Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Design

Options
  • 20-03-2008 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I have been told that graphics design would be a good career choice. I was just wondering what exactly that line of work would involved and what qualifications I would need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

You will need to be more specific with your question to enable people to help you. At the moment you may as well be asking "How do I get a job in Business".

"Graphic Design" is a very broad term. Basically Graphic design is the process of communicating visually using text and images to present information.

Rather than thinking of specific qualifications or what work you be doing, try thinking in the reverse. If you tell us what sort of job you would like, people would be able to suggest certain courses or directions to help you achieve that.

You say you were told graphic design would be a good career choice, ask yourself why that person say that. Was it because you are good at drawing? Because you like photography etc.?

Think about what you want to work at then find the course. Don't worry about qualifications yet. Think about what you want to end up with. Would you like to design a magazine layout, would you like to produce a website? Do you want to make a short film or animate an episode of Spongebob Squarepants?

If you want to do all of those things, that's completely fine too. At least you'll have a starting point. Other people here will be better able to advise you on courses than me but they'll need more info.

I know it's hard deciding on a career path but even ruling things out would be a start. Maybe you hate working with computers and programming etc.

Have a think about it and post back. and I'm sure people will be more than happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I'm doing a Graphic Design degree course at Chester Uni and the advice I'll give is its a fantastic thing to do if you enjoy creating. I can't say much about jobs but trust me, you will HAVE to work hard at it to get anywhere, and I mean hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

I'm studying graphic design in Waterford, covers a whole range of things, drawing, photography, typography, lettering, IT, webdesign etc etc at the moment I like to design posters for gigs and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I think that a career in Graphic Design woud be an excellent choice.
    Many businesses are employing designers to update their websites and there seems to be plenty of work.

It's also a friendly business, linked to journalism and education.

Advertisement