Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TK Maxx advertising jobs for new Waterford store

• 20-03-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know where in Waterford this store is going to be located? the TK Maxx website is advertising for managers for their new stores in Cork and Waterford and Carrickmines, Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ongarboy wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know where in Waterford this store is going to be located? the TK Maxx website is advertising for managers for their new stores in Cork and Waterford and Carrickmines, Dublin.

Hopefully it will be in the city centre and not a continuation of the march to the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

I heard a few months ago that they were going in along side B&Q on the cork rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

merlante wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be in the city centre and not a continuation of the march to the suburbs.

fook the city centre, 95% of people dont live in there and its a pain in the arse to park !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The last thing we need is for Waterford to experience the "Donut Effect" whereby the city centre is neglected and all development takes place in the outskirts. A clothes shop like TK Maxx has no excuse for not locating itself in the City Centre. There are plenty of premises available as outlined in several recent news articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

fook the city centre, 95% of people dont live in there and its a pain in the arse to park !

Unlike the major population centre that is Butlerstown, home to approximately half the south-east's population :rolleyes:

There's more to retail than availability of parking, although on that matter, I've never experienced difficulty getting parking in New St or James St - ever. How about public transport - how do people without cars get out to Butlerstown? The city centre is still the best location for the largest number of people when all factors are taken into consideration

Unfortunately the city council hasn't been proactive or aggressive enough in making sufficient - and more importantly, suitably sized - retail premises available to the likes of TK Maxx. Mr McCann hasn't helped with all his objections.

So to get back to the OP's question. I don't know for sure where it's going, but frankly I can only see one place where it could be going, and that's in the Butlerstown retail park (where B&Q are opening in April). That's at the junction of the Cork Road and Outer Ring Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

A clothes shop like TK Maxx has no excuse for not locating itself in the City Centre. There are plenty of premises available as outlined in several recent news articles.

The size of any of the tk maxx I've been in would preclude it from any of the city center areas I know of, Plus where would they get 500 parking spaces. Town is already packed from 9am every morning.

20% of the city's population (10,000 people) live in the city centre, and a lot more people live just outside it.

Who lives out by B&Q? Nobody.

There's always plenty of parking in the New st. carpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Thought the word was that it was opening in the new shopping centre in Ferrybank.
    But surely that's ages away from completion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

JPA wrote: »
    Thought the word was that it was opening in the new shopping centre in Ferrybank.

It, or at least some of it, is opening in August.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JPA wrote: »

That could be where its going.. I assume its not KK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

This attitude really pisses me off. :mad:There is no problem with parking in the city; New St, The Glen & Railway Sq are never full......NEVER. The problem is most people do not want to get of their hole and walk the length of a street or two; they want to drive between shops and park outside their doors.

With the city centre in its present weak state, a shop like TK Max on the outskirts is unhelpful to say the least. At the moment there is no balance in Waterford between city centre and city edge retail all the growth is in city edge retail and it has be shown all around the world that this causes nothing but problems. These idiots who appealed the Newgate Centre have a lot to answer for.:mad:

I would hope TK Max might go into Railway Sq but unfortunately it will probably go next to B&Q. :(

This attitude really pisses me off. :mad:There is no problem with parking in the city; New St, The Glen & Railway Sq are never full......NEVER. The problem is most people do not want to get of their hole and walk the length of a street or two; they want to drive between shops and park outside their doors.
    Amen to that. It's amazing how lazy people have got. It seems to be acceptable to block one lane of the Quay these days while people go in and out of shops and park on all sorts of corners and on footpaths. Sure won't the hazard lights make everything okay...
    With the city centre in its present weak state, a shop like TK Max on the outskirts is unhelpful to say the least. At the moment there is no balance in Waterford between city centre and city edge retail all the growth is in city edge retail and it has be shown all around the world that this causes nothing but problems. These idiots who appealed the Newgate Centre have a lot to answer for.:mad:
    It is a shame to see so many empty shops in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

fricatus wrote: »

There's more to retail than availability of parking, although on that matter, I've never experienced difficulty getting parking in New St or James St - ever. .

lets say for example you wanted to go to a hardware store, lets say the one by the entrance to city sq,
    if you had the choice of paying for parking in the city centre or go to woodies,morrisons, or even homebase, all with free parking, which would you choose first, most people go with something that is convienant, the city centre is a pain in the arse unless you live in there,

lets say for example you wanted to go to a hardware store, lets say the one by the entrance to city sq,
    if you had the choice of paying for parking in the city centre or go to woodies,morrisons, or even homebase, all with free parking, which would you choose first, most people go with something that is convienant, the city centre is a pain in the arse unless you live in there,

Yeah, but woodies, morrisons, or homebase are not the problem. It's when shops like TKMaxx go to the suburbs that we have problems.

In the end it will end up less convenient. Instead of heading into town, paying for parking, and hitting 6/7 shops, people will be heading out to Ardkeen, parking, then heading out to the inner ring road, parking, then heading to Lisduggan, then out by B&Q, then out to the new retail park being built on the outer ring road (Waterford retail park?), etc., etc., etc. There'll be no end to the number of car trips that will have to be made to do the same shopping -- just for a bit of free parking!

It's fine having the big warehouse places on the outskirts, but moving clothes shops, music shops, book shops, etc., out there would be a disaster. Roll on the Newgate centre if ABP ever make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

The last thing we need is for Waterford to experience the "Donut Effect" whereby the city centre is neglected and all development takes place in the outskirts. A clothes shop like TK Maxx has no excuse for not locating itself in the City Centre. There are plenty of premises available as outlined in several recent news articles.

The Problem with the "premises" available in recent news articles is that probably all of them are unsuitable for TK Maxx or any other modern retail business.As one of the posters already said TK Maxx is a fairly large store.I would not be too hard on the individual who said "fook the city centre" because this is the general atitude of most people wherever you go.

The whole point of the recent news articles is this.Waterford is becoming increasingly difficult to sustain city centre business because of the completely normal atitude that was expressed by junkster 12345.People want the stores like TK Maxx,HMV and all the rest.If they're not in Waterford they will go where they are be it Kilkenny,the suburbs or anwhere else.Maybe the city centre business needs to collapse for people to wake up.

It is great having a city centre full of cafés and small shops etc but the people who sustain these places are people looking for and visiting the bigger stores.It should be said at this point that the unsuitability of premises in Waterford are as much about working conditions as their ability to function for retailing. So the problem in Waterford is suitable premises.There is plans galore for suitable premises but they are all being held up by Brendan McCann.

What really bugs me is that there is ample evidence that Brendan McCann's activities,while not illegal are in contravention to the spirit and intent of the planning system and are contributing to unsustainable development and damaging the city economy.Seeing as the City management and Chamber of commerce know this it begs the question why they have not sought some form of legal advice to see if they could put some sort of civil injunction on him.Even a statement that it was looked into and is not feasable is something.But for all intent and purposes it looks like our civic leaders have not even tried.

For what it's worth if this is not in Ferrybank Shopping centre it will probably be next to B&Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Can someone not do something about that man, like charge him with being a menace to society and the development of the CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

mad man wrote: »
    There is plans galore for suitable premises but they are all being held up by Brendan McCann.

What really bugs me is that there is ample evidence that Brendan McCann's activities,while not illegal are in contravention to the spirit and intent of the planning system and are contributing to unsustainable development and damaging the city economy.Seeing as the City management and Chamber of commerce know this it begs the question why they have not sought some form of legal advice to see if they could put some sort of civil injunction on him.Even a statement that it was looked into and is not feasable is something.But for all intent and purposes it looks like our civic leaders have not even tried.

For what it's worth if this is not in Ferrybank Shopping centre it will probably be next to B&Q.

I'm not from Waterford so can't claim to know who this guy is or what he's objecting to but a planning objection can be deemed invalid if it's viewed as being vexatious. That would allow council to throw out certain objections.

As for TK Maxx, they very rarely locate in town centres. The way to think of it is as a clothing warehouse rather than a shop. The stock is throw everywhere and there's far too few staff to think of it as a shop. It's extremely popular though.

jdivision wrote: »
    .............The way to think of it is as a clothing warehouse rather than a shop. The stock is throw everywhere and there's far too few staff to think of it as a shop. It's extremely popular though.

This is true alright, I was in the St Stephen’s Green Centre TK Maxx last month and the place was in a mess, it was the same a Michael Guiney’s; I did not realise TK Maxx was that kind of shop. To be honest I did not think much of the place. Anyway it is one of the big names so the city must have it, preferably in the city centre.

Kahless wrote: »
    Amen to that. It's amazing how lazy people have got. It seems to be acceptable to block one lane of the Quay these days while people go in and out of shops and park on all sorts of corners and on footpaths. Sure won't the hazard lights make everything okay...

I was walking up Georges St today and outside Argos two cars were driving along, luckily a Garda was passing and she told them to feck off the pedestrian area. I mean how stupid are people? :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was walking up Georges St today and outside Argos two cars were driving along, luckily a Garda was passing and she told them to feck off the pedestrian area. I mean how stupid are people? :mad:

I assume if the barriers were down they thought they could drive up.. Iv often driven up during Mass while people are around..

• Advertisement

This is true alright, I was in the St Stephen’s Green Centre TK Maxx last month and the place was in a mess, it was the same a Michael Guiney’s; I did not realise TK Maxx was that kind of shop. To be honest I did not think much of the place. Anyway it is one of the big names so the city must have it, preferably in the city centre.

I felt the exact same and wondered what all the hype was about!

Sully wrote: »
    I assume if the barriers were down they thought they could drive up.. Iv often driven up during Mass while people are around..

To be honest cars on John Roberts Square is a touchy subject with me. I think there should be a period for delivery vans in the morning, but after that the John Roberts Square, Broad St, Barronstrand St and Georges St should be closed to all traffic. This area should NEVER be used for parking. In my opinion there is no excuse for parking in that area. You never see parking on Grafton St or Henry St in Dublin. It drives me mad when I pass there and see the place covered in cars. Enough of the city is given over to cars; we have one of the finest river fronts in the country and it is covered in cars. It has to stop somewhere.

To be honest cars on John Roberts Square is a touchy subject with me. I think there should be a period for delivery vans in the morning, but after that the John Roberts Square, Broad St, Barronstrand St and Georges St should be closed to all traffic. This area should NEVER be used for parking. In my opinion there is no excuse for parking in that area. You never see parking on Grafton St or Henry St in Dublin. It drives me mad when I pass there and see the place covered in cars. Enough of the city is given over to cars; we have one of the finest river fronts in the country and it is covered in cars. It has to stop somewhere.

Same with the Mall, you can't take a picture of the our classy, georgian city hall with all the cars outside it. It looks bad that we crowd out our best architecture with cars.

The cars on the quay turned the noblest quay in Europe in the seedy port town veneer that the Lonely Planet referred to.

The whole inner city has prostrated itself to public parking and still people bitch that the parking in bad in town. We need more multi-story carparks at the edge of the city centre and park and ride. ...although some major city centre investment is needed first.

To be honest cars on John Roberts Square is a touchy subject with me. I think there should be a period for delivery vans in the morning, but after that the John Roberts Square, Broad St, Barronstrand St and Georges St should be closed to all traffic. This area should NEVER be used for parking.

Is this not the case already? It is only open until 11 (or 11:30?) for deliveries, though you do see others going in too. Hard to stop that without having someone at each entrance checking that they are valid deliveries.

Kahless wrote: »
    Is this not the case already? It is only open until 11 (or 11:30?) for deliveries, though you do see others going in too. Hard to stop that without having someone at each entrance checking that they are valid deliveries.

It opens sometime in the evening. Iv only ever seen it busy when mass is on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

sorry for dragging up old thread, any idea about hiring for new tk maxx in town?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Dan133269 wrote: »
    sorry for dragging up old thread, any idea about hiring for new tk maxx in town?

More than likely all staff from previous store are taking all these positions in Railway Square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

This is probably old news but I was told it was Waterford County Council that ran them out of the old place.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

danjo-xx wrote: »
    This is probably old news but I was told it was Waterford County Council that ran them out of the old place.

Was already discussed to death in this thread, this one was for the purpose of those looking for jobs when the store opened first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Anyone have any idea why the lights are on in the old TX Max premises all the time? and I mean all the lights 24 hours a day. Who is paying the bill?:eek:

Advertisement