Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever heard of a Tamaskan?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Boris25

peasant wrote: »
    In what group are they registered then?
    Or did you mean Scruffts? :D

see here:

http://www.theinuitdogassociation.com/news.htm

As much as as personally dislike The Kennel Club (the club who runs Crufts)and show dog breeding (and where it has led some breeds) ...in this case they seem to have shown some sense and prevented some over-eager dog-dabblers from officially registering yet another "breed".

This is why I brought rescue dogs into the discussion.
    If all you're getting is some dog from a self-appointed breed (with possible health issues thrown in on top), you might as well save yourself some money (and a dogs life) and get yourself a cute mix from a rescue and make up your own breed name when people ask you what dog it is :D

oh ...and in reply to this:

If you want to start nit-picking ...the OP never asked about Northern (or whatever) Inuits either ...the question was about Tamaskans :D

No I mean Crufts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Boris25 wrote: »
    No I mean Crufts.

A dog of a "breed" not recognised by the British Kennel Club can't win anything at Crufts ..other than maybe an agility or obedience competition. But then it wouldn't do so as "Northern Inuit" but as "working sheepdog" or "crossbreed"

http://crufts.fossedata.co.uk/

Tikaani wrote: »
    Having just joined this forum, I was impressed to see the NI mentioned but disappointed also to see a Moderator giving principles which discrimate a dog of any breed.
    Is this a forum which as a new member I will feel injustice to all threads?
    This I ask before I comment any further.

As you can see, I'm not a fan of made-up designer "breeds". This is my opinion that I voice on this forum.

If you feel unfairly treated, use the report button (report.gif) to report my posts and let the moderators of this forum sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 john jo

Aright this seems to be turning into a tit for tat jibe match however i am really glad to hear all opinions but im just starting to get worried people are getting put off on getting involved. Id like to hear a bit more about a Inuit if anyone can help?

Hi John Jo,

A good place for information on the northern inuit is www.the-northern-inuit-society.com

To me, as an owner of these lovely dogs, they couldn't be better. The only downside we have is as Amimad has already said they do do not like being alone and have to be with either you or another dog all the time. They also do moult alot!!

They are very loyal and easily trainable. We have alot of success with our dogs at both northern inuit and agricultural shows. We have had many BIS and RBIS. We also do obedience and agility training.

Here are a few pics of our dogs.

Liadangarden.jpg

sachaatmonivea.jpg

DSC01757.jpg

sacha4.jpg

sacha2-1.jpg

borishide.jpg

11liadan.jpg

• Advertisement

Gorgeous dogs, though ...I'll grant you that ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

its very nice to see them doing agility and we have met last year at an agricultural show i know the estranged husband to of the other woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 john jo

Thanks boris lovely looking dogs i must say!! How many have you got?

I think I remember who you are now Morganna. I think we met at the Ballinrobe show last year.

We have 3 dogs John Jo.

yes we did i had a gsd there/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

Tamaskans and NIs look the same to me can anyone tell what the difference is besides some obscure breeding traits?

Dont forget the utonagan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

Morganna wrote: »
    Dont forget the utonagan

hehe yea, this is so confusing! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 darazan

john jo wrote: »
    So have we established the tamaskans are the same or very similar as utonagans only their name was changed by some crazy lady? Or something along these lines?

Maybe you guys can go through some of the differences between these dogs for us?

okay, look. NI and Utonagan breeders don't like Tamaskans, so the opinion's going to be biased. If you really want to find out about the breed (although not yet recognized) go talk to a Tamaskan breeder. I think you can find was to message them on the official Tamaskan sites: http://www.tamaskan-dog.com/index2.htm

These dogs are meant to look like wolves without wolf blood in them. Claims that they have CWD blood are entirely false. The Tamaskan sites will tell you their history and the bloodlines used, so even if you don't believe me, you can trust them. The motto of the Tamaskan Dog Register is "Wolf-Dog without the Wolf." On the TDR's site (listed above) it will tell you everything you need to know about Tamaskans, temperment, health, breed standard, etc.

I would say, no matter what, go to the official breed sites for whatever breed you want to look at. If you were looking at GSDs, you wouldn't try to find out information from the Border Collie sites. It's just the same with Tamaskans, and if someone tells you they have wolf in them, they're lying, simple as that.

