Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel - Choices Mondeo/ Laguna/ C5/ Octavia

Options
  • 20-03-2008 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi all, sorry for doing another help me choose thread but eh, help me choose, please :)

Basically, I'm looking for a diesel, budget 7k but will go to around 7.5.

I've been looking at between Mondeos, Lagunas, C5's & Octavias.
    The problems with the Mondeos & Octavias is all the ones in my budget are around 2002 with most having really high mileage.

Where as I can pick up one of the "Frenchies" a fair bit cheaper. I'm basically wondering is there any huge pit falls with the Laguna & C5. Should I avoid them. Is the whole "the French couldn't build a reliable car..." thing gone?

I know the C5 seems to depreciate a fair bit, which is handy for me buying and I'd be holding on to the car for a few years anyway. I like the look of the Laguna and there priced reasonably.

I'd appreciate anything help you could offer lads.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I just had a similar conversation with my Da and posted a similar thread here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055259007

My Da told me that my uncle has had a lot of electrical problems with his laguna so that has kinda turned me off them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I know the Renaults were dodgy on the electricals alright. Suppose that's what I'm trying to find out, are they all ropey with the electrics or is the few giving the rest of them a bad name.

What's people's opinions on the C5? Anyone had one? What did you think?

Should have mentioned fuel efficiency would be one of the main factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Reading on Honestjohn apparently the facelift 2005 Laguna model has been vastly improved.
    I quite like the look of them and the prices in the UK are dirt cheap, the 2litre 205bhp petrol and 175bhp diesel(and still quoted at 47mpg) looking particularly tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

C5 isn't a bad yoke. Just be sure that it's had all it's recalls. The C5's hydractive suspension makes it a comfortable ride. Plenty of gadgets on board, if that floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Tragedy wrote: »
    Reading on Honestjohn apparently the facelift 2005 Laguna model has been vastly improved.
    I quite like the look of them and the prices in the UK are dirt cheap, the 2litre 205bhp petrol and 175bhp diesel(and still quoted at 47mpg) looking particularly tasty.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I had a 01 mondeo for 3 years , found it to be a good car. Didin't have much trouble, the only thing was the lift pump at 90K miles went and this was pricey to put right but I really did like the car and will probably buy another one. As for the Octavia I quite like them ,had a 99 petrol and had it from new for 5 years ,without a fault, but I took a TDI 05 one out for a test drive and just found it lacking in power, but I am currently driving an is200 at the moment so this might have me a little ruined when it comes to looking for power. Not quite gone on the older C5's, and don;t know much about them. The laguna is one car I keep looking at with the promise to buy but with all the reports on the reliability issues I usually balk and go with something a little safer. I would go with the Mondeo Zetec only other than that I would go for the Octavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

this is a no brainer

there is no choice to be made here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Ay Cee wrote: »
    I know the Renaults were dodgy on the electricals alright. Suppose that's what I'm trying to find out, are they all ropey with the electrics or is the few giving the rest of them a bad name.

What's people's opinions on the C5? Anyone had one? What did you think?

My wife had a Laguna 2002 1.9diesel estate. The engine was solid but electric put me off. Lights, window, card key, tyre sensor problems. Sold it!

I have no experience of the C5 but I do have a C4 HDi. Again engine is fantastic (65mpg) 3 years old and 75000kms later no problems(touch wood). Octavia would be my choice
    Have a look the this link
    http://www.whatcar.com/used-car-summary.aspx?RT=2542&type=1
    Good Luck

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

this is a no brainer

there is no choice to be made here

So what choice have u suggested then :rolleyes:

The new laguna is nice and vastly improved, the C5 I think still has some issues with suspension and electrics, the father in laws 2002 is killing him with problems,

The Octavia and Mondeo, personal choice the Mondeo, but I have driven the Octavia and bar the plastic feel about the interior I would have no problem with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

The Mondeo would get my vote.

OP, another car you might consider which is often overlooked is the Seat Toledo - get one of the last 04/05 model with all the gadgets, enjoy 55mpg+, and they are available at very reasonable money.
    Forget about the newer model one unless you have a strong stomach!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

crosstownk wrote: »
    C5 isn't a bad yoke. Just be sure that it's had all it's recalls. The C5's hydractive suspension makes it a comfortable ride. Plenty of gadgets on board, if that floats your boat.

+1
    i would either get one of these or a peugeot 406 with your budget. there engines are bullet proof

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mackattack

I had an 01 Mondeo diesel zetec from 03 to 07 racked up 60K in it, for me it was a great car never any issue apart from the back wiper motor packing in and the aerial being stolen.
    I bought a Skoda Octavia with very low mileage on it and although engine wise it is a great car the comfort is not the same small things like leg room and a slightly lower grade finish make me think about switching back to a newer Mondeo.
    No idea about the Renault but my dad has a Peugeot 406 and swears it’s the best diesel engine car on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

From the point of view of the Mondeo, until recently I thought they were a good car but a friend of mine bought a 2006 TDCi 2.0L and its brutal. Its dead as a dodo and only giving 45 mpg:eek:.

He's particularly pissed now off because many of the modern 1.8L petrol cars are giving 40+ mpg.

Bugs him more because he had a Toyota Bore-olla and he was getting that.

Maybe he bought a dud though because many people are satisfied with the Mondeo.

Many thanks to you all for taking the effort to reply. I'm going to go with the Mondeo. Was looking at one yesterday. Any one here driving an 02 Zetec? What's your opinion? What mileage do you get out of full tank, how much to fill etc? Baring in mind I'm not a lead foot :)

My main reason for switching is fuel efficiency. I'm going to be doing a bit more travelling these days. But after reading the Diesel Thread I'm starting to wonder. From what I can see, Petrol cars are selling cheaper than the diesels and I'm starting to wonder, what I get out of the extra MPG am I just going to neutralise it at the pump.

What I mean is, if it's cheaper to buy unleaded and the diesel looks set to go up and up, and the diesel isn't as enviromentally friendly as I thought after reading that thread. Would I be better off looking at some fuel efficient petrols?

Really appreciate your help on this lads.
    Thanks.

Advertisement