Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Stop in Henry Street.

Options
  • 20-03-2008 11:58am

After my last vist to this shop yesterday, i have just had to post about 4 previous visits i have had to the shop.

It all started with the release of the latest pro evo. I went into the shop after work. I saw the game on the shelf, i picked it up and then had to queue to pay for it. First of all there is no real queue system it just seems to be everybody standing around the counter. After 10 minutes i was getting a bit peed off and was going to leave as i still hadnt been served yet.
    I decided to stay and then it was my turn.
    I gave the guy the box, he took a look and scanned it in only to tell me they were sold out. So was a bit angry that i had to wait 10 minutes to hear that. Also it shouldnt be on the shelf if its sold out. OK left it at that, was happy to give my money to another shop.

Christmas came and i was to pickup an xbox 360 for my sister. She wanted the cheapest one there was. So i go by this shop and a big sign Xbox 360's preowned 199 in the window. So i go in and all the 360 boxes are packed in a pyramid shape and of course there is one on the floor an xbox 360 box Preowned 199. So i go up and queue again. This time i am waiting 35 minutes but i think well its christmas and its busy .Eventually i am getting served next. I ask him for the pre-owned xbox 360 for 199. He tells me they are sold out. So getting angry with this i then asked for the other pre-owned xbox next price up. He says they are sold out also, so then i asked if there any pre-owned xbox's and he said they have none. Yet they had the boxes with a big sign on display. Clearly angry, i did understand as it was christmas.

So in January i was walking by and i decided to pop in and see if there was any good PC games i could by. So i looked in their "Tiny" PC game section i saw a game , it was based on old style military battle. (cant remember the name) I went up to pay for it, this time there was no queue, but low and behold, it was sold out. From that moment i swore never to shop there again .

Well a couple of weeks again i wanted to buy Pirates of the Burning Sea. I wasnt going to go there, so i went to Smyths and it was not there. I tried HMV and it was not there, there were no other shop's within the area. I was walking past and i thought twice. So i decided just to look and there was the game. So i thought, fu(k it, here is a chance to redeem themselves. I go up and this time in only had to wait 7 minutes to be served . The guy takes the game box.
    Guess what ? ?

Oh the Anger, i did feel somewhat sorry for the person who was serving me as he did seem a little embarrased, he told me the next place i should try. But really what is going on there. The other main problem was there was nobody on the floor i could ask !!
    But really if somthign is sold out should they not just take the boxes off the shelf ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Just buy from www.play.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

But really if somthign is sold out should they not just take the boxes off the shelf ?

Did you not ask them any of the 4 times its happened to you? Why ask here and not there? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Plenty of other shops in the area. There's Gamestop on Liffey St and GAME in the Ilac.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gamestop are hopelessly rubbish - do a search on this board and you'll see there loads of similar topics about how bad they are, how much of a rip-off they are and how crap their service is. I don't even go in there anymore.

It's a shame really, I remember when they were just Gamesworld in the back of Chapters, trading in 3D0 games with the guys there who were really sound. Screw you corporate America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i like gamestop too before i met my online stores:D completely ripoff!especially dont ever trade in your games with them,Black+GT4+a B class game =about 20euro?i rather dump them in the bin:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Ya rang them up last night (henry st) looking for an xobx, guy on de phone said ya have a few second hand call in, I asked should I give a name and he said no need.

left work legged it all de way across town, went in, guy says they only have one and it's on hold, I told him about the phone call he said he didnt know what that was about. very rude very snappy didnt offer an alternative or anything

bunch of MUPPETS that'll never get my custom again!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Ya rang them up last night (henry st) looking for an xobx, guy on de phone said ya have a few second hand call in, I asked should I give a name and he said no need.

left work legged it all de way across town, went in, guy says they only have one and it's on hold, I told him about the phone call he said he didnt know what that was about. very rude very snappy didnt offer an alternative or anything

I wonder was that the one they put on hold for me?

Yet, funnily enough, when I got there, it was gone.

reckon it's a lot of favours for friends and all o that!

jesus i was raging leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Are all those second hand xboxes gone now? damnit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

, I asked should I give a name and he said no need.
    You should have gotten the persons name you were talking too. There is a gamestop in dun laoire that i often visit, but honestly your better off buying online! I just got the orange box through steam for €30!!!
    Hail to the credit card!!! :D

• Advertisement

Ah ya but I was ringing around so much I couldnt remember all names.

yer man said it could have been 6 or 7 people that answered the phone in the last hour

that's a lot of staff for 5.30 on a wednesday after noon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Sorry, i think that its on hold for me, popping in later today to collect it.
    Again, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

they dont take game boxes in when they are sold out, i wouldnt be suprised.

and i notice that in all the shops they dont keep their price checks correctly, many a time a store has had different prices for the same game

have to say i make it my business enver to shop there unless im getting discount

rip off shop, dont know how they make their business tbh

alot fos tupid people out there

The reason i went in for Pirates of the Burning sea was, i had bought it on line and had a couple of days off to play it. When i bought it from Direct2Download they never gave me the activation Key :rolleyes: They also have rubbish customer service which is computerised. I have to claim the money back from my credit card company.
    Otherwise i wouldnt buy from them .

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I hate gamestop. I hope they go out of business. [MOD EDIT: come on, that's a bit ott in a personal way].

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

alot fos tupid people out there
    I lol'ed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Just buy from www.play.com

Be careful there, cause they are based in Jersey, which is not considered part of EU even though its the UK, which means there is a charge on electronic goods etc. I got caught by this on a game once.