Cato wrote: »
    Tamaskans and NIs look the same to me can anyone tell what the difference is besides some obscure breeding traits?

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, NIs have a broader range of what they allow in their dogs, in terms or color, coat, etc. Tamaskans allow few deviations: there are 3 accepted coat colors, and long hair is unacceptable in all cases at the current time. If you do an image search for Nothern Inuits, you'll see that not all of them look like the one pictured above, but Tamaskans don't vary too much in looks. To me, and I'm not trying to bash NIs, I think they are beautiful, NIs still have a bit too much of a husky look to them, but of course, this varies from dog to dog. Also, NIs accept any eye color or color combination, whereas Tamaskans only accept naturally occuring eye colors as found in mature wolves. (blue is not accepted, only the brown or amber, I believe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

darazan wrote: »
    long hair is unacceptable in all cases at the current time.

Tamaskans only accept naturally occuring eye colors as found in mature wolves. (blue is not accepted, only the brown or amber, I believe)

Is the dog less of a dog because of its eye colour or length of hair? Is it a good idea to exclude the animal from the gene pool promoting inbreeding and ill health because a bit of paper says a certain eye colour is unacceptable in a perfectly healthy dog?

Have we learnt anything? Is this going to happen again and again because we think they look cool?

Not an attack on you darazan of course. This is what peasant has been trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

yes i've heard of them. they are closely related to the labradooodle,the jackadoodle,and all the other makey up breeds that originate in the yards of money hungry puppy peddlers.

I know you're not trying to attack my point, and I'm not saying that particular eye or coat color really matters to me, I was simply listing the differences in the breed standard of the two breeds. While I have not looked much into Northern Inuits breeding program (although I'm sure it's perfectly fantastic), I know that Tamaskan breeders are keeping track (as well as they have been able to, very early on, records weren't kept of matings, even before they were called Tamaskans) of matings to make sure that inbreeding is not occuring, they are also requiring certain tests in order to catch any problems that might be creeping into the breed, so they are able to tell potential owners what problems might occur. Breeding for specific traits isn't a bad thing, as long as you don't take it too far. I believe that inbreeding is a horrible thing, and I commend and appreciate ANY breeder who does not practice this. There are ways to get a good, consistent dog through proper breeding, and I believe that Tamaskan breeders are doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

darazan wrote: »
    I believe that Tamaskan breeders are doing so.

With such a shallow gene pool because of their specific requirements I really don't know how they do this!

Anyway thanks for being the only of a few new and vocal members to get back on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Boris25 wrote: »
    Hi John Jo,

Liadangarden.jpg

Ah look, it's the littlest hobo!

Beautiful dog, really, really stunning.

I don't see the issue in relation to responsible breeding of these dogs. And as has been said, all pure breeds were once upon a time considered cross breeds. I|would however have reservations in the case of the tamaskan as the breed standard as has been outlined by darazan.

While all my dogs are rescues and always have been and probably always will be, as much as I'd love a Bearnese mountain dog, I can understand why someone would want this type of dog and so long as it is being done in a responsible way then it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem with dogs in this country is not the responsible breeders, who love their dogs dearly and try so hard to find good decent homes for their pups. They are not the ones allowing their dogs to breed unchecked and throwing the pups out on the street. Unfortunately it is the general attitude of the Irish people to neutering and looking after their dogs that is the problem, so I think the anger and resentment felt about the situation for our poor rescue dogs should be firmly placed with the general public and that is where the problem needs to be tackled.

That is leaving aside the unscrupulous breeders in puppy farms and the idiots who let their dogs roam. That's another argument, but not relevant to the question posed.

• Advertisement

Personally, since I am not a breeder, I would recommend talking to some of the breeders. There are several in the UK, and a few in the US. You can contact them via their websites/emails. Links to these are provided at http://www.tamaskan-dog.com/index2.htm This site also includes the breed history and standards in full (including a pictoral standards for those, like me, who don't know all the terms used in the dog world). The TDR is doing their best to DNA profile all Tamaskan dogs, so that inbreeding does not occur and health issues can be dealt with early on.

Hope this helps!!

Advertisement