Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tears & clinging on when leaving every morning

Options
  • 20-03-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

I am posting this just wondering if anyone else experiences this:

Our 2 year old girl goes to a child minder during the working week.
    Now lately she has become very clingy and she gets very upset when we drop her off...she has no problem going into the child minder's house but the tears start when I (or the missus) actually leave the house!

I always stay there for 5 or 10 minutes just to settle her in but the tears start when I leave.

Now I know once I am gone she will often just stop crying and get on with her day...maybe I am just a feckin softie :)

She does lots of stuff during the day and we have no reason to doubt the child minder...so has anyone else experienced this??? Maybe I am just looking for some re-assurance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm a childminder and this is fairly common. Those that do it will stop within a minute or two once their parent has left. When this happens I'd normally phone the parent, often before the parent has even driven off and they can hear for themselves that the crying has stopped.

I've said to parents that once they leave they can then sneak round the side of the house and peep in the window and they can then see their child settled etc.

The same can happen at collection time. Parents can peep in the window and again see their child happily playing away and then once they spot their parent we can get the water works.

It might be better if you left fairly quickly in the morning, most childminders I know think that works best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yes you are probably right deisemum, my hanging around might make the whole thing worse.
    when i call to collect her she is normally in good form and not necessarily clinging on to me then, yes she is often eager to leave but i honestly think that is just because she gets a change of scenery..and we enjoy our 5 minute chat as we drive home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's the gas thing sometimes children cry coming in in the morning you'd think the childminder was going to torture them yet when their parent arrives in the evening and they start crying you'd think the parent was going to bring them home and be cruel to them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

I had friends whose (dreadful) 4 yr old had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the car then dragged out of the car and frogmarched to the gate into the school playground. The moment the wretch stood at the gate and saw kids having fun he just barrelled in and didn’t look back. Slow about leaving playground after school too. Every bloody morning! Aren’t kids supposed to be a powerful contraceptive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I love your descriptive terms Diairist :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement