Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looks like we're all wrong, the examiner says so

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Atheism is the fastest growing Religion in Ireland...Oh wait a minute...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

bluefinger wrote: »
    looks like we're all wrong, the examiner says so
    Happily it looks to me like the number of people who are wrong are steadily declining.
    Still at 75% though. ;)

Interesting reading, even if nothing too surprising there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

45% of people actually subscribe to a religion that involves going to services. Sounds about right from what I've seen "on the street".

Anyone who calls themself "Catholic" and doesn't go to Mass except for Xmas and Eatser is kidding themselves.
    Non-believers are most likely to be found in Dublin and among the higher social classes while the strongest beliefs, practices and loyalty to the Church are found in Connacht/Ulster and among the farming classes.
    Which links perfectly into a point I made on another thread and shows that there's a link between religious belief and lower rates of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Anyone who calls themself "Catholic" and uses a condom is kidding themselves. Catholocism (SP?) is laughably (SP?) stupid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Didn't say who carried out the survey, nor what questions were asked, nor how many people were interviewed. And it appeared in the Examiner. None of which suggest that it's an entirely accurate reflection of reality. Perhaps it's best to wait for the source data...

• Advertisement

Catholocism (SP?) is laughably (SP?) stupid.
    I'm laughing alright - but not at Catholicism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

robindch wrote: »
    Didn't say who carried out the survey, nor what questions were asked, nor how many people were interviewed. And it appeared in the Examiner. None of which suggest that it's an entirely accurate reflection of reality. Perhaps it's best to wait for the source data...
    It says RedC (redcreseach.ie) carried it out... I always wish I had access to the full survey though, as the article writer presumably had :( More interesting

They were talking about this on the Moncrieff show on Newstalk earlier, FYI...

I texted in, I'm awesome ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They used a company called RedC
    info here:
    http://www.redcresearch.ie/themethodology.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's all those damn farming classes ruining everything. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

DaveMcG wrote: »
    It says RedC (redcreseach.ie) carried it out...
    Oops, I didn't read that para as it was under the obtrusive piece of advertizing in the middle of the page. Thought it was part of the ad. <sigh>

Well, with 1,000 people, the figures should be pretty accurate. Though I'd still like to see the source data!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

I knew that was you who text that comment in. Signed Dave as apposed to DaveMcG wasn't it? You said that Religion only fills the gaps left by science or something. Yeah I couldn't stop laughing. Good one :D

I texted in not long after. You might have heard it.

i switched off before the guy who talks to dogs came on so maybe i missed your comment.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

i switched off before the guy who talks to dogs came on so maybe i missed your comment.....?

That's when I tuned out too, not because I didn't find it interesting but because by that time I needed to get out of my car. Not even sure he read out my comment. Ah sure, I think I'll survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the jumps in non-believer is substantial,even if it still looks small compared to the ala carte christians though.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

By contrast, there is no change in the numbers who say they pray, be it regularly or just on occasions. In 1981, 1990 and 1999 those who prayed numbered 81.5%, 84% and 82% respectively, while today’s survey shows it to be 84%.

84% praying is the figure that stuns me a bit. Wouldn't have expected that.

Maybe this includes those praying for lotto wins etc??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

seamus wrote: »
    Which links perfectly into a point I made on another thread and shows that there's a link between religious belief and lower rates of education.

I work in training a lot of people who would have had a poor education in their lives (Even poorer now they're stuck with me) and quite a lot wouldn't have much time for the church at all...

Unfortunately they tend to fill their heads with angels and crystals and such instead which is probably even more unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

in my experience most people dont have a rashers in what they believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sangre wrote: »

I have noticed this too.

They are told they are Catholic when there small and thats the end of it.

No church except for Communion and Confirmation. Thats it just the things which people associate with their Religion.

I love questioning these "catholics" about their religion. Its great fun getting "chav" girls angry because they think they are something they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sangre wrote: »

This.

I'd like to see a survey where someone asks:

1. What is your religion? [Catholic]
    2. Do you believe in transubstantiation? [No]
    3. Do you believe in the virgin birth? [No]
    4. Do you agree with the C.Church's stance on abortion? [No]
    5. Do you agree with the C.Church's stance on homosexuality? [No]
    6. Do you use contraception? [Yes]
    7. Do you think it is possible to rise from the dead? [No]
    8. ...etc...
    9. Are you sure you're a Catholic? :D [ehh...... think I have to go to confession.......]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

8. ...etc...
    9. Are you sure you're a Catholic? :D [ehh...... think I have to go to confession.......]

lol .. that would be most of my "Catholic" friends .... seriously talking to them about the beliefs of the Catholic Church is like a scene from Father Ted where Doogle asks was Jesus real.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

5uspect wrote: »
    Like the Iona Institute poll, on Craggy Island it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

* One in three think a woman is either partly or fully to blame if she wears revealing clothes.

Wtf? This is bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

The implication is that Men are animals, of course. Look at the Muslim world: the Qu'ran talks about modesty... and that's it. Nothing in there about women covering themselves from head to toe in black, including the face. That came later.

In a secular society, you'd hope that such measures aren't necessary, and women can wear what they want, when they want. That's generally true, isn't it? Behind the surveyed opinion that women attract rape by the clothes they wear is the converse opinion: women who wear such clothes are "loose", and legitimate targets. I wonder what the sexual assault statistics are for US states, North vs South?

110593258v7_240x240_Front.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

8. ...etc...

that's called push polling highly recommended by frank luntz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

It says RedC (redcreseach.ie) carried it out... I always wish I had access to the full survey though, as the article writer presumably had :( More interesting

were you the chap that txte'd in with all the big words and angst rebellious tone?

think i remember that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This thread is interesting, because a lot of it is overwhelmingly true, and I can say that as a believer. Many of you are right some people like to believe (or think they believe as the case may be) for the sake of having an identity to hold on to. I have confidence in my being an Christian (Anglican), but it's true for much of the population that they aren't really sure what they believe.

• Advertisement

bogwalrus wrote: »
    were you the chap that txte'd in with all the big words and angst rebellious tone?

think i remember that;)
    Nope that musta been someone else!

Advertisement