Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a pointless pointless exercise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

Well I should feel sorry for them becuase they probably don't know any better but FFS nailing yourself to a lump of 2x4?

"There's only one word for that, Idiocy" Kent Brockman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I remember a bunch of them did this last year. If there was ever a candidate for our 'Generally Strange' thread this would be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I noticed this line: "Often people soak the nails in alcohol throughout the year."

I wonder if the nails are all that gets soaked in alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What ever about being nuts and dangerous, isn't this like blasphemous?

PDN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wicknight wrote: »
    What ever about being nuts and dangerous, isn't this like blasphemous?

PDN?

What worries me is that in the second photo (the one where the guy is being nailed to the Cross) he appears to be wearing a Santa hat!
    _44503963_crucifixions3_b203_ap.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Is it wrong that the first thought I had when I read this was turning up there and seeing if we could get a singalong going of "Always look on the bright side of life?" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is it wrong that the first thought I had when I read this was turning up there and seeing if we could get a singalong going of "Always look on the bright side of life?" :)
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Well I should feel sorry for them becuase they probably don't know any better but FFS nailing yourself to a lump of 2x4?

"There's only one word for that, Idiocy" Kent Brockman.

Idiocy is exactly what it is. There's a few stupid religious rituals but this really takes the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Idiocy is exactly what it is. There's a few stupid religious rituals but this really takes the biscuit.

LOL, bit of an underestimate there aidan! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Let's not be too patronising in saying that shouldn't know better; this is sheer idiocy of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

DaveMcG wrote: »
    LOL, bit of an underestimate there aidan! :D

I was just trying to be nice for a change :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

PDN wrote: »
    I noticed this line: "Often people soak the nails in alcohol throughout the year."
    Unless they've made special nails out of surgical stainless steel, that's something else that's pointless. When the steel rusts, as normal steel will, there's plenty of space for germs to gather and get in. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Pffff, they do better things on Jackass.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I was intrigued by the "They want people to have what they call "well-maintained" whips" bit. I dread to ask how one achieves this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I thought the whole point of Christianity was that Jesus got crucified for your sins. Are they saying, by doing this, that, while his efforts were admirable, he didn't do quite enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Myksyk wrote: »
    I thought the whole point of Christianity was that Jesus got crucified for your sins. Are they saying, by doing this, that, while his efforts were admirable, he didn't do quite enough?
    You'd have to ask them that - me, I think their actions tell me more than I need to know, about the thought processes in effect there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I saw footage of this a few years back. One thing you can say for the Filipinos, they certainly don't do things by half.

Can you really see Biddie O'Reilly popping down to the local Holy Roasary to be flogged, tacked to a couple of sticks and displayed for the entire village to see? o, of course not. You'd catch cold in ireland :rolleyes:

Asiaprod: A combination of 1 part linseed oil to 2 parts rapeseed oil rubbed into the length of the whip with a soft cloth once a week every week before coiling the whip. Cracks in the leather are a good place for germs etc to multiply and could lead to serious staph infections.

... how i know this is another matter entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Can you really see Biddie O'Reilly popping down to the local Holy Roasary to be flogged, tacked to a couple of sticks and displayed for the entire village to see? o, of course not. You'd catch cold in ireland :rolleyes:
    Well that Biddie O'Reilly is a filthy ho'. I reckon she's into that sort of thing

Compare this to something like a nativity play. Although it is much less extreme, I'm surprised the vatican look down on this and not another re-enactment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Incidentally, did anyone else think that this thread was going to be about Alistair McGrath's latest offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

... how i know this is another matter entirely.
    Might come in useful ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement