Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couture v Angle??

• 20-03-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from Between the Ropes radio show:

Angle said he and Randy Couture have agreed to fight in a legit MMA-style match this summer. He didn't specify which promotion they'll work for or what type of match they're going to have.

- He and Samoa Joe will have a mixed martial arts match at the Lockdown pay-per-view. “We’re going to have an MMA style match at the pay-per-view and this is the beginning of what TNA is going to start doing.”

-- He added, “Joe and I are actually putting a hell of a a match together that is going to be very much MMA oriented. It’s going to be inside a cage. I don’t even think we’re wearing shoes. We’re going to tape our ankles. We’re going to be putting on the gloves.” He said he and Joe are trying to show up the Floyd Mayweather vs. Big Show match.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dear christ will someone slap a no talk clause on him, the mans lost his mind, tna moving towards mma matches yeah right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Couture has said that he's doing it, although the UFC will probably have something to say about it if he's still under contract to them. He said it'll just be a submission wrestling match, no striking. Randy will win easily if it happens

TNA doing MMA-style matches, haha. Everyone would have to relearn how they wrestle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Its amazing how people have been harping on for months how TNA should be booked more like UFC, and as soon as it makes the first move towards doing this they're mocked for it.

Its amazing how people have been harping on for months how TNA should be booked more like UFC, and as soon as it makes the first move towards doing this they're mocked for it.

People have been saying that TNA should be booked more like UFC in the sense that UFC keeps their rivalry's simple, they make their stars look like stars, they make their belts mean something and they promote the whole package well

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't remember anyone saying that TNA should make their in-ring stuff more like UFC. That's just ridiculous. It's in the ring that most of the similarities between pro wrestling and MMA end. Stuff that can be edge-of-your-seat exciting in MMA (like a guy going for a rear naked choke and the other guy just managing to keep him off each time) would be so boring in a pro wrestling context (a guy unable to properly lock in a sleeper hold...)

MMA fights that end quickly can be great because of a huge knockout or whatever. The same thing in pro wrestling would just leave you feeling ripped off

When TNA were booking things more like UFC they were doing the best business in their history (ie. Joe vs Angle 1). Doing MMA-style matches is not booking like UFC, and I doubt it's going to happen

EDIT: That's not to say that MMA-style pro wrestling matches can't be good, there's a lot of wrestlers out there who are able to incorporate aspects of it and have great matches. But that's their style, for TNA to implement it they'd have to change everyone's style and that's stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

You completely miss the point. When people say pro-wrestling can learn from MMA, the moves are just a very small part of it. It's got to do with hyping a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think it's a good move. It will make Joe look very very strong when he beats Angle in a cage by submission and then if they can have the buildup to Angle Couture on Impact then I don't see the flaws.

Guys we all know Angle has been his own PR agent since leaving WWE. This news is even worth a post.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    if they can have the buildup to Angle Couture on Impact then I don't see the flaws.

The big flaw is that Couture is in a legal battle currently with the UFC. The other big flaw is that Kurt has been known to talk bull now and again.

If it happens great, just don't hold your breath.

I think it's a good move. It will make Joe look very very strong when he beats Angle in a cage by submission and then if they can have the buildup to Angle Couture on Impact then I don't see the flaws.

Why would they build up Angle vs Couture on Impact? The fight, if it happens, will be in the Professional Submission League, so TNA won't be making money from it and it's very unlikely that Angle would win

Of Course Angle would get served (if it did ever happen Vince ;)) but surely as Angle is under contract with TNA he'd still have to work with them right until the fight and as they'd obviously want him to win, I would assume that most of that time would be spent having Angle do interviews and montages of him training. if none of it is on Impact then there would be no way that they would let him do it. Also, surely if the fight did go ahead Randy would want to promote it to Pro-Wrestling fans to get the most money from the show and appearing on TNA would be the best way to do it (can't see the WWE promoting Couture v Angle)

But even assuming that the Couture v Angle bit is Angle just waffling again, the Joe v Angle MMA match sounds great. As long as Joe can pull of making it look convinving (I have no doubt Angle could) then he will have a great start as champion making him look very strong.

• Advertisement

if none of it is on Impact then there would be no way that they would let him do it.

It's Kurt Angle, if he wants to do something TNA aren't going to stop him. And Dixie's said that before
    Also, surely if the fight did go ahead Randy would want to promote it to Pro-Wrestling fans to get the most money from the show

What would they be promoting though? Submission wrestling doesn't have a massive fan base and the other Professional Submission League events weren't on tv and didn't do huge attendances. This fight wouldn't be about the money, unless the PSL have got some wealthy backer now that I don't know of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fozzy wrote: »
    What would they be promoting though? Submission wrestling doesn't have a massive fan base and the other Professional Submission League events weren't on tv and didn't do huge attendances. This fight wouldn't be about the money, unless the PSL have got some wealthy backer now that I don't know of

Bingo. Submission Wrestling sadly falls into the same catagory as the Gracie Invitationals and the Abu Dhabi's.....if you want to see them then you really have to go find them.

Besides, the last time Couture did something like this was against Jacare and he got a draw out of that which was amazing.

If this goes ahead Angel gets rolled, but at least he gets paid.

Well I haven't a clue how popular it is but I'd assume Angle Couture would be a big draw anywhere. Also, if Couture agreed to appear on Impact that would probably be a big enough reason for TNA to promote it to try and get a ratings boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

evil_seed wrote: »

It's not, it's a submission wrestling match, something Kurt has never competed in before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

TNA need to slap a gag order on Kurt. Everytime he speaks, I lose a little respect for TNA (something I didn't think could happen, but there ya go).

If he does fight Couture, he is gonna get his ass handed to him, so I'm all for it. Hopefully, Couture will break his jaw and sht him up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hahaha Kurtie is such a mong! I love when he does these interviews and shows up TNA even more!:D

MMA styled pro wrestling matches are notoriously difficult to pull off, theres so much stuff that you can't do. If anyone's ever seen the japanese promotion UWFi they'll know what I mean. There's so many fundamentals like running the ropes that go out the window.

I'd pay good money to see Couture hand Kurtie his ass on a plate in a shootfight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

You completely miss the point. When people say pro-wrestling can learn from MMA, the moves are just a very small part of it. It's got to do with hyping a fight.

I think you've missed the point; if you watched iMPACT, which most of is critics don't, you would know that TNA have been hyping Joe/Angle at Lockdown masterfully, much like the UFC does its big fights. Last nights episode was engrossing; for the first time in literally ages (I only watch wrestling casually now) I really, really wanted to see a show (Lockdown) and one match in particular (Joe/Angle, obviously). In other TNA happenings; Kim/Kong remains entertaining, Rough Cut has done the impossible and made me care about Kip James and BG James, while the build-up for Lethal Lockdown has been superb aswell.

I think you've missed the point; if you watched iMPACT, which most of is critics don't, you would know that TNA have been hyping Joe/Angle at Lockdown masterfully, much like the UFC does its big fights.

There's two main discussion points in this thread leaving aside Couture/Angle. The first is Joe and Angle having an "MMA style" match. The second being how they are promoting it. Your original comment was in reference to the first point. In other words, it's just a case of crossed wires.

I watched a fair portion of Impact last night too and looked out for the Angle/Joe bits in particular. Here's how I would sum it up:

- The interview Angle did in his lockeroom was great. It was money.

- The Joe MMA segment was good. It could have been done alot better (I thought it looked a little low rent and they could have had more than just 2 people commenting on Joe, especially since they were strangers tot the audience) but it was different and it made the match seem important.

- The Angle workout did nothing for me.

I think this show of theirs could do well. There's a different feel to it which makes it seem important.

In saying that, for me, so much bull has gone on since the last time they fought that I'm not looking forward to it as much as I was the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

^^^
    I think i'm somewhat with you in the sense that i'd like to be looking forward to this, though somehow i'm not especially, even though aspects of the build up have been great.

Of course, the "leaving" pro wrestling element ruins it for me.

I can't see Couture/Angle happening, and for Angle's sake, i hope it doesnt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement