Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question/Opinion Needed

Options
  • 20-03-2008 1:57pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

I have been a veegi for the 17/18 years and i was just talking to a work colleague who is also a veggie (20+ years).

Has anyone else noticed that good veggie food in Ireland is getting harder to find e.g. work person was at a conference last week and requested a vegetarian option, she got couscous wrapped in pastry.

i find it so hard to go out for lunch/dinner anymore because either there isnt a vegetarian option or what is handed up is muck, i wouldnt feed the dog.

it got so bad last week, that i suggest to my OH that i might start eating meat, that i was tried of being hungry when i went out

am i just been a narky old bag, or has anyone else noticed this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I don't really notice this in Dublin, maybe in smaller cities or towns but Dublin seems ok. Of course there are loads of places that actually go out of their way to serve the most boring, tasteless crap possible as their one and only veggie option but it's easy to avoid those places (I think anyway).

Usually Indian, Italian, Japanese, etc have plenty of nice options, and of course there are a few veggie restaurants in Dublin (I say this cos your Location says Dublin)

No things have improved massively in that time.
    You were to be eternally grateful to be offered a cold plate of pasta in tomato puree back then.
    I tend to have a sit down meal once a week, and i can only think of three occasions in the last year where I was disappointed with the food.

Do you eat out in the same places most days? or maybe you tend to pick hotels and carvery?

I always want to try something new, and maybe that is why I don't get bored.

I always thought you lived in Dublin, so would have a fairly decent range of choices available to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

I've been vegetarian for a long time too, and think things are definitely getting easier; unfortunately (!) I became vegan about three years ago, and 'catered' affairs are usually a big disappointment food-wise. I've gotten used to soggy pasta with tomato sauce and mushy stirfries though ;)

Otherwise, I find it quite easy to eat out. As said above, 'ethnic' restaurants are usually great - a lot of the time they will either have vegan options or are very accommodating in leaving out the fish sauce or cheese etc.

What kind of restaurants are you having difficulty with? If you want any specific suggestions, just ask and we'll give you a dig out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

been a veggie for around 14 years now and I've found its alot easier now then it was 10 years ago. When I first went veggie and I was going out for food I'd have to check the menu before going in and alot of times they didn't have veggie options and we'd have to go elsewhere but now I never look at the menu just head on in, pretty much every place as a veggie option and most have a couple of choices. Have been to the odd party/21st/function were the only food options were things like chicken wings and cocktail sausages but I find alot of people aren't into that kinda of food anymore and its not just the veggies who complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

totaly agree with the op, been vegetarian (and no we DONT eat fish!) for the past 20 years and i think that if there is a vegetarian option then its just the same old stuff, pasta, stir fry or the great 'selection of vegetables'
    yes there prob have been a lot more veggie resturants opened in the bigger cities but in this day and age why shoud vegetarians have to avoid resturants, as a strech of good customer service should all tastes not be catered for???:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As much as I love stir fyys. :) things could be better. Although, as has been said, things are way better now. Not near as good as Britain though.
    Indian food is great for the veggie food.

I'd like if restaurants served imitation meat, that would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

irishbird wrote: »
    i find it so hard to go out for lunch/dinner anymore because either there isnt a vegetarian option or what is handed up is muck

yeah... im veggie, live in very small town down country... only thing i can ever get is a frikkin veg plate.. you know the just whatever spud is on & bit of veg. Its crap! Not even remotely catered for... not even a bit.. in any lunch time venture.. unless i got to like an indian rest. which has massive selection.. and is damn good (was there yesterday ) yum..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I think that whether you are veggie or meat eater, some restaurants are always going to serve pretty tasteless and horrible meals. It really depends on where you are located. Being vegan just makes the job a little harder when eating out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

As much as I love stir fyys. :) things could be better. Although, as has been said, things are way better now. Not near as good as Britain though.
    Indian food is great for the veggie food.

I'd like if restaurants served imitation meat, that would be nice.

+1 on the Indian food. After spending a year living in Bangalore I was convinced that (almost) anyone who moved there could easily become a vegetarian :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Indian Food is great but not all my friends like indian/Ethnic food. When we go out i am usually stuck with pizza or veg lasange. There is a particular restuarant in glasnevin whos veggie option for the last 3 years has been potato gratin, which is nice but after eating it several hundred times, it gets a tad boring

I was at a function what had a set menu, €70.00 a head and what did i get, cold pasta in dolmino sauce, not even fresh pasta, dried stuff

and i have to see another stir fry at a wedding i will scream - I HATE STIR FRY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I think when you are veg you often get stuck in the rut of Indian or Italian food, but it's worth exploring other ethnic cuisine for veggie options.

You'll usually have to make it yourself though, but it's a good way to learn, and there are tons of sites on the web that show you how. Easier said than done sometimes, but it's just worth remembering every so often that there is a whole vegetarian culinary world out there beyond pasta, spuds and samsosas :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am a great veggie cook but it is so frustrating when you are meeting friends for dinner and no one wants to go to ethnic places :(

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

irishbird wrote: »
    i am a great veggie cook but it is so frustrating when you are meeting friends for dinner and no one wants to go to ethnic places :(
    I think it depends on where you go. I've been to some restaurants where the menu was less than promising but the chef came up with several nice options on request. Probably a good idea to give the restaurant a call in advance and ask that they offer some alternatives.
    Doesn't always work of course...

Advertisement