Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting my sons gun legal question

Options
  • 20-03-2008 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

OK whats the legal side of me shooting my sons .223 rifle when out shooting with him. He would be the licensed holder of the gun, I would be under his supervision but would not hold a license for his gun.
    I have a licensed shotgun, so the same applies to him using my shotgun without him having a license to use my gun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

You can be added to his License to legally allow you both use the same gun
    as far as I know.

There is a section for it on the firearms application form where
    you can apply to be joined to an existing certificate.
    I dont know if you still have to pay an additional licence fee for this though,
    th_firearms-app-back.jpgth_firearms-app-front.jpg

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Hello Clive, as far as the law is concerned there's nothing stopping you using your son's gun in his presence with his permission. It starts to become a bit more complicated if you weren't accompanied by the licenced owner when using the gun ( providing evidence of permission and consent is a bit harder ) although this can be perfectly legal as well. Take the example of a seventeen year old farmer's son using the old man's gun to shoot vermin on their farm with the da's consent : perfectly legal and above board.

To avoid a lot of hassle the double licencing possibility bullets is after mentioning is the ideal solution as it leaves no grey areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I know all about getting my name on my sons license BUT I'm living in Kilkenny City and the super will not sign for anything above and including a 22 swift without going through the courts. See my other thread "223 not allowed here" and others.
    Please don't go on about how he can't do that because he can and make it very hard for me anyway.
    So if I can shoot my sons gun with my son then that will do nicely thank you very much.
    I'm looking to get a 308 and join the Midlands club in the summer to shoot targets to start with. Wish me LUCK. I may get the license in summer 2009 :mad:.

Clive J..................

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The super in Kilkenny seems to be generating a reputation for that clive. Sadly, there's not much can be done right now about it; and by the time you get to the District Court, the problem may be resolved anyway. For now, if you're on a range, you can legally use your son's rifle or one hired or borrowed while on the range. That's about the fastest solution I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Sparks wrote: »
    The super in Kilkenny seems to be generating a reputation for that clive. Sadly, there's not much can be done right now about it; and by the time you get to the District Court, the problem may be resolved anyway. For now, if you're on a range, you can legally use your son's rifle or one hired or borrowed while on the range. That's about the fastest solution I can think of.
    Thanks Sparks.
    Nice to know I can use the son's gun with him in the fields, that will do for now.
    Still at least the super has signed for my Mossburg 88 pump action shotgun, license on the way from Dublin and said he will sign for a CZ Style .22lr ordered from Duffy's and license applied for. So that will keep me happy for a while.

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    Thanks Sparks.
    Nice to know I can use the son's gun with him in the fields, that will do for now.
    Um. On a range, no worries. In the fields, er... well, I'm pretty sure the act doesn't cover that.
    he will sign for a CZ Style .22lr
    Restricted though that sounds, unless you've been target shooting for a while now, it's the better way to start target shooting than to start with a .308. It's cheaper to buy the firearm, cheaper to buy the ammo, there are more ranges you can use (both outdoor and indoor), and more competitions to take part in when you're ready, as well as a larger choice of firearms in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

if you're on a range, you can legally use your son's rifle or one hired or borrowed while on the range

Not in Midlands, you have to be licenced to use the firearm unless you are renting a club 22 AFAIK :(

No, you can legally do it in the Midlands as well - it's a club rule that says you can't.

No, you can legally do it in the Midlands as well - it's a club rule that says you can't.

But if a club rule says you can't, then how can you ? :confused:

Does the club rule not supercede the legislation, as it doesn't breach the legislation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's legal, but it's not allowed.

• Advertisement

I meant that it's perfectly legal, it's just that the club has a rule against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

could be an insurance issue?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Jonty wrote: »
    could be an insurance issue?

It could be, or it could be a specific condition on their letter of authorisation.

My original point was that you can't use a firearm at Midlands, except if you rent a club 22, that you are not licenced for irregardless of what the legislation says in response to post #9

Advertisement