Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Jazz and blues always put together?

• 20-03-2008 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Especially when your not that fond of Jazz but love Blues.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Heh, well I think that because on their own neither has enough interest - so pubs like JJs or forums like this just about manage to keep going.

Jazz is also largely derived and influenced by the blues, many jazz tunes work from a 12-bar form, or use blues licks when soloing. So I suppose it makes sense stylistically aswell. But it is kinda funny now that you mention it - just thinking of all the record stores that do this aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You could also say why is not everything i.e. classical, jazz, blues, experimental, rock, ect, not put under "music". It's all music is it not?

As for jazz and blues, as said above, they are very closely related. Some artists who are famous for one also play a little of the other.

Personally I dont think lumping them together is any big problem. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Well I'd imagine many people (myself included) who are into one will like the other. While I'm more of a jazz fan, I do like blues and have gone to a fair few blues gigs. And like Daddio said, gathering together followers of both is more likely to let places like bars and venues (and this forum!) be sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I love Jazz and Blues but, although there are similarities I think they're two completely different genres! Dunno why they're grouped together..

That said, I can understand in this site why they're put together. Can't imagine there'd be much activity if there were individual forums for Jazz and Blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

scipio wrote: »
    Especially when your not that fond of Jazz but love Blues.:(

No idea. I'm the same. Just can't get into Jazz.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »

Again, I dont see the problem here :) Most venues that cater for jazz and blues very seldom have them on at the same time. So you can choose to go and see a blues band and avoid that dreaded jazz :D Likewise in record stores where they are together, surely you know which is which. ;)

I honostly dont see the point of this thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I just idle conversation isn't it. Like why are triangular sandwiches nicer than plain rectangular ones. :D Like others have posted I guess its just because they are niche genres so it makes sense to group niche genres for non musical reasons.

I just idle conversation isn't it.

It sure is ................ and also pointless IMO. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

But interesting nonetheless, hmmm...

/goes off to make sandwich and ponder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

well jazz is a derivitive of the blues or at least it is heavily rooted there ..that's how it all started, the structure of the your typical 12 bar blues with its 3 chords evolved into the early jazz of billy holiday, louis armstrong etc...charlie parker later evolved it further into a fully fledged straight ahead sound and miles davis and john coltrane bridged that sound into the modern era...comapre the standard jazz blues changes and you'll see it's just a structured blues underneath with changes between the changes...summertime by gerswhin uses a whole tone opening bit which is strutured on a blues form but when its orchestrated you might not even realise that it is blues based music...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was the same, until one night listening to RTE's LyricFM and it all just clicked, since then I can't get enough of Jazz.

Now I want it all the time, when I drink. When I'm alone and feeling blue, when I'm making love - its pretty much consumed me in the last few months.

Why?, haven't a clue!.

Advertisement