Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

start getting you priorities right NOW!!!

Options
  • 20-03-2008 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Well, good luck trying to get a banking job in the next few years - the banks will be struggling to clean up the "credit crunch" mess left by the last batch of Arts graduates... wink.gif"

that is a very true statement. I graduated last July out of there and the whole way through college i kept hearing,, ohhh i am going to america for a year or i will be grand i will do a H dip or the most popular one for the last three years was the bank option. Unfortunately my friend these options are no longer there because the way things have gone over the past 6 months. Its not nice to admit it but anyone who went away on their "couldnt be arsed to get a job straight after college" holiday funded by daddy will not have a job when they come back. Three of my friends returned from australia last October after 12months and are screwed for work. It is common knowledge now between all the big firms that recruiting will be declilned dramaticaly over the next 2yrs and these "holidayed" graduates wont be considered.

My advice which may be too late for you is that you should have decided the career or job you wanted for the rest of your life before you decided the college, location, potential fun and friends aspect that would only last 3-4 yrs. Join the rest of your arts buddies in the dimwit confusion of what to do once you have to get a job and stand on your own two feet without hiding behind mum and dads bank account, that wont last forever.

Ps whatever you do dont go away for the session year after college, those days are gone, you will not regret it, go on the holiday to beat all holidays when you are earning and successful, prob at a time when your friends are scrapping around because they would rather arse around beforehand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Abusive and downright rude is what you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

seconded here. People don't come on to boards to be lectured by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'd love to know what exactly prompted this.

Probably jealousy that he didn't take the year out.

Or else he's one of those people who likes to be a smug git... think smug married a la Bridget Jones.

Ps Polevault, you think you are being helpful but you come across as very ignorant. Also you have no definitive proof included to say that people who take a year out wouldn't be considered.

There is no way that a year out of college in any company you'd be privee to that sort of information unless daddy had gotten you the job in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gobsh*te. I know plenty of recent Arts graduates who have well paying jobs, and didn't have to beg some bank to give them the jobs either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

The majority of senior managers I've talked to, along with those who have taken a year out, agree that in some ways larger businesses prefer candidates to have the "travelling bug" dealt with BEFORE they apply, i.e. the opposite of your argument.

I think what you should really be worried about is getting a 2.1 or 1st in your degree. Most if not all of the friends of mine who managed that have travelled and secured good jobs in banking, legal firms, engineering and wide variety of other fields.

Kaptain Redeye made a good point way back when in some commerce thread about a first year wanting an internship.

Companies want a well rounded candidate who's experienced the world, not just someone who knows one thing and one thing only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

And realistically, how many of us picked Arts assuming that the BA would be where we would end our education? I know for alot of my mates it is taken as a given that they will have to get an MA or more and they knew it when they picked the course. Also, I would have thought that alot of the jobs that Arts students would fit, for example, teaching would be unaffected by a recession. Would have thought those doing Commerce would have more cause for concern

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm locking this.

OP, if you have something intelligent to say, take three deep breathes, and type it without insulting anyone.

Everyone else, please don't call people "gits" etc

Lock-ed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement