Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 VW Golf Hard to Start

Options
  • 20-03-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a 00 Golf Convertible with a 2L AGG engine. Ever since I bought it (bought secondhand), I have had issues starting it when cold. It sometimes starts and then as soon I reverse out of the drive it cuts out. Sometimes if I keep the revs up it keeps going. If I rev it at all during this time when the revs drop the car stalls.

After the car is running for a minute or two it is fine. It only happens first thing after a long time since previously started(such as overnight).

I have gotten the throttle body cleaned and the blue temp sensor changed but still this happens.

I have asked this question previously but I never got the bottom of it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

I wouldve thought throttle body or temperature sensor straight off.

Possible fuel injection problem? Does the car drive 100% when warmed up, or does it shudder at times?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Thanks for the quick response.

No problems when driving, except it kangroos a bit in second and third when slowing down through 1400-1200 revs. Great on the M50!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭GHGW

Does the car have a turbo fitted?

Sounds like the MAS air sensor to me, the engine is starved of air, do you get fuel dripping from the exhaust when its a cold start does it use lots of fuel in cold weather.

I know you can disconnect the MAS sensor I can in my Audi anyway and it shows a warning n dash but this is no problem then try starting the car if it starts fine its the MAS sensor about 120 euro I think to replace but you may be able to clean it.

Otherwise its an injector problem or and ECU problem with the idle level which can be fixed in VW garage..

Edit. COuld be and auto choke problem also it may not be switching on in the cold weather.

Where are you based I have full audi/VW VAG COM system on my laptop with leads if your in Clare or Wexford PM me and you can call over for a check of the fault codes some day or take a trip down to the SE some weekend if your in Dublin.

R

No turbo fitted.

Am based in north Dublin, thanks for the offer all the same. I have a hand held code reader and no error messages are displayed.

I get about 220m out of a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Gavin1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response.

No problems when driving, except it kangroos a bit in second and third when slowing down through 1400-1200 revs. Great on the M50!!

Having similar probs. No real problem starting but having some hiccups like you mention. Also misfires when you accelerate the engine hard from idle speed, no load.

Turns out the garage reckons it's spark plug leads. Could it be the same in your case?

• Advertisement

Only 220 thats madness, how much does it cost to fill the tank. Im spend about 77 euro to fill mine in my Audi TT and get about 400 miles, its a 1.8 225 BHP Quattro so its a thirst car.

You sure fuel isnt coming from the exhaust when you start?

No turbo fitted.

Am based in north Dublin, thanks for the offer all the same. I have a hand held code reader and no error messages are displayed.

I get about 220m out of a tank.

GHGW wrote: »
    Only 220 thats madness, how much does it cost to fill the tank. Im spend about 77 euro to fill mine in my Audi TT and get about 400 miles, its a 1.8 225 BHP Quattro so its a thirst car.

You sure fuel isnt coming from the exhaust when you start?

I wouldn't have thought it too bad for City driving in a 2L golf.

Can vary but about 220m.

Can`t see any fuel when started.
    I now start it for a minute or two to warm it up before driving and there is no fuel running out of the exhaust.

As I say after started it, it will restart if the engine is anyway warm.

DO you have an MPG read out on the car...

Just to put it in perspective

If you car takes 70 euro to fill the tank that equates to 70/1.20c per litre = 58 litres

58 litres = 17.96 galllons

In order for you to only be getting 220 miles per fill if it takes 70 to fill the tank then your MPG rating must be about 12.2 MPG

Thats very low and must be costing you a fortune

Usually combined driving in a VWcar of 2L will give you approx 28 mpg maybe as low as 20 for city driving.

R

Fuel Tank capacity for a golf is approx 55 litres AFAIR. In reality you're probably putting in 45 litres in a "fill", 10 gallons. With 220 miles between fills this equates to 22mpg approx. maybe more if the OP is filling up when there's more in the tank.

Either way, it's not too bad for city driving in that car. (as I said already)

(BTW 58 litres = 12.77 gals approx)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

the blue temp sensor changed but still this happens.

An AGG motor should have a 4-pin black/yellow engine temperature sender - 059 919 501 A. The blue temp sender may have been replaced by the one just mentioned.

Your symptoms sound classic of a cold start phase problem and usually that involves an incorrect temperature signal. I know you've had the sensor replaced, but have it rechecked. Any decent diagnosis machine (VAS 5051 or similar) will indicate the engine temperature. Measure the temperature while cold, before turning the key.

Advertisement