Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citywest to City Centre

Options
  • 20-03-2008 10:02am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So as unfortunately it looks like I'll be in Ireland for a while and will be working in the city centre I've decided to start cycling into work. I have a bog standard mountain bike so I'm just gonna use that to start.

My fitness would be average but on long cycles somestime I can get lightheaded (presume a lack of energy??)

So I'm wondering if anyone else does this cycle roughly how long should it take? Do you bring snacks for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I wouldn't even attempt distances like that until you get slick tires on the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

That's looking like a 16km journey according to Google Maps. Give yourself an hour initially and you can probably reduce it a bit.

You'll probably survive without snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

on that journey you'll have have the wind on your back almost everyday, the whole way in, which is nice. But the journey home is a different story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah I wont mind the cycle in but on the way home i'm sure i'd prefer to put the bike on the luas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Yeah I wont mind the cycle in but on the way home i'm sure i'd prefer to put the bike on the luas!

Having tried to get on a luas with a one wheeled bike (long story, other one had been nicked and was taking it in to get a new one), I can safely say they won't let you on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

It mightn't be so bad cycling home that route. you'll be passing long lines of stopped cars, which is a morale booster and could also break some of the wind.

I don't think you'll need food for the journey, but you'll need a bottle of water for the first few weeks of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭paddy111199

hey all,

will be cycling myself come next week. Just wondering can u cycle on the n81 from tallaght into town??

Dont know how to get around the roundabouts on the bike! any recommendations??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Dont know how to get around the roundabouts on the bike! any recommendations??
    The only safe way to tackle roundabouts is like in the rules of the road: you ARE a car, position yourself where the driver would be (layout and visibility is set-up for this position only), and stick there. This is one of the places you need to shepherd cars, else they'll side-swipe you, run you off the road. The only safe place to be is squarely in front of them (amazingly, drivers seem to be reluctant to ram a cyclist from behind, but I'm sure with a bit of therapy they could overcome even that inhibition)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Theres only one dangereous roundabout thats the M50 before Spawell for that you detour on the previous left which brings you onto the cycle/walkway. Assertivness is the key at roundabouts thats what your arms are for!!.

thanks all, so its still legal to cycle on the n81? i dont think it is legal to cycle on the duel carriageways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

It's perfectly legal to cycle on this road. The only roads that I can think of that cyclists are not permitted on are Motorway class roads (you know, blue signs, typically 120kmh speed limit etc) - e.g. the m50 itself. Motorways will have a sign on the way onto it specifying the types of vehicles not allowed - including bicycles. Every other road is fair game!

I can't picture this road exactly in my minds eye, but if there's a bus lane, the bus lane sign will most likely have a bike on it indicating that cyclists are allowed to share this lane with busses.

I'd echo previous posts - behave exactly as if you were a car. Put yourself into the correct lane - safely - indicate with your arms to other cars about what you're intending to do. Also, know and follow the rules of the road.

It sounds like you might be hitting the roads in rush hour for the first time. If this is the case, there's another current thread on here that will give you some tips on how to stay incident free - the thread on Anticipation and safety when cycling in traffic.

thanks for all your help and your timely information.

do you have any other cycling advice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

If you are just starting out, then I'd say 'stick with it'. If you're finding it hard and tiring, take a day or two off and come back rested. Keep an eye on the weather forecast and it might help you choose what are likely to be better days of the week to cycle. Once you build up a level of fitness, the benefits that you feel in everyday life are amazing - you'll be healthier, stress from the day will burn off, you don't need to pay to join a gym, you're commute will probably end up quicker than public/private alternatives...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭romperstomper

i live in kilbarrack and i've had the 'pleasure' in cycling to city west MANY times. biggest problem is not the distance, but the N7 can be treacherous and the mad cow roundabout is a pig's abortion. its a 28K cycle from my house to the office in city west and if i can haul my bulk there in less than 90 mins, i'm sure more normally porportioned beings can do 16K in 45 mins with a little practice.

Sorry me again,

just wondering what type of bike would u recommend for cycling into city??

Are the Hybrid bikes any good? what diff to normal mountin bikes are they?

my budget is arounf 500 but im pretty flexible.

Also where would u recommend buying the bike??

Cheers all!!

tyres are the important thing, if you are doing biug distances i'd recommend something around the 28mm mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

28mm?

BostonB wrote: »
    28mm?

tyre width

Advertisement