Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Thailand?

• 20-03-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭

Heya,

I have just booked to go to Thailand this summer. Just wondering for all you people out there who have been, how much does it cost day to day? i have heard €20 - €25 per day is a fair estimate, what do you guys think?

Help would be appreciated as I need to get a loan of some sort sorted out!

Cheers,

Crisco10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Yeah you're not too far off the mark, €1k is enough to live comfortably for a month if you don't go over the top, plenty of rum buckets and cheap accomodation, flights is the worst part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

how long is a piece of string, it depends what you want to do every day, are you gonna be out partying every night, are you gonna eat in nice restaurants or eat on the cheap, even though restaraunts are cheap too, are you gonna travel round or stay in 1 place, if you plan on doing it on the cheap then it should work out cheap mfor you, it all depends what is gonna be your lifestyle over there, myself and my partner spent 2000 euros in 15 days there, but that included paying for the equivilant of a 3/4* irish hotel over there, eating out every night and boozing most nights, jet skii's all that kinda stuff, and also pressies for loved ones,

tis all up to u !!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

It certainly is possible to survive on €25 a day, its about 1200THB but would you want to? I generally pay between 1200 and 1500 for my hotel when in thailand so for me it certainly would not cover my daily expenses.
    Ideally it comes down to a few things:

1) Where would you like to stay, backpacker ghetto or tourist ghetto?
    2) Are you willing to eat locally (side of the road, food courts) or will you want to eat in fast food joints/restaurants?
    3) Do you want to hit the bars/clubs every night?
    4) Travel around in-country?
    5) Do a course diving/massage/cookery?

A few prices of daily items might give you an idea of expenses (these prices are 2 years old so they may be a little higher now)

One night in a 3/4 star hotel in tourist are: 1200 - 1500THB
    One night in a hostel in Khao Sarn Rd (backpacker area): 800THB (this is a rough guess, I admit I never stayed there)
    Local beer in a bar/ a go-go: 100THB
    Local beer in the 7-11: 38 THB
    Meal at local roadside restaurant: 40/50THB
    20 min Taxi ride: 80THB (approx)

The above prices are Bangkok prices, once you get outside the capital things are slightly cheaper ! euro is about 48 THB at the moment.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

how long is a piece of string, it depends what you want to do every day, are you gonna be out partying every night, are you gonna eat in nice restaurants or eat on the cheap, even though restaraunts are cheap too, are you gonna travel round or stay in 1 place, if you plan on doing it on the cheap then it should work out cheap mfor you, it all depends what is gonna be your lifestyle over there, myself and my partner spent 2000 euros in 15 days there, but that included paying for the equivilant of a 3/4* irish hotel over there, eating out every night and boozing most nights, jet skii's all that kinda stuff, and also pressies for loved ones,

tis all up to u !!

Well there are 2 couples going so we will prob do a fair share of eating out but prob a "reasonably" priced eateries. Simliarly we would prob go out say half the nights.
    Hostels. definitely.
    Havent quite decided on what islands yet, is there a huge difference in cost from one to the next?
    Also in terms of activities, we would prob do a fair bit without being extravagent. so bit of diving or biking etc....
    I suppose in summation we would be aiming to keep it cheap enough but at the same time be comfortable and willing to pay a little more for that comfort.

thanks folks. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

again its better to have too much money than not enough, nothing worse than scrimping your last few days, just bring what you can afford and cut your cloth accordingly, dont go crazy spending in the early pary of your holiday and get stuck for cash at the end of it, wait until the last few days of your holiday to purchase presents and that kinda stuff, its easier to balance your money and compare it to what you have left to do and buy towards the end of your holiday,

are you planning on staying in bangkok for long, my personal reccomendation would be 2 days in bangkok and move on, to be honest its a bit of a kip and it smells, go to the grand palace and the khao san road just to say you were there, outside of bangkok its a beautiful country,

best of luck, id love to be ye !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

again its better to have too much money than not enough, nothing worse than scrimping your last few days, just bring what you can afford and cut your cloth accordingly, dont go crazy spending in the early pary of your holiday and get stuck for cash at the end of it, wait until the last few days of your holiday to purchase presents and that kinda stuff, its easier to balance your money and compare it to what you have left to do and buy towards the end of your holiday,

are you planning on staying in bangkok for long, my personal reccomendation would be 2 days in bangkok and move on, to be honest its a bit of a kip and it smells, go to the grand palace and the khao san road just to say you were there, outside of bangkok its a beautiful country,

best of luck, id love to be ye !

cheers buddy,

i think we wanna "see" bangkok but not much more. so 2 days or so should be plenty. Im getting a loan for the summer so am trying to figure out how big a piece of cloth i need so to speak!

cant wait to be honest...

Advertisement