I still use the independent one back home, best shop ever. plus always get good advice on what new game to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And in completely opposite news, I found Capcom vs SNK 2 (PS2) in the Liffey St. branch, quick call & Marvel vs Capcom 2 (PS2) in Henry St. was reserved for me too.

I guess you're all just unlucky... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

folan wrote: »
    Be careful there, cause they are based in Jersey, which is not considered part of EU even though its the UK, which means there is a charge on electronic goods etc. I got caught by this on a game once.

I still use the independent one back home, best shop ever. plus always get good advice on what new game to get!

Regards play.com, they do not sell electronic equipment to people in Ireland. Only books, games and dvd's, no hardware or accessories like t-shirts or posters. I was not aware there can be a charge on games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Pfft, Gamestop is the devil of the gaming world.

€7 for FIFA 08 for the 360??

Yeah, piss off!

• Advertisement

Gamestop on Henry Street is an unpleasant, overpriced experience. Staff appear very elitist and almost disinterested in their work. For any xbox360 software, save 15-20 quid a game and just go to play.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Usually if a game is out in a week or so, they will have "fake" boxes,with no barcode on the shelf. If the game's been out a while and theres a box on the shelf, the "insides" are in the store room. Im surprised they couldent find the cd's for the 3 games you mentioned, maybe they have a crappy filing system....

Only place I buy games is Smyths or online.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

That reminds me, i went in to the Dun Laoire shop and on 2 occasions they didn't have the games, these were preowned cheap PS2 games! Thats why i wanted to buy them.
    Its actually quite funny if you ask them about pc games, a simply question like "can i play this on-line?", they haven't a clue!
    I once asked them about the network adapter for the PS2, I was told such a thing didn't exist! FFS...I just had to laugh at them! They didn't like that, tough sh*:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Froot wrote: »
    Regards play.com, they do not sell electronic equipment to people in Ireland. Only books, games and dvd's, no hardware or accessories like t-shirts or posters. I was not aware there can be a charge on games.

Anything they sell (apart from books), if it is valued at over ~€25 is liable for tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Kenjd wrote: »
    That reminds me, i went in to the Dun Laoire shop and on 2 occasions they didn't have the games, these were preowned cheap PS2 games! Thats why i wanted to buy them.
    Its actually quite funny if you ask them about pc games, a simply question like "can i play this on-line?", they haven't a clue!
    I once asked them about the network adapter for the PS2, I was told such a thing didn't exist! FFS...I just had to laugh at them! They didn't like that, tough sh*:rolleyes:

They are idiots. A direct quote from them "Game are not our competitor"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've never, ever heard of anything from play being actually stopped for tax though. I've ordered tons of DVDs and games from them over the years. Have stopped using them recently though because of the ridiculous Euro exchange rate they use. I buy my stuff from thehut.com now - pay in sterling and take advantage of the good exchange rates at the moment :)
    Their site says they only ship to the UK but they still send stuff to me in Ireland for no extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

gamestops prices are just incredibly bad. i remember the cork city gamestop had original preowned xbox games selling for like 20 euro for ages. they didnt sell so looks like they got rid of them some other way. all they needed to do was say ''all games 5 euro'' idiots. only thing about them is their staff know thier stuff unlike GAME patricks street, sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Stephen wrote: »
    I've never, ever heard of anything from play being actually stopped for tax though. I've ordered tons of DVDs and games from them over the years. Have stopped using them recently though because of the ridiculous Euro exchange rate they use. I buy my stuff from thehut.com now - pay in sterling and take advantage of the good exchange rates at the moment :)
    Their site says they only ship to the UK but they still send stuff to me in Ireland for no extra charge.

Well I got stung buying a DVD box set about a year ago, so now ya know one person at least who had to pay.

Stephen wrote: »
    I buy my stuff from thehut.com now

Thanking you. Zack and wiki is €12 cheaper there than play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you have a problem with the shop, say it to the manager, say that you are unhappy with the service and say you won't be shopping there again.
    In fact, go so far as to email the company and air your grievance.
    It'll certainly get you further than venting your bile here.

When I have looked for, usually, preowned games in any store I have, at times, been told they can't find it, and this includes them all.
    I have looked for new stock in HMV that the assistant can't find.
    The issue of PC software is simply that most people don't play it, they play console games, and I'm not talking about folk who use boards.ie here, most assistants I know simply don't have the experience with PC software to know all the answers, thats what forums are for I suppose.

Staff and their personal gaming knowledge should be taken on an individual basis, not en mass, as that is unfair, of the people I deal with there are those who play a lot of nintendo, those that play PS3 and most that play 360, and in each area they know their stuff, mostly.

If a new game is out of stock, that is unfortunate, but such is life, and contrary to a previous poster I have had few instances of this and I'm shopping in the Santry branch of Gamestop every week.

Mainly, I ring the shop before going if I want to make sure an item is in, especially if it's a new release, then I make the journey.

As for prices, well, yes, some of the preowned prices leave a lot to be desired but then, all stores have good and bad deals, typically preowned game discoveries are spur of the moment things, so it's not like you went there to buy that particular game and are disappointed.

High street stores are always going to be more expensive than the online version, no surprise there.

And, going from my experiences working for a number of years in both the Abbey and Liffey Street branches of Gamesworld, yes the fileing system is a bit ****e!

And for that matter, for some time I was the guy who had to deal with all the PC related questions, what a pain in the arse!

Advertisement