Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday - no drink - acceptable now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

derek27 wrote: »
    The fact that the sale of alcohol is forbidden and abstinence from meat is expected on Good Friday are the only things that actually make the day stand out from any other day in the year... most people, including people who regard themselves as being religious, don't even know what Good Friday is about from a religious perspective... if we could go pub and what not as usual, then the religious celebration of Good Friday would slip into oblivion as people would just do what they would every other Friday and not even know when Good Friday was coming about.

Why am I forced to care what 'Good Friday is about from a religious perspective'? Why would I care if it 'slipped into oblivion'?

I'm so sick of that pathetic organisation forcing it's ridiculous beliefs on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Tusky wrote: »
    Christmas has become less and less about religion and more about a seasonal end of year celebration. Nothing wrong with that. How many people give a second thought about religion when opening their presents or chatting to family ? Regardless of the religious affiliation, people need holidays throughout the year.

I 100% agree.
    Religion is not important to a lot of people but saying that it is to a core of Christians (Im not One) in this country and traditionally that has been the case here in Ireland for quite some time. I believe that respect must be shown to those who wish to celebrate their religious festivals as they always have. Of course that will al change with time as we become a more multi ethnic society but my mother for example would be a devout Christian and this time of year is very important to her and her beliefs.
    So TWO DAYS without been legally allowed to enter a pub or buy alcohol is such a tiny thing when you look at the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'm Irish, always have been.

But 22 years ago my father had the good sense to see that alot of people are full of sh1t, and didn't force fairy tales on me.

Now I'm told I cant buy a couple of good beers to have on the beginning of my long weekend(which is more about a few days off my boss decided to give me than because of any ridiculous story book), because of others beliefs.

This IS a secular state, I AM Irish, and I drink very little, but today I feel like having a few beers.
    This isn't Saudi Arabia, we aren't governed by religion, and if any of you hypocrites want to impose these ridiculous laws, you had better turn veggie for the day, not use condoms and abstain from impure thoughts.

Fuck this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

sombaht wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, do you object as strongly to having to take St Patricks Day off? Another religious motivated holiday celebrating the introduction of Catholocism to this land? Or is that ok 'cos you can still get a pint?

Cheers,
    sombaht
    No I don't, because I think there should be more public holidays anyway, irrespective of what religious festivals occur throughout the year. However I do object in principle to the state recognising certain religious festivals and not others. If St Patricks Day was done away with and we got a replacement holiday instead, I'd be just as happy. I'm not a huge drinker at all, but banning the sale of alcohol is a more overt indication of religious influence because it is a restriction rather than a liberty, and so it obviously arouses more concern. If instead of alcohol they banned the sale of pistachio nuts on good friday, I would be just as concerned, even though they give me the trots.

Motosam wrote: »
    I'm Irish, always have been.

But 22 years ago my father had the good sense to see that alot of people are full of sh1t, and didn't force fairy tales on me.

This IS a secular state, I AM Irish, and I drink very little, but today I feel like having a few beers.
    This isn't Saudi Arabia, we aren't governed by religion, and if any of you hypocrites want to impose these ridiculous laws, you had better turn veggie for the day, not use condoms and abstain from impure thoughts.

Your father may of thought a lot of good things but this is not a secular state, our constitutions is so rapped up in the Catholic religion it’ll blow your mind!!

This isn't Saudi Arabia…………. very true and thank who ever, it’s Ireland.;)
    We aren't governed by religion……….. again our constitution is!! :)

Veggies, condoms, impure thoughts…….. Well really!! You’ll be starting your own religion up next! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

DubArk wrote: »
    I 100% agree.
    Religion is not important to a lot of people but saying that it is to a core of Christians (Im not One) in this country and traditionally that has been the case here in Ireland for quite some time. I believe that respect must be shown to those who wish to celebrate their religious festivals as they always have. Of course that will al change with time as we become a more multi ethnic society but my mother for example would be a devout Christian and this time of year is very important to her and her beliefs.
    So TWO DAYS without been legally allowed to enter a pub or buy alcohol is such a tiny thing when you look at the bigger picture.

How about you abstain from drinking on those days (and/or other days), instead of enforcing it?
    Surely that would show more dedication (or any at all) to your god?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Your father may of thought a lot of good things but this is not a secular state, our constitutions is so rapped up in the Catholic religion it’ll blow your mind!!

This isn't Saudi Arabia…………. very true and thank who ever, it’s Ireland.;)
    We aren't governed by religion……….. again our constitution is!! :)

Veggies, condoms, impure thoughts…….. Well really!! You’ll be starting your own religion up next! :D

No meat on good friday, no condoms, no coveting this that and the other, no sex before marriage, no abortion, babies go to limbo, wait they dont, wait they do, wait they dont.

Now let anyone who believes all of this choose not to drink, not impose it on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

I do object in principle to the state recognising certain religious festivals and not others.

What religious festivals are we not recognising?

Cheers,
    sombaht

Motosam wrote: »
    No meat on good friday, no condoms, no coveting this that and the other, no sex before marriage, no abortion, babies go to limbo, wait they dont, wait they do, wait they dont.

Now let anyone who believes all of this choose not to drink, not impose it on me.

Then have a drink! Eat a Big Mac! Pop a Condom on... Ride somone.. and get over it!!

YOUR free to do all these things today! You just cant purchase any booze from a shop or pub!

The abortion issue is another subject I agree!! To big to even go into on this thread!!
    Happy Holiday my freind. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well there is a current ban on me being able to celebrate one of the most important dates in my own personal religion. This involves lots of drink and meat eating and just happens to fall on the Friday before the first Sunday after the spring full moon each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hannukah, Eid-Ul-Adha... Anything not Christian.

Well there is a current ban on me being able to celebrate one of the most important dates in my own personal religion. This involves lots of drink and meat eating and just happens to fall on the Friday before the first Sunday after the spring full moon each year

I don't think there is a ban on the consumption of meat and alcohol on the Friday before the first Sunday after the spring full moon each year for non-Catholics, more just a ban on the purchase of alcohol on the same day. ;)

Cheers,
    sombaht

Hannukah, Eid-Ul-Adha... Anything not Christian.

So if were to close the pubs on those days as well and take a days holiday it would be ok yeah?

Cheers,
    sombaht

Edit: Actually I would be all for celebrating every other religious festival under the sun if it entitled me to a few more days off work!

The-Rigger wrote: »
    How about you abstain from drinking on those days (and/or other days), instead of enforcing it?
    Surely that would show more dedication (or any at all) to your god?[/quote]

I have at least four time said in all me responses IM NOT A CHRISTIAN! Im not affiliated to any religion.

So don’t assume that I am. :mad:

Why didnt you buy some drink yeaterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I had 6 shots of aftershock in front of me at 12:05am last night/today. Sure I bet himself was dieing for a pint up on that cross.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I had 6 shots of aftershock in front of me at 12:05am last night/today. Sure I bet himself was dieing for a pint up on that cross.

Guinness tastes smooth and velvety and slides easily down the throat which means several more can be drank quickly compared to other beers. Beware though, because of this and an ABV OF 4.1% it can leave you with a condition called Guinness tongue which leaves you slurring and talking gibberish.
    There isn't the hoppy after taste that you get with other beers which means you don't actually get sick of the taste of it.

Yum yum!!! ;)

Cheers,
    sombaht

Eid

edit:
    So if were to close the pubs on those days as well and take a days holiday it would be ok yeah?

Cheers,
    sombaht

Edit: Actually I would be all for celebrating every other religious festival under the sun if it entitled me to a few more days off work!

So where do you draw the line? Only major religions? Then you're discriminating against the other religions. Does having less numbers in some way illegitimise others' faiths? Is it only recognized religions in Ireland that should be given this benefit? What if I have my own personal beliefs that involve me taking a week off to pray every month? Just tough luck I guess.

Or should we just recognize everybody's religion and have 365 days of religious festivals and never go to work? Sounds good to me. Can't see it working however.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't think there is a ban on the consumption of meat and alcohol on the Friday before the first Sunday after the spring full moon each year for non-Catholics, more just a ban on the purchase of alcohol on the same day. ;)
    Thats all fine except that my religion requires that all of this consumption takes place in special religiously consecrated buildings that you may have heard of refered to as pubs and also the paying of large donations which then get shared between the governent, diageo and what other in religions may be called a preist, but I prefer the name "landlord".

o where do you draw the line? Only major religions?
    I dont see where I'm drawing the line? As said " I would be all for celebrating every other religious festival under the sun", I think thats pretty all encompassing. If push came to shove I guess it would include all religions that are "recognised by the state" to prevent "silly" people from dreaming up a religion that requires them to take 6 out of every 7 days off for "religious practices".:)

Malaysia celebrates Muslim, Chinese, Hindu and I think Christian festivals including the ones that require days, so you get Muslim owned business closing for the likes of Deepavali. Would be nice to see similar here in Ireland

Regards,
    sombaht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Advertisement

special religiously consecrated buildings that you may have heard of refered to as pubs
    Heard of them, even frequented once upon a time. Not much anymore though, not since they dont seem to serve the beers I like to drink. :( (most of them anyway)
    And this religion of yours then, what's it's name? The Church of Robinph?:p get it recognised as a valid religion and you might have a case on your hands, provided we could get the state to celebrate all "recognised" religious holidays.

Cheers,
    sombaht

I dont see where I'm drawing the line?

I guess it would include all religions that are "recognised by the state" to prevent "silly" people from dreaming up a religion that requires them to take 6 out of every 7 days off for "religious practices".:)

Boom! You just drew a line!

For the sake of being practical you're discriminating against people who might not have as populist views as the rest of the country. They supposed to just slave away on their days of prayer? Or dip into their precious holidays?

"44.2.3° The State shall not impose any disabilities or make any discrimination on the ground of religious profession, belief or status."

Boom! You just drew a line!

Not quite, if you look at the FULL context of the quote I said
    If push came to shove I guess it would include all religions that are "recognised by the state"

And my reasons for that were
    to prevent "silly" people from dreaming up a religion that requires them to take 6 out of every 7 days off for "religious practices".

because as you quite rightly pointed out
    should we just recognize everybody's religion and have 365 days of religious festivals and never go to work? Sounds good to me. Can't see it working however.

It would indeed never work.

Cheers,
    sombaht

For the sake of being practical you're discriminating against people who might not have as populist views as the rest of the country. They supposed to just slave away on their days of prayer? Or dip into their precious holidays?

Well actually this is allready in place, as a Muslim colleague of mine had to dip into his holiday bank to take a few days off for Eid al Fitr (end of Ramadan I think). Now id we could get the government to recognise these religious holidays he wouldnt have to do this, and we'd all get a few extra days as well.
    See, religious based holidays are not a bad idea! @)

Cheers,
    sombaht

Of course, but it would still be necessary to draw that line for the reasons we both highlighted. And by so doing you are deciding what is and is not acceptable as a religion. Who are you (or indeed anybody) to say that someone's faith is of less import than another person's? That for the sake of convenience, certain people should not be free to celebrate their festivals and carry out their customs, while others are. It so happens that Catholics in Ireland have a rather benign and soft idea of what religious expression is, but not everyone shares that view, and their silly religion warrants just as much respect as the major (silly) religions, surely.
    Well actually this is allready in place, as a Muslim colleague of mine had to dip into his holiday bank to take a few days off for Eid al Fitr (end of Ramadan I think). Now id we could get the government to recognise these religious holidays he wouldnt have to do this, and we'd all get a few extra days as well.
    See, religious based holidays are not a bad idea! @)

Cheers,
    sombaht

Indeed -- and this is fair? We both think not. So then Christians and Muslims get their festivals celebrated, but not smaller sects and cults and individuals.

