Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixolydian mode progressions

• 20-03-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I was hoping someone can help me with my tenuous grasp on roman numerals and scales/chords and how they fit.

I am experimenting with the mixolydian scale which is basically playing from G to G over a Cmajor

Notes being G A B C D E F G

Now I was looking at progressions but they are all in this kind of notation

I-VIIb-VIb-V

so what does it mean? do they mean that if I number the notes above in the scale that the progression is

G = I E = VIIb (flattened F) Eb=VIb and D= V

Or should it be the C major scale which would make it

C = I Bb = VIIb Ab=VIb and G=V note

The last would make more sense but is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Take a look at this site. I found it recently and it's very useful. The user guide goes into a bit of detail about chords, scales and progressions.

http://randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Very nice site that clears up a few things for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

damonjewel wrote: »
    Hi all

I was hoping someone can help me with my tenuous grasp on roman numerals and scales/chords and how they fit.

I am experimenting with the mixolydian scale which is basically playing from G to G over a Cmajor

Notes being G A B C D E F G

Now I was looking at progressions but they are all in this kind of notation

I-VIIb-VIb-V

so what does it mean? do they mean that if I number the notes above in the scale that the progression is

G = I E = VIIb (flattened F) Eb=VIb and D= V

Or should it be the C major scale which would make it

C = I Bb = VIIb Ab=VIb and G=V note

The last would make more sense but is this correct?

The I is always the chord that relates to the key. So if the Key is C then C = I and G = V because it's the 5th note in the scale of C and is G Mixolydian.

Hope this clears it up.

Fusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Hi,

I-VIIb-VIb-V

I - C
    VIIb - May mean an B Diminished chord in 2nd inversion, B dim/D
    VIb - May mean A Minor chord in in 2nd inversion, Am7/C
    V - G

If this is the case then all of these chords are diatonic to C Major in one way or another and will "work" with a G Mixolydian chord.

Steve

Advertisement