Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 month old faulty xbox 360 - my rights?

Options
  • 20-03-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My xbox 360 scratched 2 of my game disks (wasn't moved while on) in the past week making them unreadable, naturally I don't want to use it again and destroy another €70 so I want to get it fixed.

I bought it in Virgin megastore last August (07), still have the receipt, heck, I still have every piece of packaging in mint condition, but I'm a little confused on my consumer rights, would it still be covered under warranty with the retailer? I keep hearing all these different answers, 28days, 6months, a year, 2 years etc and am extremely confused, if I'm still covered with by the retailer am I entitled to request a replacement or do I just have to accept what they give me (refund/replace/repair/credit etc)

Ideally I'd just like a replacement as it'd be the quickest way to get an xbox back, but i'd settle for a repair.

should I just pop the xbox and all the parts in its box and stop into Virgin and deal with them in person or should I call before hand?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm a very passive girl, don't usually return stuff, just want to have all my rights correct so I'm not talked down and sent packing still left with a faulty xbox :p

Thanks for your help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I would say you would prob be better off getting in touch with microsoft tbh, doubt virgin could do anything for you...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The responsiblity is with virgin. Give them a call and see what they say before you go in. If youre not sure about what they tell you, post the info here for comment?

I dont know what their policy would be, but 7 months in, you really shouldnt have a problem, unless the xbox looks like its been dragged through a ditch or something. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd call Microsoft directly because:

1) It will end up there anyway
    2) They have done so many RMAs now that they are expert on them (seriously!)
    3) They will replace it directly with out any hassle

This is the exception to the rule though as usually I'd recommend the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Go to the store first, rule of thumb.

If Virgin offer a replacement then, like you say, you get an instant replacement - satisfaction.

If Virgin offer to repair the console then you can tell them it's OK and you'll contact Microsoft yourself. I find that when things are going to be sent back to the manufacturer it's usually best to cut out the middleman and go straight to them yourself. That way you're not calling Virgin to get them to call Microsoft to see how your repair is going etc etc.

I think it's a lost cause getting money back for your disks. I remember that happened to me with Tiger Woods 2007 and I used some toothpaste to buff out the scratches to be able to play it :D Failing that a trip to the CD repair guys in the city centre would be another option than forking out for new games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

call microsoft yourself first, they aint too bad. call center is based in the UK and they where quite friendly any time i sopke to them. They'll send you a UPS guy to pick up the xbox.

Reason I say call MS 1st is that if you kick up a polite stink and stay cool
    they may replace the disc's !! I havent seen this issue pop up much on the
    xbox forum recently. It happened to a friend of mine ages ago and they sent him new discs with the new console. took about 3 weeks to get it back.

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Definitely go to Virgin first as by law they are the ones responsible - you have no dealings with microsoft unless you choose to do so. If you choose to deal with microsoft then any future problems must also be dealt with by them and not virgin. Make sure you get your games replaced too as it was not your fault that they got damaged.

Your rights under law are covered with the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980.

You are entitled to a refund up to the point your legally accept the goods (no time limit - just what is reasonable time limit for you to check the goods are working correctly). So in this case you cannot get a refund as you had ample time to see that the goods were not bought already damaged.

Otherwise you are entitled to a repair or refund anytime within the length of time the goods are reasonably expected to last (I think it is limited to 6 years due to the statute of limitations - but im not sure about that part). Technically you are supposed to prove how long the goods should be expected to last taking into account the price paid and the level of use etc but here you just use common sense.

Whether you are entitled to a replacement or repair, there are no set rules. It is about what is reasonable. If the shop can get the item repaired quickly for you then it would be fair to accept a repair but if there is any delay (I would be thinking in this case a maximum of 2/3 weeks to get repaired) then you should demand a replacement and if they can't do that then demand a refund. It might be no harm to ask them how long it will take to get repaired and let them know you want it back within x days or you will be demanding a replacement. Also take note of the date, time and who you are dealing with in case there are problems.

Don't let them away with not replacing your damaged discs either. Bring the discs with you and tell them they are no use to you as they were damaged by the faulty XBOX360 and you want them replaced.

Maybe talk to virgin first as they may only want the console and the games themselves without all the leads etc.

Good luck and remember to assert your rights if there is a problem as not enough people do.

EDIT: Also record everything and make sure you get some sort of receipt (possibly signed) showing all the items that you leave at the store for repair or replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

all electrical goods are covered by a minimum warrenty afaik which is 12 months from date of purchase and the retailer is where you should return with faulty goods as your contract of sale is with virgin not microsoft or any distributor

and calls to uk call centres to have your product replaced could prove expensive while dropping it back to virgin at least they are likely to be local and will involve only national calls to check on progress etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Just wanted to add in if you bring it back to Virgin they won't give you a replacement as the console isn't totally *bleep* they would offer to ship it back to MS for a repair.

Although why not just call virgin and ask at least then you'd know for definte,if they however say they'll ship it back as another poster said cut out the middle man and ship it back yourself less hassle and less likely to get lost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

but if it gets lost after you ship it off to ms you will lose out but if virgin lose it they will have no option but to reimburse you for the missing x-box, it is always better to deal with the shop where items have been puschased for warrenty purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

calex71 wrote: »
    call microsoft yourself first, they aint too bad. call center is based in the UK and they where quite friendly any time i sopke to them. They'll send you a UPS guy to pick up the xbox.
    They'll arrange for a UPS guy to pick it up? Excellent. Just keep the receipts, so if it gets lost, you'll have proof that you've sent it, and thus be able to claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Ring the microsoft number in the leaflet/book that came with your 360.

Will be much quicker than going to the shop.

And you wont have to waste fuel driving there!
    Keep it green etc.

Advertisement