Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Summons - loss of licence?!?

Options
  • 20-03-2008 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

Got pulled in for doing 129km in a 100km zone on Shannon Dual carriage. Garda showed me 129 on his gun although I had thought I was ONLY going 120km. I concede I could have slipped up to 129 for a while, but didn’t think I did – although I assume 129km is right.

Got a niggling feeling when the Garda was being very polite. ‘Sorry, but you were going slightly too fast.’ He took my licence, went back to his car and did his thing. He probably saw I’d no points on my licence.

However, he then came back gave me my licence and said something similar to being going slightly too fast, and he’d a contrite look on his face. Cue niggling feeling in the back of my head. He didn’t give out to me or anything.

As I drove off, I thought to myself there’s two points on my licence, but then I remembered his full words. I’m pretty sure he said I’d get a summons in the post!

Ah! Does this mean court? And does court mean loss of licence for a time?

Advice?:(:eek::(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sounds like you'll just get 2 points, wouldn't lose sleep over it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When I got done for speeding they immediately told me I got points.
    Did he say anything about that to you? Or just about the summons?
    You won't loose licence (I'm pretty sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

biko wrote: »
    When I got done for speeding they immediately told me I got points.
    Did he say anything about that to you? Or just about the summons?
    You won't loose licence (I'm pretty sure)

Just the summons, afaik. But, I'm only 90% sure he said summons. Under 'old money' I was just going over 80 mph. Is that a court case?

I'm busy at work here, but will try to keep up with any responses.

I am worried though! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

you got points mate.....I always take note of the garda's tag no. for future reference re court appeals etc.

That long safe stretch of road at Shannon is notorious for juicy points.....where as the winding dangerous roads at the back of Ennis you'll never see a check in sight.

Money grapping hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

You'll be fine, although you will get 2 points.

Anything over 160 though and it's a guaranteed ban.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks,

And I do agree with you bearcat! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Sorry to hear that BTW.
    You will get a letter, "SUMMONS", for a fine, and when you pay the fine then and only then will the points be added to your licence.
    Not the end of the world.:)

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that BTW.
    You will get a letter, "SUMMONS", for a fine, and when you pay the fine then and only then will the points be added to your licence.
    Not the end of the world.:)

Ah! Pheeeew! Can break the news to my wife so! She always gets the post before me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't they get you for dangerous driving too if you're 20 km/h over the limit too?(I hope they don't)

Apparently you can less than 1 in 1000 of a chance of getting caught speeding if you do.

Seriously hard luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Sounds like 2 points to me.... i'd say he just ment it was too quick to let you off (which he may have done at 110/115).........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

E92 wrote: »
    Don't they get you for dangerous driving too if you're 20 km/h over the limit too?(I hope they don't)

Apparently you can less than 1 in 1000 of a chance of getting caught speeding if you do.

Seriously hard luck OP.

It used to be 30mph over in old money = endorsement.

Dunno about dangerous driving charge, Guard would normally formally caution you if he was going to go that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

Got done doing 112kph in an 80kph zone. Garda was very nice, told me I was getting two points and sent me on my way. I got a fixed penalty notice in the post a few days later which I paid and that was the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well to be doing 129 your speedo woulod have been showing around 135/140 so I'd say definite points.

I'd imagine that was what the contrite look was about...probably thinking...does this guy really expect me to believe he thought he was doing 120.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Well to be doing 129 your speedo woulod have been showing around 135/140 so I'd say definite points.

I'd imagine that was what the contrite look was about...probably thinking...does this guy really expect me to believe he thought he was doing 120.

I didn't say a thing to the guard. Definitely wasn't going 135. For once, and here's the ironic thing, I was conciously keeping it to 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

smcgiff wrote: »
    I didn't say a thing to the guard. Definitely wasn't going 135. For once, and here's the ironic thing, I was conciously keeping it to 120.

Ah fair enough, unusual for a Garda to act like that so...only other assumption is they were out to keep the law and not to argue so didn't want to draw you.

Advertisement