only her dogs that she called tamaskans not the whole utonagan breed which are still going strong. She crossed her utonagans with huskies and cwd's.

This person was never involved with northern inuits.

So which would people see as the most repuatable breed?northern inuits, utonagans or Tamaskan?

emmm ..out of these three?

none :D

Here's your wolfy dog:
    20_WolfSmall1.jpg

He's even called "Wolf"

from here:
    http://www.irishanimals.com/gsdall_homes.html

I'd call that a white GSD not a wolfy dog. As I call my own dogs northern inuits and not wolfy dogs.

I do not know enough about utonagans to comment but yes the northern inuit is a reputable breed

• Advertisement

boris i think i know you as you know all about the mess the woman left behind,as i do.

Boris25 wrote: »
    I'd call that a white GSD not a wolfy dog. As I call my own dogs northern inuits and not wolfy dogs.

I do not know enough about utonagans to comment but yes the northern inuit is a reputable breed
    Believe me the northern innuits where the utonagans and then a big row and they split and renamed the breed utonagans i know the people invoved one lived in wales .and had been breeding innuits for years i think Boris one of your dogs may go back to the lady from the south of england who lives in wales she and some others renamed the breed utonagans and then the lady who went to finland named her dogs tamaskans did you see her on blue peter when she called them utonagans.

Hi Morganna,

Yes the utonagan did split from the northern inuit. The utonagan has since had other breeds added and is completely different to the northern inuit. We were recently at a show that had classes for both utonagans and northern inuits. Both breeds are different.

The person we are discussing, who I understand was not involved with northern inuits at all, did have utonagans. She did not just rename them to tamaskans she mixed in other breeds including husky and cwd.

None of our dogs come from anyone in Wales.

Perhaps we do know each other as we are also in the west of Ireland. We knew that person well and are still friends with her deserted husband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 moonzmum

some very negative comments on the Northern Inuit here folks, very insulting to myself as a breeder , have any of you, apart from boris25 ever met one, or a serious, non money orientated breeder. My concern, as a serious breeder, is to promote my breed and to educate people on them, the pro's and cons. they are not a crossbreed, and we are hoping to gain KC recognition. We have a society devoted to the well being of the breed and a rescue scheme second to none. No NI end up in shelters and pounds as all the relevent rescue shemes in the UK have the NI societies phone numbers and only have to call. Please dont tar us all with the same brush, we arent all out to make money. PS werent all dogs crossbreeds at some point?

Am I imagining things or is there a remarkable number of low postcount and relatively new users "discussing" dogs that nobody else ever heard of before?

Ye wouldn't all happen to know each other, would ye ? :D:D:D

Something smells fishy here ...

Dont judge an man by his post count!;)

So have we established the tamaskans are the same or very similar as utonagans only their name was changed by some crazy lady? Or something along these lines?

Maybe you guys can go through some of the differences between these dogs for us?

nothing fishy at all, I for one, like to keep my eye on sites where my breed of dog pop up, you seem very quick to condemn the Northern Inuit when you dont really know anything about the breed. Yes there were splits between club members and yes they decided to give their dogs other names, but that is ancient history and both the Northern Inuit society and the Utonagon society work well together now but both are seperate breeds going in their own direction. is it a crime to join a forum and to reply to a thread about a breed of dog that I have some knowledge of?

john jo wrote: »
    Dont judge an man by his post count!;)

So have we established the tamaskans are the same or very similar as utonagans only their name was changed by some crazy lady? Or something along these lines?

Maybe you guys can go through some of the differences between these dogs for us?

i will try to explain, its a bit complicated lol. Firstly, there was the Northern Inuit, a club was formed but as will always happen, some of the members disagreed on what they wanted from the breed, so several members went off and formed their own club and decided to call their dogs the Utonagon, somewhere along the way, they added a couple of other breeds so that now, apart from the older Utes, they are very different in looks to the NI. the woman you asked about in the original post , then fell out with the Utonagan society and decided to call her dogs Tamaskan, rumour has it that the Czech wolf dog was used in her lines, she fled ireland to Finland and is now back in the Uk. I told you it was complicated. the idea behind the NI, was to create a breed of dog that resembled the wolf but without any of the wolf characteristics, for over 25 years, the Northern Inuit has been bred like to like and we are very proud of the progress and popularity of the breed.

peasant wrote: »
    Am I imagining things or is there a remarkable number of low postcount and relatively new users "discussing" dogs that nobody else ever heard of before?

Ye wouldn't all happen to know each other, would ye ? :D:D:D

Something smells fishy here ...

Is is wrong for a new member on a forum to join a discussion on a subject that they have knowledge of? (which by the way I was told about by a friend who is a member of this site who has not posted on this thread).

John Jo (who I do not know) asked a question and has has been given honest replies.

We are not discussing dogs that nobody else has ever heard of. Northern Inuits are a popular breed which we as owners are happy to discuss with anyone interested. Hence the reason myself and Moonzmum have answered.

British Inuit, Northern Inuit, Utanagan, Tamaskan ...what else?

All at each other's throats and with conflicting information about "breed" origin, standards and behaviour.

I'll stick with my initial assessment: a marketing ploy and a bloody mess !

But dogs that look like wolves are fashionable and there will probably always be a (lucrative) market for these kind of shenanigans so every "breed" organisation is keen to gain Kennel Club registration and with it the licence to print money ...only trouble in this case seems to be that not all "breeders" involved are pulling the same string and rather diverge into "breeds" of their own.

Which reminds me of:
    Right. You're in. Listen. The only people we hate more than the Romans are the ****ing Judean People's Front.
    P.F.J.: Yeah...
    JUDITH: Splitters.
    P.F.J.: Splitters...
    FRANCIS: And the Judean Popular People's Front.
    P.F.J.: Yeah. Oh, yeah. Splitters. Splitters...
    LORETTA: And the People's Front of Judea.
    P.F.J.: Yeah. Splitters. Splitters...
    REG: What?
    LORETTA: The People's Front of Judea. Splitters.
    REG: We're the People's Front of Judea!
    LORETTA: Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.
    REG: People's Front! C-huh.
    FRANCIS: Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?
    REG: He's over there.
    P.F.J.: Splitter!

I just hope that the dogs are doing ok while all this is going on ...

• Advertisement

Could I just ask you peasant. Have you ever met a northern inuit?

No.

But nowhere have I said that I have issues with the dog as such.

Actually I NEVER have issues with any dogs, always with people only. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Well time for me to post;)
    It was me, I told a friend of mine, an owner of NI about the the thread, purely becase I thought the OP might like an answer from an owner/or somebody with some famliarty with the breed.
    They are unsual dogs & a realtively new breed, but as some one who knows them, doesn't own them ,I have to say the seem to make good pets & lovely Companions. The reasons they are not my breed of choice is cause they need constant company & that Whte har gets every where:D lol.

As I have said before, sometimes ths forum is not very welcoming/accepting of other views. I don't mind a good arguement,but we should really try & take an un bias vew & try offer advice that might be helpful

I'm sure I'll get some some snide remarks for making ths post but really I just wanted to point out that as far as I am aware there has been nothing fishy
    about this thread.

Ami

Peasant it appears that you have issues with people that you know nothing about.

Our dogs are certainly not as quoted by yourself "a marketing ploy and a bloody mess" and are doing very well thank you.

Last time I checked I was as entitled as anyone else to voice my OPINION on this forum ...and that's just what I'm doing.

In my opinion there are more than enough breeds already, too many actually.
    Most of them have been "developed" to a degree that has negatively impacted the health of the dogs concerned.

All the world needs is another bunch of people dabbling in yet another breed (and not very scientifically so or in a well informed manner, if the bumpf on the "breeders" websites is anything to go by).

There are thousands of SURPLUS dogs killed in Ireland every year ...why get some "exotic" and not even recognised "breed" when there are perfectly beautiful dogs (see "wolfy" dog in this thread) looking for a new home ?

I can understand people wanting to by a purebred dog from a good breeder (even though I myself won't be buying a dog ever again), but buying a new "breed" from "breeders" who aren't even sure what to call their dogs, never mind what they actually are (hybrids or not) and where they came from and when...that's beyond me.

That's my opinion and I'll stick to it. :p

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but I did not see anywhere that this thread was about rescue dogs.

I do appreciate that there are many dogs in need of homes but then if we all rescued dogs (as we have done in the past) there would be no breeds at all and dogs as a species would become extinct as all rescued dogs are neutered or spayed.

Yes I do know what our dogs are called. They are called northern inuits. There is no dispute on what breed they are.

They are a very well respected breed. Northern inuits are winners at many shows, in many disciplines, including a first at crufts this year.

Boris25 wrote: »
    . Northern inuits are winners at many shows, in many disciplines, including a first at crufts this year.

In what group are they registered then?
    Or did you mean Scruffts? :D

see here:

http://www.theinuitdogassociation.com/news.htm

As much as as personally dislike The Kennel Club (the club who runs Crufts)and show dog breeding (and where it has led some breeds) ...in this case they seem to have shown some sense and prevented some over-eager dog-dabblers from officially registering yet another "breed".

This is why I brought rescue dogs into the discussion.
    If all you're getting is some dog from a self-appointed breed (with possible health issues thrown in on top), you might as well save yourself some money (and a dogs life) and get yourself a cute mix from a rescue and make up your own breed name when people ask you what dog it is :D

oh ...and in reply to this:
    Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but I did not see anywhere that this thread was about rescue dogs.

If you want to start nit-picking ...the OP never asked about Northern (or whatever) Inuits either ...the question was about Tamaskans :D

hi guys don’t mind the original post i feel people have done their best to answer it. id welcome the discussion and debate at the moment because im getting some really good views from everyone. I don’t thinks anyone’s gone of topic really we're still talking about very similar dogs so its all good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tikaani

Having just joined this forum, I was impressed to see the NI mentioned but disappointed also to see a Moderator giving principles which discrimate a dog of any breed.
    Is this a forum which as a new member I will feel injustice to all threads?
    This I ask before I comment any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭fits

Tikaani wrote: »
    Having just joined this forum, I was impressed to see the NI mentioned but disappointed also to see a Moderator giving principles which discrimate a dog of any breed.
    Is this a forum which as a new member I will feel injustice to all threads?
    This I ask before I comment any further.

The moderator in question does not mod this forum and can therefore be perceived as a regular user here (same applies to me).
    If you call difference of opinion 'injustice' then maybe you should look for a forum where people agree on everything...;)

I find this topic really interesting, and had never heard of any of this before.

Advertisement