Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Cream for Cocktails?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend what coconut cream I'd buy for Pina Colada's?
    The only one I can find is the blue dragon stuff for use in Indian cooking!
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think its the same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah think it is the same. The sari sari Fillipino store in dun laoghaire opposite walters pub near the park has a lot of different coconut stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco have blue dragon brand coconut milk on offer at the moment, full fat, and low fat. Might be a better option as it will mix far easier. I would go full fat, it was 62 or 68% coconut, the other was just watered down, think only 28% coconut.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-348.aspx

All the syrups you'll ever need for cocktails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

The Asia Market on Drury St. have a tin of coconut cream made specially for Pina Colada's.

• Advertisement

Supervalu have their own brand range of kitchen essentials now with coconut milk at 1.09 Euro a can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

I manage a nightclub and i believe the coconut cream that's perfect for pina colada's is the one you find in asian markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i actually tried making a pina colada with that blue dragon stuff. and my god does it taste like ****.

it could well be my technique cause this is the first time i tried it but its not good. not good at all

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think its the same stuff.

apparently not. you can try boiling off the water but thats probably not a good idea either

towel401 wrote: »
    i actually tried making a pina colada with that blue dragon stuff. and my god does it taste like ****.

it could well be my technique cause this is the first time i tried it but its not good. not good at all

Only a small bit of the cream bro, it's just for a hint.. What rum are you using?

• Advertisement

bacardi

towel401 wrote: »
    bacardi

Have you got a blender? Try using Havanna Club.. Bacardi does'nt even come close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Old thread I know but worth resurrecting for this question..

Top marks for the link for this firstly shanel23 but I am just home from a trip to America and my god their liquor stores over there are seriously impressive. The things I miss and wanted to see if I can get here are the following:

Bacardi Coconut (flavoured)
    Vodka Coconut (flavoured)
    Master of Mixes Strawberry Daiquiri Mix (feckin delsih if you have never tasted it!!!)
    Master of Mixes Pina Colada Mix (ditto)

Now apart from that I have looked many places for these colada and daiquiri mixes and its not possible to get the Master of Mixes brand here and postage from US of A for such a heavy carton even if they did post internationally would be mental so I was going to make the Colada myself, if you try the same do not think that coconut milk is the same as creme of coconut or coconut cream cos it just isn't! :(

Anyone ever tried these mixtures and know where I might find similar? No guessers please as it generally leads up a blind alley :cool:

shanel23 wrote: »
    http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-348.aspx

All the syrups you'll ever need for cocktails

Advertisement