Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New back wheel and chain

Options
  • 20-03-2008 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hey,

I've got an ordinary bike that i use for commuting, i need a new back tyre (nothing fancy) and a new chain, a bicycle repair shop has reckons its gona cost about €100 or more. Is it only me or is that a tad bit over priced??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Do u mean a new wheel or tyre??

a tyre and chain should not cost €100

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The chain will probably cost between €20 and €40, whereas the tyre will probably cost somewhere between €25 and €30 plus whatever they charge labour. If they're just fitting bog standard chain and tyre, then they should be charging you a good bit less imo.

Sometimes you have to replace the rear cassette with the chain. If that's the case, then that would justify the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭rosiec

yeah thats what i thought. I only need the tyre, not the wheel. I shall try a few more places to see what the story is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I suspect they would be changing the rear cassette too. It depends on how old the chain is too, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭rosiec

as far as i know theres nothing wrong with the cassette, its only the chain that needs replacing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

There doesn't have to be anything wrong with the cassette for it to need replacing. Over time, the chain will wear down the teeth of the cogs, so that only that chain will fit the teeth. If you fit a new chain to an old cassette there is always a risk of the new chain slipping. I would ask the bike shop exactly what the repairs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Sounds like crazy money for a new tyre, chain and even a new cassette.
    between 20 and 40 quid for a chain for an old mountain bike ?? Chains go from around 5 euro up on chainreactioncycles.
    cassette 15-20.
    tyre should be around 15-20 as well.

Around 45 euro for parts and then 55 quid for labour.. ?

It seems a bit excessive. Especially for an auld bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

if its a cheap bike you are looking at a new freewhell and not a cassette, this will be at most e20.
    cheap tyre will be e15 max, tube will probably be needed this will be maximum e6, cheap chain is e13.

what exactly is wrong with the tyre, and why are you replacing the tire??

so id say e55 is what the parts will be.

labour(being really stingy here!)

tyre and tube fit labour id say e10
    brake tune..........................e10
    casstette fit........................e7
    chain fit..............................e7
    gear tune up........................e13

so that adds up to about e100.:(

not bad for a 15min job!

so its quite believable, you get noting for nothing and this is a prime example of cheap bikes being a false economy as youd get a new bike for the same price, and the cost of buying two crap bikes will get you a decent one which is better to cycle and will last longer!

thats why learning to do maintenace saves you a fortune,and buying quality pays off! especially as the park tools site is free.
    id guess you could fit the tyre yourself and save a few quid.

Advertisement