Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mozzarella Cheese

• 20-03-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hey, not sure if i'm posting in the right place, but here goes...

Anyone know any supermarket/shop that sells blocks of mozzarella cheese, i know you can buy it already shredded in packets but i'm looking for actual blocks of it ... any help?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Yeh i bought some in my local centra shop yesterday, it comes in a round block filled with watery stuff in the packet. I was also in Lidl and they do it in the shredded form and the blocks at a fraction of the price i had paid earlier on in the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

http://www.littleitalyltd.com/food.htm

Down in Smithfield - will have all sorts of Mozzerella you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

You buy it in a carton or a plastic bag filled with some liquid preservative..

Its available from all supermarkets.

Try and get Buffalo Mozzarella if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Thanks for the replies... but how come it comes with a liquid preservative and not just like a block of cheddar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Real mozzarella comes in balls and not in blocks. Its generally wet too. Dont think it comes dried and in blocks as it wouldnt be very popular that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

juror wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies... but how come it comes with a liquid preservative and not just like a block of cheddar?

Fresh mozzarella is used on the day its made and usually wouldnt last overnight. Goes off within 24hrs.

The stuff you buy in the shops is soaked in salty water to keep it fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You can get blocks of it alright in Tesco. It's not like the Buffalo mozzerella, it's kind of like what you would imagine the grated stuff to look like before it's grated.

I think a lot of people wouldn't consider it to be 'proper' mozzerella but it does the job when you don't want to use buffalo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I've gotten blocks of mozzarella, but it was in an Italian deli in Edinburgh. Probably not much use to you, but it does exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a cheese and wine shop on Drumcondra Road afaik...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think I've seen blocks of mozzarella (masquerading as white cheddar) in Superquinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Think i might go and look for that elusive block in Tesco, i don't fancy messing around with wet cheese!!

thanks everyone for the helpful replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I've definitely seen those dry blocks of mozzerella around.
    Most pizza places would use that (mixed with cheddar) as standard.
    The fresh balls in liquid are better in salads, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

anyway, mozzarella is a wet cheese

Advertisement