Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Fishing

Options
  • 20-03-2008 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody could offer myself and my mate some advice?

We are taking up fishing and know nothing about it.

We are in Dublin. We were thinking about buying some gear in the fishing shop in Temple Bar.

Where are the best places to go in the area? What type of rods and bait should we get? They would be beginners sets. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

Your local tackle shop is always one of the most reliable sources of information such as good spots and the best baits for the area.
    What kind of fishing are you looking to get into? Coarse/Sea/Game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Rory's in temple bar has all the gear you want but they can be very low on advice and patience, Im a beginner too and my friend and I were asking about bait and licences and they were very short with us,They were busy but it wont have me coming back.If your in west Dublin the lads in Tallaght rod and gun are very helpful.We went out to them last year and they kitted us out with everything we needed and told us how so set up our rigs and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Said it before and ill say it again,
    Anyone new to the sport should take a trip to Corkagh park fishery in Clondalkin and speak to Godfrey, the fishery manager.
    Anyone on here who has been to or knows Corkagh park will know the type of treatment new anglers who are willing to learn will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

the most polite fishing shop in dublin is the ABC down off capel street, id imagine they would be the best for beginners to talk to, they are always very down to earth and friendly and good gear bait and knowledge
    Southside angling can be a bit daunting i can imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

If you don't want to spend too much you could head to Lidl on Monday as they are selling fishing equipment.
    It would probably be perfect for a novice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080331.index

That is a whopper selection of stuff, I bought a beech/pier casting kit from lidl last year and its been doing the job fine since! I ve heard the lidl stuff dissed on here before due to a pike gag being in one of the boxes but its grand gear for the price,if the hooks are a little crappy dont use em

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

will be all gone by the polish....

unless u go out at like 2am in the q.

go to southside and get some decent gear/advice.
    Gillie wrote: »
    If you don't want to spend too much you could head to Lidl on Monday as they are selling fishing equipment.
    It would probably be perfect for a novice.

shblob wrote: »
    will be all gone by the polish....

unless u go out at like 2am in the q.

go to southside and get some decent gear/advice.

Lidl is a little quieter round these parts!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

lol where are u? i'm in co.kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i have bought some stuff from lidl in the past, its useless..
    its ok if you want to use it as a backup or if you are starting. but if you are semi serious about it..forget it..

• Advertisement

shblob wrote: »
    lol where are u? i'm in co.kildare.

Sligo.
    Now it would be busy but i'd say ppl would only start queuing around 8.00am!

Advertisement