Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disconnecting Battery Terminals

Options
  • 20-03-2008 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Folks, I need to do some work on my motor which will involve disconnecting the battery cables. I've heard of some people loosing imobiliser codes and the like..can this be true. I'd expect to have to unlock the radio, but that would be the extent to it...
    Anyone encounter unexpected issues when power was reconnected??
    Thks,:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

the only think I have ever had to reset after disconnecting a battery was radio code and date and time, I suppose it is possible for there to be execptions to the rule but I've never come across one. Give a bit more info such as make model and year and you should get a better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just be sure to have the key in your pocket! If you have the key in the ignition and turned to 'off' it is possible that some systems may be still active (depending on the make & year) and this may cause some warning lights to come on. Once the key is removed you should be OK.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

And disconnect the negative terminal first and when refitting reconnect it last!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

kbannon wrote: »
    And disconnect the negative terminal first and when refitting reconnect it last!!!
    Unless its a positive earth car. ie Micky Minors, old Minis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard you can wire a regular 9V PP3 battery across the terminals before removing the car battery and this is supposed to retain radio stations.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

Thanks for all the info folks...
    It's a '05 VW Golf BTW....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You wrote: »
    It's a '05 VW Golf BTW....

In that case, the stereo should be matched to the engine control unit. So there should be no need to input the radio code. Once a VW stereo is connected to the same engine ECU, it will recognise it as the same ECU as last connected to.

That said, no harm to have the code - just in case!

Advertisement