Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320d

Options
  • 20-03-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

A friend of mine was looking at a 2001 BMW 320d with 125,000 miles on the clock
    - Its a N reg costing 6,500 but it will cost him another 3,500 to pay VRT

Is he asking for trouble or is this ok for a diesel car?
    What should he look out for ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Galactic mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

things to look out for are:
    Turbo wining, Suspension Bushes knocking, Service history,

If the car was well looked after, then 125,000miles isnt as bad as you might think, diesels can be good for over 200,000 if well maintained.

But sometimes buying the cheapest car with high mileage isnt always the soundest investment as worn parts are expensive to replace. and if your friend wants to sell it in 1 or 2 years time with say 150,000 on it, he'll have to sell it cheap.

for the Same money you might get a TDI passat or octavia with less mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

At 125K, there's a good chance that a lot of the parts have already been replaced. If you got one with 90K, there could be a few big services coming up. I'd hardly call 125K galactic mileage.

€10K all in isn't too bad, I don't know if there are many 2001 models around for that price.

@newcar - check back a page or too, there's been a couple of 320d threads over the last week with a good bit of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The 2001 was a 136BHP and didn't suffer from Turbo failure

As said above, the main things that would have taken strain is the suspension. It'll either have been replaced and be fine, or will be waiting to fall apart.

New shocks, wishbone bushings, track rod ends aint the end of the world, but something to factor into the price

Nice car BTW (I would say that) :D

Advertisement