Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ping giving 2 different results from 2 pc's using same internet connection

Options
  • 20-03-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Having a strange problem which'll probly make sense to someone who knows more than me...

I do a ping on a mail domain on one pc in the office and it pings an IP number which is the correct one

I walk across the floor to another pc using the same internet connection and ping the same mail domain and it pings a different IP number, an old one

Background: mail server was with a crowd in england, moved it over to an irish crowd yesterday - I understand that propogation has to occur, but don't know why two machines using same current connection show different ping results (different results happen with tracert as well)

Is there a cache of some sort on the machine that is showing the old IP number and it'll be a while til this gets updated, or can I clear it myself?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

redtom wrote: »

Is there a cache of some sort on the machine that is showing the old IP number and it'll be a while til this gets updated, or can I clear it myself?

DNS lookups are cached locally on each machine so use "ipconfig /flushdns" to dump it and force a fresk lookup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

thanks for tip - ipconfig /flushdns didn't work, did a bit of digging and found out a record was hard coded into my hosts file which i opened with "notepad %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" - deleted the reference in that and it works fine now

Advertisement