... prevent "silly" people from dreaming up a religion ...
    I thought the whole cause of this thread was down to some daft beliefs and imaginary friends that some people came up with a few thousand years ago? ;)

And by so doing you are deciding what is and is not acceptable as a religion. Who are you (or indeed anybody) to say that someone's faith is of less import than another person's?

Actually I am not deciding what is or is not a religion. I believe the state does that allready. Islam is a recognised religion within Ireland as is Sikhism, Hindu, Buddhist etc etc. As to what makes these recognisable and other not, I cannot be sure but I believe it has to do with a certain % of the population practising it, this is usually determined during the census.
    I seem to recall something in the last census in the UK that tried to claim Jedi as a religion as a certian percentage of people put down Jedi Knight as their religion.:) Dunno what the outcome was though.

Cheers,
    sombaht

I thought the whole cause of this thread was down to some daft beliefs and imaginary friends that some people came up with a few thousand years ago?

Nice one! Well spotted! :D

Cheers,
    sombaht

Actually I am not deciding what is or is not a religion. I believe the state does that allready. Islam is a recognised religion within Ireland as is Sikhism, Hindu, Buddhist etc etc. As to what makes these recognisable and other not, I cannot be sure but I believe it has to do with a certain % of the population practising it, this is usually determined during the census.

Yeah I know it's already done -- is that fair? Or merely practical? :pac:

• Advertisement

is that fair? Or merely practical?

Practical most likely, but I would not call it unfair either.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

rb_ie wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, it's only one fcking night and if people can't go without for one night of the year, then they've a massive problem to address.

What's even more unfortunate is that people feel the need to go out and get absolutely bollocksed the next day, as if to make up for not being able to the day before.

What about we ban a random product another day? It doesn't matter what the product is, it's just stupid and pointless to have a restriction on it for a random day that means nothing to a lot of people.

Why can't "catholics" go a day with out drink by their own free will? What is wrong with THEM? They are the ones who don't want to drink, but they need the church to hold their hand - well more like put a leash on them for a day.

It's not about others (non catholics/people who don't care for it) "not being able to stay away from the drink for a night". Some people who might drink on good friday might not have drank for a few days/months/years/whatever.

I don't have a problem with some people not drinking on good friday. I equally don't have a problem with people drinking. It should be up to the shops/pubs/clubs whether to sell/open today.

JavaBear wrote: »
    Why can't "catholics" go a day with out drink by their own free will? What is wrong with THEM? They are the ones who don't want to drink, but they need the church to hold their hand - well more like put a leash on them for a day.

I agree with you I think this is a very good point! Hadn’t quite seen it that way! My eyes have been opened.

Thanks.:)

What's even more unfortunate is that people feel the need to go out and get absolutely bollocksed the next day, as if to make up for not being able to the day before.

This is the one thing I really have trouble in understanding :confused: Do we generally feel as though we have "missed out" on a nights drinking and so we try and play "catch up" the next night? Are we really that dependant on drink?

As was posted earlier
    then its 10 mins to closing time so you order another 2 pints and a large chaser.

Why is that? Has a quota been introduced of late? XX number of drinks have to be consumed or else the night out is deemed to be a waste?:confused::confused::confused:

Don't get me wrong I love my pint as much as the next man, but I just can't get my head round the whole idea of drinking far more than you are capable of in such a short space of time.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Macros42 wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with abstaining. I abstain regularly (as in I don't drink every night) but I do have a problem with the church telling me when I can't drink or what I can eat. :D

So in answer to the OP - no it's not acceptable now. Ireland is no longer a purely Christian country and these out-dated laws should be repealed.

