Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Infancy (Urgent)

• 20-03-2008 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I'd greatly appeciate it if anyone could provide a link to an article on the law of infancy/doli incapax as it currently stands.

Afaik the law in this area changed in 2006, and unfortunately all the main textbooks (Charlton/Hanly/McIntyre) and even the current Griffith manual seem to be out of date.

Thanks- help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Part 5 of the Children Act, 2001.

Commenced by SI 524/07 if I recall correctly.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Nah, doli incapax is gone unfortunately/entirely abolished.

S.52(3) od the Children Act 2001 (as substituted by the Criminal Justice Act 2006).

Proceedings against a child under the age of 14 must be carried out with the consent of the DPP - See 52 (4).

For your reference search Section 129 of this act http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2006/A2606.pdf and seek out the term 'abolished'.

Tom

PS: Utah you're right, none of the text books are in date in re. this matter. See the act and also see Section 134. Ciao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oh, they've finally commenced it? I remember our criminal lecturer saying that she rang them up evey year and got the same response - "should be next year".

Have they sorted out the juvenile courts shortages then? (Apparently that was one of the reasons they couldn't comence that part of the act).

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Oh, they've finally commenced it? I remember our criminal lecturer saying that she rang them up evey year and got the same response - "should be next year".

Have they sorted out the juvenile courts shortages then? (Apparently that was one of the reasons they couldn't comence that part of the act).

Yeah but see the 2006 Act, it was commenced but I believe superceeded ....unless I am reading it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Thanks for the help. As I understand, the law on infancy is currently:

The Children Act (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 2006)
    Section 52 (as amended) states:

(1) Subject to subsection (2), a child under
    12 years of age shall not be charged with an
    offence.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a child
    aged 10 or 11 years who is charged with murder,
    manslaughter, rape, rape under section 4 of the
    Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990 or
    aggravated sexual assault.

(3) The rebuttable presumption under any rule
    of law, namely, that a child who is not less than 7
    but under 14 years of age is incapable of committing
    an offence because the child did not have the
    capacity to know that the act or omission concerned
    was wrong, is abolished.

(4) Where a child under 14 years of age is
    charged with an offence, no further proceedings in
    the matter (other than any remand in custody or
    on bail) shall be taken except by or with the consent
    of the Director of Public Prosecutions”.

Section 76C of the Children Act 2001 states:
    Where a child under 14 years of age is
    charged with an offence, the Court may, of its own
    motion or the application of any person, dismiss
    the case on its merits if, having had due regard to
    the child’s age and level of maturity, it determines
    that the child did not have a full understanding of
    what was involved in the commission of the offence.”.

Does this mean that there is no rebuttable presumption at all now?- under the common law there was a rebuttable presumption between 7-14 years....

(The 2001 Act in sub-section 2 actually mentions the rebuttable presumption between 12-14,
    but the 2006 Act, which amends the provision, in sub-section 3 provides that the rebuttable presumption is abolished.)

See above, 2006 neutralises that. It abolishes Doli Incapax.

I am told a presumption of Doli Incapax might be allowed - but with deference to the 2006 Act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I fully understand the changes now. I was tired and a bit confused the other night, but I'm quite clear on infancy now.

Once again thanks for the help- Johnny S & Tom- much appreciated.

Advertisement