Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub sonic cartridges

• 20-03-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Was at a corporate day yesterday at a place called Avon Ri in Blessington - where allsorts of outdoor activites were on offer . I went for the air rifles ( both .177 and .22 ) and the clay shooting .

The shooting was line a mini DTL and they were using Eley sub sonic cartridges - Did'nt like them at all - too quiet and not enough of a recoil to be involved in the shooting .

I've never bought them and would'nt plan to either - I sure hope they don't become mandatory everywhere due to noise pollution !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I live near there. It's not a bad place to just kill some time. Yeah, you don't get much of a feel off them, it's true, but I suppose that adds up if you're doing a few hundred clays a day. There are a few very nice shotguns in the place though. Last time I was down I got talking to the chap who owns the place, had a browse of their gun room. Some very nice gear. Found a couple that fitted really nicely and now can't remember what any of them were. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Was given a few of those cartridges at Courtlough a good while ago. Strange feeling to say the least and slow as hell. You wouldn't have too much trouble on a fairly easy corporate sort of outlay but you seriously want to increase your lead on faster stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

I've been there and noticed this too. My guess is it's as much to do with the fact that most people that go on these corporate days have never even seen a gun before and the thoughts of firing a big loud shotgun is quite scary. Most that tried it here thought the kick was massive, and there were heaps of sore shoulders the next day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heh, with regard to the lead, yeah, noticed that alright. Very different to the heavier rounds I tried before, made it difficult to hit clays until you copped what was happening.

Advertisement