Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riot Training

• 20-03-2008 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I see that the AGSI are calling for all Gardai to be trained in the use of
    riot shields, I always assumed that all Gardai received public order training,
    is this not the case??? Do only members in dedicated Public order units
    receive this training?? Even the army gives new members in riot training
    with shields and battons,
    why is this not so with the Gardai when there more likely to deal with public order situations??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

We are trained in public order situations such as crowd filtering and crowd containment. No shields are used but are given helmets. Uniformed gardai are used to confront these large crowds such as you saw on the Love Ulster riot. It is only when uniform gardai get injured is the public order units brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

TheNog wrote: »
    We are trained in public order situations such as crowd filtering and crowd containment. No shields are used but are given helmets. Uniformed gardai are used to confront these large crowds such as you saw on the Love Ulster riot. It is only when uniform gardai get injured is the public order units brought in.

Your not given a run with the shields anymore? I knew it was cut from a week to 2 / 3 days but For F**ks sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

In fairness, the public order training is poor enough! Link arms and do a bit of a dance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Your not given a run with the shields anymore? I knew it was cut from a week to 2 / 3 days but For F**ks sake!

Unless it is done in on phase 5 I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know mounted units are used for crowd control.
    Well, I see them around Croke Park always.

Do all gardai get training on this (doubt it) and if not, are there dedicated mounted units who do nothing but patrols on horses?

Sounds like a stupid question but it's not realy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

micmclo wrote: »
    I know mounted units are used for crowd control.
    Well, I see them around Croke Park always.

Do all gardai get training on this (doubt it) and if not, are there dedicated mounted units who do nothing but patrols on horses?

Sounds like a stupid question but it's not realy

The mounted unit is a full-time unit. Experienced officers apply for a job with the unit and if successful move there full-time. Their role is a mix of high-viz patrolling and public order. Have a look here for info on the role in my force, and here for the Garda's page.

And no, not all officers get mounted training.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Public order training is on Phase 3! And as mentioned, 2-3 days!

Advertisement