Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Admin] Do Distance Selling regulations apply to boards.ie?

Options
  • 20-03-2008 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Since boards.ie sells subscriptions online, do the distance selling regulations apply?

http://www.eic.ie/legislation/distance_selling.htm

Specifically stuff like name and address, tax (vat) info etc.

Jus a thought. Would hate to see boards.ie get into trouble;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Officially the subscription is a donation, not a purchase of services. So the above regs don't apply.

An admin will be along to clarify though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

In order to do certain things like change your name you have to buy a subscription, so I don't think it could be called a donation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

It has always been regarded as a donation (vbulletin calls it a subscription) but you are probably correct that it has evolved into a semi service.

Although boards.ie does not activley promote this as a service, perhaps it is time that we did examine it as a possible revenue stream.

Thanks for the heads up.

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

Vexorg wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Vex.
    LOL! You're welcome, tho I wasn't coming at it from that angle.

I am involved with distance selling stuff myself at the moment, and trying to be compliant with the regs, and it struck me that boards.ie is a probably distance seller too, as it takes money "over the internet" in exchange for services/features.

Advertisement