Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling self conscious in the gym!

Options
  • 20-03-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hiya Girls,

Just wanted to post on this as it is doing my head in and im not getting the full satisfaction as id like for feeling self conscious when im working out.

I am a regular gym goer I love keeping fit, am slim and toned, but like many others im sure I feel self conscious when im there like walking around im thinking who's looking at me (not in a big headed way) and makes me feel nervious when im walking around it.

Ive no reason to feel unconfident in the gym but I just do, It is just annoying as there are weights and machines id like to use but dont because they are where the guys are and I would be feeling like they are looking at me and would feel really nervious so I dont bother to use them. But this is silly, Im in my 30ies and you'd think at this stage in my life I would'nt give a crap who was looking at me.

Now im not being funny but i do see guys looking at me in an admiring way also so this should give me confidence but it still makes me self conscious.

I hope im coming across ok in this, just wanted to hear from other girls who feel the same or who has been able to over come these silly feelings.

Thanks Girls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

shabaz wrote: »
    Now im not being funny but i do see guys looking at me in an admiring way also so this should give me confidence but it still makes me self conscious.

I know this won't help but you really can't let it to get to you! I am a regular gym goer, a pretty big guy and i tend to move a lot of weight when i am in there.... as such i tend to get stars from boys and girls and staff in general.

You just need to learn to switch off from it and enjoy your own time in the gym. For me, the gym is where i go to chill out and destress, it's my home so i try not to let anything ruin my vibe!

Also, as enlightened as i am the simple fact is that occasionally my eyes will stray to a particularly attractive lass but to be honest what ALWAYS ends up catching my eye is when a girl is doing things like cleans, snatches, deadlifts, squats.....all those cool things.

It won't be out of any kind of perviness, just out of respect for anyone who is pushing themselves in that way!

Also, as a question.....have you ever found your eyes drifting to a particularly attractive chap in the gym and if so, how do you think he would feel about that, or is the assumption just that he would lap it up because he is .....well.....a he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Ive no reason to feel unconfident in the gym but I just do, It is just annoying as there are weights and machines id like to use but dont because they are where the guys are and I would be feeling like they are looking at me and would feel really nervious so I dont bother to use them.
    You shoulnd't feel nervous at all - trust me, I train with a lot of guys and their response to a girl in the weights area who's working hard is always a good one.

If you don't feel comfortable with weights get one of the gym instructors or a fellow trainee who knows their stuff to show you the ropes. Heck, if you're in the Dublin area I'll show you! Weights beat cardio hands down for sculpting your body, and you'll love it as soon as you give it a go.

Sure, there may be some douchebag guys in the weights room but anyone idiot who gives another gym-goer attitude isn't worth an ounce of your energy. And believe me, the douchebags are the ones who have nooo idea what they're doing anyway, they just cover up their own inadequacies by crapping on other folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭shabaz

Ah I will have to sort it out in my head, But I do think it generally is place where people do feel self conscious anyway, just some more than others. I try my best to forget the silly worries and do what I want to do regardless of who is looking at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

Glad this thread was put up because was in gym last night and felt embarrassed doing the weights with all the blokes around me plus the fact my face was like a beetroot!!!
    Then I just thought feck it i'm not looking to attract a fella in the gym so who cares what I look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Isn't there a woman only gym in town somewhere? Might be better for you OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Not sure if you are near a JJB Sports gym but in Limerick they have a separate weights section for men and women. I've heard its a really nice gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Meh, I pull my shoulders back, hold my head high, look like I have a right to be in the weights area (which I do) and think, bet you wished you looked this good when you are my age! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Ah I will have to sort it out in my head, But I do think it generally is place where people do feel self conscious anyway, just some more than others. I try my best to forget the silly worries and do what I want to do regardless of who is looking at me.

Last week at the gym I was daydreaming a little and singing along (in my head) to the music as i was strolling over to the weights.....and tripped over my own feet. *sigh*

Next time you feel self conscious in the gym just be happy that you're not me - i regularly trip over myself, fall off the rowing machine and almost get my fingers caught in any piece of machinery in the place.

But, seriously, i do all this very stupid stuff very publicly and beyond a quick "you ok there?" ppl don't pay much attention - they're all focused on their own workouts and their own thoughts.

Also, eyes have to rest somewhere - it may look like people are staring but it could just be that you're in their line of vision. If someone is staring just give them the "and...?" stare back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Maybe cause you are alone when you work out? Maybe consider getting a workout buddy?

Advertisement