Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Friendly Game" - United Fans V Liverpool fans

Comments

DesF wrote: »
    Er....I already said I'd ref it.

In anyways, Xavi lives in fricking Perth, Western Australia.

pfft... he wouldn't come over for it...? ;)

Eh thats grand, let me know lads when, where etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

this sounds like a larf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And as for you reffing it, surely somebody impartial would be required. Ya know somebody who does not manage a bunch of players from one side or have a mild dislike for the players of the other team.
    Er...what?

Ed plays for Boards, he is United.

Shock, horror, there are Liverpool fans on the team too.

And what "mild dislike" - for who?

I <3 Mr Alan, even though he won't be playing.

Who do I not like?

If anything, you are the one with a "mild dislike" for myself, and another poster already mentioned. ;)
    Who knows, if you played perhaps there could be a triangular tournament and the EL fans could prove for once and for all that they are the superior supporters.
    Bring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

or a simple toss of a coin.
    Who'll be the Tosser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

To say mild dislike is to understate it massively.

Is there 5 -7 EL fans that could make a team on boards who have 300 or more posts ? I am sure that was one of homers criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There was a lecturer in Trinity college who used to organise three way football matches so that people could attempt to understand game theory. Apparently it was great fun :)

To say mild dislike is to understate it massively.
    Well thanks for clearing that one up.
    Is there 5 -7 EL fans that could make a team on boards who have 300 or more posts ? I am sure that was one of homers criteria.
    Are there even 5-7 eL fans?

Well thanks for clearing that one up.

Well at least I am honest ;)

Even of there was could ye get them playing in a team, ye lads can be vicious to each other, would have to put these rivalries aside for the good of the game.

Even of there was could ye get them playing in a team, ye lads can be vicious to each other, would have to put these rivalries aside for the good of the game.
    I'm quite good at getting lads to play in a team.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Are there even 5-7 eL fans?

Most of the team i play for post on boards altho none in soccer.

We would whoop all your asses, but thats another thread.

This the pool utd thread :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sounds like a laugh.

I'd be well up for it, depending when it is. If it was summer, I might be able to get up to Dublin.

But either way, someone bring a bloody camera :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

would be defo up for this if i could get a game. Play ball once a week and was a handy winger in my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I <3 Mr Alan

i <3 you too :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If anybody wants to play in the Bob Paisley Cup let me no,its a 5 a side Tournament and open to all not just Liverpool fans.So if you can get a few lads together and fancy a good day playing ball let me know.

Venue Astro Park Tallaght
    Date 26th April

It will be a round robin group stage followed by knockout semi-finals and final so Each team will play a minimum of 3 matches.

Dub13 wrote: »
    If anybody wants to play in the Bob Paisley Cup let me no,its a 5 a side Tournament and open to all not just Liverpool fans.So if you can get a few lads together and fancy a good day playing ball let me know.

Venue Astro Park Tallaght
    Date 26th April

It will be a round robin group stage followed by knockout semi-finals and final so Each team will play a minimum of 3 matches.

Hoping to have 2 pats fans teams in it.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Hoping to have 2 pats fans teams in it.

kdjac

That would be great.....show us what the Eircom League fans are made of.

That would be great.....show us what the Eircom League fans are made of.

We do get a trophy ? lads want to make sure we get a trophy when we win :eek: :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

We do get a trophy ? lads want to make sure we get a trophy when we win :eek: :D

kdjac

Was wondering that myself. Its the only way to talk non Liverpool fans into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Tusky wrote: »
    Was wondering that myself. Its the only way to talk non Liverpool fans into it!

im only doing it cos boardeaux are playing in it!ah it should be a laugh as will the united v pool thing. looks like we have enough for 11 a side almost, but i would be happy with 7 a side......11 would take alot of effort, however, if it needs to be done, it can be done.

im only doing it cos boardeaux are playing in it!ah it should be a laugh as will the united v pool thing. looks like we have enough for 11 a side almost, but i would be happy with 7 a side......11 would take alot of effort, however, if it needs to be done, it can be done.

I don't think I would be up for an 11 a side. I've been playing 5v5 regularly enough but Im not fit enough for 11v11 and I don't think I own boots/shin guards etc anymore.

• Advertisement

Yes there will be we are working on that at the moment.

Its shaping up to be a great day,if a few Man You fans were to put a team in it would add spice to it.God forbid the stick if a Man You team won it.

I don't think I would be up for an 11 a side. I've been playing 5v5 regularly enough but Im not fit enough for 11v11 and I don't think I own boots/shin guards etc anymore.

i play both...i dont find any difference really, in fact, if you play 5 a side correct, ul do more running in it (as in put in the effort for a full hour). you need to be a better player to play 11 a side, fitness is not the issue ere.

i play both...i dont find any difference really, in fact, if you play 5 a side correct, ul do more running in it (as in put in the effort for a full hour). you need to be a better player to play 11 a side, fitness is not the issue ere.

You argue the same thing about 11v11. If you play 11 a side correctly, you will do a hell of a lot of running. Its much easier to play 5v5 at a reasonable level if you aren't completely fit.

Yes there will be we are working on that at the moment.

Its shaping up to be a great day,if a few Man You fans were to put a team in it would add spice to it.God forbid the stick if a Man You team won it.

Ask the club for a European cup, sure they have loads of them :p

kdjac

Ask the club for a European cup, sure they have loads of them :p

I like your style,sure we could ask for the one Utd won in 99.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mod as ref. Please. I vote PSI.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd say for an 11 aside match we'd need a good few more, 7 aside with subs would be a nice compromise with the numbers we have at the moment as there will be some people that will have something on when a date is chosen.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Mod as ref. Please. I vote PSI.

Yeah PSI she could see fouls before they happen, actually she said the game finished 3-2 to pool no point in playing now, beer session so :p

kdjac

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

oh yes i would play

mayordenis wrote: »
    oh yes i would play

u pool or united?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

United fan, would be well up for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I can play for the Liverpool fans if needed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'll play if this gets organised. I think 11-a-side would be far better than 5-a-side, but I'm up for either.

<
    pool

Iago wrote: »
    I'll play if this gets organised. I think 11-a-side would be far better than 5-a-side, but I'm up for either.

to whom does your alligance lie gary?

11 a side is defo the best way to go, we have 25 people interested and while date and venue would not suit all, if we got say another 6 or 7, we could go with 11 a side. it would be a far better spectacle :D with a proper game and everybody would get a game, 5/7 a side means some people may not get a game.

to those who say/think they are not fit enough for 11 a side, thats a load of B***ix lads, not offence :). this is a freindly FFS,nobody is expecting you to run up and down the wing like ronaldo all day, this is a kick around, with a small touch of pride attached. so please, if this goes ahead, which im determined it will, if your willing to play 5 a side, then go the extra step and play if we go 11 a side. seriously, if we get 30-33 interested names, then there is no reason 22 of those cant make a good game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

to those who say/think they are not fit enough for 11 a side, thats a load of B***ix lads, not offence :). this is a freindly FFS,nobody is expecting you to run up and down the wing like ronaldo all day, this is a kick around, with a small touch of pride attached. so please, if this goes ahead, which im determined it will, if your willing to play 5 a side, then go the extra step and play if we go 11 a side. seriously, if we get 30-33 interested names, then there is no reason 22 of those cant make a good game.

+1.

In the words of chopper reid.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
    Harden the **** up.

A word of warning,I am speaking from experience of organizing loads of things on line from Legends nights in pubs to trips to games and now 5 a side games.Its only thing getting say 30 names for a game of ball but its another thing getting them to turn up,once you put a date and time on it people will start to pull out as real life gets in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

A word of warning,I am speaking of experience of organizing loads of things on line from Legends nights in pubs to trips to games and now 5 a side games.Its only thing getting say 30 names for a game of ball but its another thing getting them to turn up,once you put a date and time on it people will start to pull out as real life gets in the way.

Generally speaking, if a load of people say they'll go, you'll usually only get about half them actually going.

A word of warning,I am speaking from experience of organizing loads of things on line from Legends nights in pubs to trips to games and now 5 a side games.Its only thing getting say 30 names for a game of ball but its another thing getting them to turn up,once you put a date and time on it people will start to pull out as real life gets in the way.

Thats my point. We should organize it as a 5v5 on astro turf with roll on roll off subs. So if some people dont turn up its not too big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,091 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thats my point. We should organize it as a 5v5 on astro turf with roll on roll off subs. So if some people dont turn up its not too big a deal.

5v5 probably makes more sense alright as its probably unlikely there'll be a player for each position - could easily end up with 6 strikers, 5 midfielders and no defenders or something. On 5 a side at least everyone can kinda share attacking and defensive responsibilities a bit ore easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

to whom does your alligance lie gary?

I'm united all the way

yep, am fully aware of that, we will wait and see how things pan out....will leave the thread run for another few days, well, until after the match anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'd love to line out for Utd if this goes ahead.

I actually think 7 v 7 is ideal.
    Some astro pitches rent out half pitches which could cater for this number of players perfectly.

An 11 a side with a bunch of relative strangers playing together would be a piss-poor, boring mess I'd say:D

But, obviously if say each team has 15 confirmed when a date is set etc. it would have to be standard game with full pitch.

why cant one pool fan and one utd fan who are dead certs to commit to this try and organise a squad of about 15 each and try and agree a date that suits as many people as possible?

mayordenis wrote: »
    why cant one pool fan and one utd fan who are dead certs to commit to this try and organise a squad of about 15 each and try and agree a date that suits as many people as possible?

sounds like a plan, me and nunu for example could look after the united side of things or who ever else is interested. any potential volunteers for liverpool?

also an idea, each team can have 1 "special" member, i.e. - a regular poster but not a pool/fan for example kdjacl or des (though des is ref).....im sure there would be loads more, would add a bit of spice, though its only a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'll look after the liverpool end of things if you would like.

just call me Rafa ;)

Well at least we can guarantee quite an animated touchline then. And long winded half time team talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bah why cant we see who has signed up on the poll!?! anyway we should get it rolling soon or people will start dropping out...

I reckon those who are going to be playing should pm their respective team managers once it is sorted, pming is a bit more substantial than clicking a button on a poll and should represent more of an undertaking/commitment. Date will be the first thing to sort either ways, thi is just to get an idea of numbers before some proper organisation goes on.

I reckon those who are going to be playing should pm their respective team managers once it is sorted, pming is a bit more substantial than clicking a button on a poll and should represent more of an undertaking/commitment. Date will be the first thing to sort either ways, thi is just to get an idea of numbers before some proper organisation goes on.

Then you should pick an area of the city as soon as possible as some people are lazy and will not travel far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement