Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brake lever assembly guide?

Options
  • 20-03-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Big up Unionman on throwing the free brake lever my way, appreciate it a lot.

Got home and realised that it wasnt just as easy as sticking it onto the handlebars!

Its a lever from an 07 Langster, the same as the brown one thats for sale currently here. I dont know what make the lever is (I'm in work at the moment).

Anyone know what brand/make it is - and if there's a guide on the net to putting it back together on the dropped handlebars?

This is the last thing I need to slap onto my next self-built fixie, 95% finished now, just this brake lever and some toe clips... its a real beauty, much nicer than the one I'm currently riding around on... I'm loathe to sell it but I need the cash.
    I'll probably put it up here for sale, with photos.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

NOt sure what's on the 07 Langster but on the 08 model it's a tektro.

It should be pretty simple. First find where on the handlebars you want to put it. There should be a bolt to tighten on the back of it (facing forward). You'll need a 5mm allen key to tighten this. Once it's nice and tight you can put the cable in. Open the level and you should see a hole to thread the cable though. You need to put the cable though this hole and then try and get it through the other hole at the back of lever. This should bring the cable out at the back of the lever. Stick yer outer brake cable on and push it right in against the lever. Tape the outer brake cable onto the handlebars (at the front, usually) all the way to the middle of the handlebars. That should be it then. How you deal with the cable after that depends on if you have the braze ons for routing a gear cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

penexpers wrote: »
    NOt sure what's on the 07 Langster but on the 08 model it's a tektro.

It should be pretty simple. First find where on the handlebars you want to put it. There should be a bolt to tighten on the back of it (facing forward). You'll need a 5mm allen key to tighten this. Once it's nice and tight you can put the cable in. Open the level and you should see a hole to thread the cable though. You need to put the cable though this hole and then try and get it through the other hole at the back of lever. This should bring the cable out at the back of the lever. Stick yer outer brake cable on and push it right in against the lever. Tape the outer brake cable onto the handlebars (at the front, usually) all the way to the middle of the handlebars. That should be it then. How you deal with the cable after that depends on if you have the braze ons for routing a gear cable.

Tektro sounds familiar alright. I think I should be alright with the above - but its the actual lever itself that's in pieces, the handle has come apart from the main bit, and I've got a little black spring from inside the handle sitting in the bag, not really sure how this fits in, or how to put it back together... I'll have another glance at it tonight.

The frame has the braze ons for the cable hosing down to the rear brake so should be fine with that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

flickerx wrote: »
    Tektro sounds familiar alright. I think I should be alright with the above - but its the actual lever itself that's in pieces, the handle has come apart from the main bit, and I've got a little black spring from inside the handle sitting in the bag, not really sure how this fits in, or how to put it back together...

Tektro site isn't providing much joy, just the an installation leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Never mind, I managed to finish it myself. Just did it by trial and error (lots of error) and eventually got it right. Thanks for the offers of help!

Advertisement