Well said..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Was gunna make a thread on this.

I think in these days and ages it's absolutely ridiculous that we have to adhere to laws that are set from a religious viewpoint. It's 2009, not the dark ages. It's time we end this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's 2009, not the dark ages. It's time we end this nonsense.

I'm off to the time machine and microwave forum, something is amiss.

I think in these days and ages it's absolutely ridiculous that we have to adhere to laws that are set from a religious viewpoint. It's 2009, not the dark ages. It's time we end this nonsense.

Someone missing out on their drinking!!! Or drank to much and think they've had a black out!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

whats all the fuss about-just buy your drink the day before. and for all the people complaining about religion imposing this on you, im sure your not complaining about a day off on monday being imposed on you, by that same religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I think it's ridiculous in this day and age, that still still continues. Ireland needs to break it's old fashioned affair with the church....

I'm not religious, like plenty of other people and others who are not christian, so why should this section of society be stopped from going out and drinking today should they wish!

Someone missing out on their drinking!!! Or drank to much and think they've had a black out!!:D

Crap, we're still in 2008? Ah feck it anyways. I was hoping this year was going to be over!

Bring on 2009. Year of the hamster!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hugsr4free

I don't care I would drink today only because I can't, its like reversed physiology if you can't you want to and if you could well at least thats your own choice. Its like taking candy from a baby lol :) Unfortuantly I did not stock up!

Its 2008!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

dlofnep wrote:

Its also ridiculous that we had to introduce a smoking ban to limit to damage being done to individuals and third parties, tax payers and the health system as the result of smoking.

But as its 2008 or 2009 (im confused!), people seem to have an attitude of less responsibility and dont care less about anything other than themselves.

hugsr4free wrote: »
    Its 2008!

I'm posting from the future. Keep up.

I want drink :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

This post won't get old until february 2010, well played ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The Good Friday ban on alcohol is the same ban as the one on Christmas day. However, searching through the Dail's historical debates, I came across the following interesting piece about it being legal to purchase alcohol outside your home on Christmas day:
    They amended sections 6, 7 and 12 of the Bill and relax the times during which it will be lawful for premises that are hotels, restaurants or registered clubs to provide alcohol with a meal on Christmas Day. Instead of the present situation where premises may open for three hours in the afternoon – between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. – and a further three hours in the evening – between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. – they will now be permitted to open from 12 midday right through to 10 p.m.

The purpose behind the exemption is to permit persons to enjoy a drink with a meal on a day that is, for the purposes of the licensing laws, a closed day. This amendment gives ample opportunity to people who wish to enjoy a drink with a meal outside their own homes on Christmas Day to do so.

For some reason it doesn't seem to apply to Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Take Jesus out of the equation and its a friday like any other. As I dont believe the J mans death has anything in the slightest to do with me I dont see why I should be denied a pint or steak.

ERGO

Pints and steaks for some, miniature US flags for others!

*cue the applause*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hellm0 wrote: »
    Take Jesus out of the equation and its a friday like any other. As I dont believe the J mans death has anything in the slightest to do with me I dont see why I should be denied a pint or steak.

ERGO

Pints and steaks for some, miniature US flags for others!

*cue the applause*

Nobody is denying anyone of anything here. Its up to the individual to make the choice.

Jesus was crucifed on GF to save the rest of us, he sacrificed his life for us sinners. So in salut to that Catholics make the sacrifice of not eating meat on a friday. Well, it used to be the way anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

faceman wrote: »
    Nobody is denying anyone of anything here. Its up to the individual to make the choice.

Eh... publicans are forced to close their business for the day. They have no choice in the matter.

We are not allowed go to the pub. We have no choice in the matter.
    faceman wrote: »
    Jesus was crucifed on GF to save the rest of us, he sacrificed his life for us sinners.

You have to be insane/stupid to believe that ****e.

In this day and age it is embarrassing our Government takes that nonsense seriously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement