Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vary or not

Options
  • 20-03-2008 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

So had a discussion with the mother, and she was saying that if I feel comfortable with the man I'd doing my lessons with now I should stay with him for all 10, whereas I though maybe doing 5 with this guy and 5 with another would be better and give me a different "experience".

So in your position what would you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Depends on how good you think the instructor is, you might not wanna stay with the one person for 10 or even 5 lessons!

I got lessons off 2 diff people, one in Cork and he was brill and one where im actually doing my test and imo i thought he was rubbish compared to the first fella..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 We Are Leeds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Depends on how well you get on with the instructor.
    I heard some horror stories about the instructor I had but as soon as I got
    into the car for my 1st lesson he was grand and made me feel at ease so
    I stuck with him. Definately made learning a lot easier as I wasnt paniced
    or flustered when he was in the car with me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I got lessons off two people, but that was more because one of my instructors retired, i thought it was quite good to hear two opinions on my driving. But i wouldn't say it was a necessity, far from it, if you have a good instructor now i'd stay with him/her, rather than going around searching for another "good" instructor.

I don't know, I'd say it takes 3-4 lessons, to judge the instruction.
    If I had a test coming up, and I thought my instructor was fairly good and I could see that I was progressing. I don't think I'd risk it.

But If I was starting off again, I would definitely have shopped around.
    I feel that my first instructor instilled bad habits in my driving from the start, and I didn't have any expierence to know any better.

Then again if you feel prepared for your test after 5 lessons, it might do no harm at all to switch.

If I felt that I had put the effort in, and I still failed my test. I would definitely change instructors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Depends on how good you think the instructor is
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't know, I'd say it takes 3-4 lessons, to judge the instruction
    It's a bit of a catch 22 situation though. Most learner drivers wouldn't have enough experience to judge whether an instructor is good or not. Those of us who have been driving for many years would probably make better judgements but then again, we are not in a position to be using instructors.

Many learner drivers think that a good instructor is one that puts them "at ease". It not much point being put 'at ease' if you don't learn anything or learn all the wrong things. Some of the worst instructors out there are great at putting pupils 'at ease'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I did my lessons thru the IWA and the instructor they had at the time was f**king first class.

If you did something wrong, he would never come down hard on you, he would say stuff like - "(name), what are ya tryin to do to me!!!?", but in a funny way.

I built up a good rapore(sp?) with him and am still good friends with him to this day..........

Depends on the person you get, I suppose??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Well after 2 lessons I find him really good, he's sound and at the moment seems like a brillaint instructor. He's also got a 100% record over the last 2 weeks, 8 people who got lessons off him all passed 1st time over the last 2 weeks.:eek:

Sounds like he is a keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

So had a discussion with the mother, and she was saying that if I feel comfortable with the man I'd doing my lessons with now I should stay with him for all 10, whereas I though maybe doing 5 with this guy and 5 with another would be better and give me a different "experience".

So in your position what would you do?
    Bad idea. Unless you have reason to believe that your present instructor's instruction is not sufficient to get you a pass on the driving test, whereas anothers might, there is no benefit to switching.

As a learner, you probably won't know who gave you good instruction until you pass your driving test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cheers for the replies.;)

Advertisement