Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red Cars

Options
  • 20-03-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

since i wrote off my car I've been looking at cars to buy, but i saw a red Volvo S40 that looks superb.
    Just a question, does anybody here have a red car, would you drive one and do they still fade in colour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I had a red 147 and it suited the car brilliantly IMHO. Have not seen the red S40 in the flesh, was looking at a few Sport models on Autotrader with a mate and the pictures looked ok, but you would need to see it up close to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I've a red 1990 mr2, it has faded in a couple places, a few good polishes and it brings back the colour pretty good. There are also a couple of products out there that are pretty good that can bring back the colour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

This car looks great in red.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Leon/Altea-2.0TDi/328375/

I think Red stays cleaner for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You can bring back the colour of a faded car with T cut. My old man had two red cars and both of them faded over the years. The modern base coat and clear two pack automotive paints hold their colours better than the older cellulose based paints used in some of the older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've had red and other flat coloured cars. I find regular and thorough washing does most of the work but you can bank on having to really get in there and give it a good polish once or twice a year just to keep the paint pristine. Leaving it of for a while isn't the end of the world. Unless it was totally neglected for years, you can bring it up again but frequent soft-duty care is better than irregular heavy-duty polishing IMO.

That or send it for a proper valet once a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I like my ickle red car. Being honest I dont see any fading on it to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iei044775

I've got a 2005 Volvo S40 in bright Red and it is still perfect - have never polished it and there is no sign of any fading or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Paint tecnologies have come a long way, modern red paints shouldn't fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Modern red cars wont fade these days, especially once looked after. Even so, alot of faded red cars can be easily restored to a perfect finish with enough work. I'd say go for it, red is one of my favourite colours on some cars, especially when polished up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

Thanks for the replies.
    I think i'll phone the owner to maybe come have a look at it. It does look pretty in the pic's, i suppose the red im thinking of is from a red 98 mitubishi lancer that has nearly turned white!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i drive a red integra, its a 99 so 9 years old and the paint isn't too bad, the spoiler and the rear bumper is faded but with a clay bar and some polishing and waxing it comes up nice again for awhile.

i was told never to use t cut on it because it will bring it back up for awhile but will leave it more pink in the long run, not sure how true this is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I have a red S40. I think the colour looks great on it for what it's worth. Particularly on the newer version.

I've had a couple of red cars and have had no problems with fade, or maybe I just haven't had either car long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 headzilla

Red cars probably come up the best of all colours after a good wax and polish, alot of modern cars get treated with a seven year wax coating,

A polish every two weeks should have her as good as this!

Advertisement