Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fantastic subject of Technical Drawing!!!

Options
  • 19-03-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I think as the last year to ever sit this exam we should celebrate it!

We are the last students to ever sit this exam... there are actually only 4 people in my class...its really dying out...

If you were to look back 25 years of exam papers you would see the course never changed... madness!! the book we use was printed in 1985...

Any advice for this subject is very much appriciated + if you go to www.examinations.ie you can get solutions back to 2001 which is a life saver...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Idd, you guys are lucky tbh. I did TD for the leaving last year and loved it - such an interesting and cool subject.

They're dropping it? Are they replacing it with anything updated or what?

Myth wrote: »
    They're dropping it? Are they replacing it with anything updated or what?

It's being replaced with a new subject: Design & Communication Graphics, with a significant amount of the work being done using CAD. The syllabus is here. I can't comment on the similiarities of the two courses - though I do remember that my TD teacher was terribly sad to see the new changes :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sleepwalker73

CAD (SolidWorks edition) will be 40% of LC mark. At least 35 5th year students are doing Design and Communication Graphics in the Institute on Leeson street. So I bet this subject will be very popular next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 We Are Leeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    It's being replaced with a new subject: Design & Communication Graphics, with a significant amount of the work being done using CAD. The syllabus is here. I can't comment on the similiarities of the two courses - though I do remember that my TD teacher was terribly sad to see the new changes :rolleyes:
    It's going to be very hard then for people who repeat. It looks a VERY different course. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I wish I could have done TD. :( New course sounds cool, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

We are the last students to ever sit this exam... there are actually only 4 people in my class...its really dying out...

Wouldnt say its dying out theres 3 classes in my year doing T.D.

Anyone know of any good T.D books for revision i really need to learn how to do those damn solids in contact questions properly:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

i think we should be sorry for the people next year. They will be sitting a completely new course with no past papers to look at. They are guinie pigs atm really. I was also told that this new course looks way too big and my teacher thinks that they will NEVER be able to finish the paper in the allocated time.

They will be sitting a completely new course with no past papers to look at.

The department will release a number of sample papers to guide the students - just like they did when they changed the maths or the physics cirriculum. Granted it's not the same as having actual leaving cert papers to look over, but imo it won't be as bad as you might think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Right, theres about 40 in my year doinf this new course at the mo,

firstly, CAD is not worth 40%, bout 16%, you do a project worth 40% which is no more than 15 a3 pages,from that, 5 normal, 5 cad and 5 freehand.

The course is basically the same as old one but a watered down one, there is only one paper and students are not needed to go into so much detail in their study or answers. I think its all the same areas studyed but theres alot of emphasis on freehand drawing and thinking for yourself

oh, and there is no sample paper yet, they are in consultation with teachers atm, so no one really knows how hard it will be, just wont be as hard as previous (eg, for roads, you may only have to do one side instead of 2)

any more questions, ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Theres one full class doing it in my year, all are sickened though that they never got a chance at the new course and that their the last doing the old course.

Did tech for the JC and found it so hard, struggled and ended up with a C which I was happy enough with, might of considered it for the LC if we were offered the new course going into 5th year way way back in 2006 (seems so long ago now)

Advertisement