Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions?

Options
  • 20-03-2008 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

hey hey
    thinking of giving this a rattle on saturday morning http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dublin/1174083005
    does anyone know if this would be reasonably sign-posted? i'll be doing it on my own so would appreciate frequent signs for dublin along the way. also, are there landmarks i should be looking out for? turn right at glencullen and whatnot?
    thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

my theory is that if you get lost it only adds extra miles onto the journey and you get to see places you have never been before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

E@gle. wrote: »
    my theory is that if you get lost it only adds extra miles onto the journey and you get to see places you have never been before.
    heh, i suppose that is an upside. just don't want to end up in bray is all. have a train to catch later that afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

well since i created that map on mapmyride, i suppose I should answer :D
    I found it to be well signposted, it was very straightforward. For the first half or so you're following any signs for sally gap - once you get to foxes go right, then you're on a loop around glencree which brings you up over the gap.Left at the top (this road is COLD!!) and you're heading to Djouce mountain, there's a nasty kick back up here so save something for that. Once you clear that hill it's downhill for a good bit, and a left at the first (?) crossroad you see which points to enniskerry. There on in it's main sandyford road. Enjoy!

kenmc wrote: »
    well since i created that map on mapmyride, i suppose I should answer :D
    I found it to be well signposted, it was very straightforward. For the first half or so you're following any signs for sally gap - once you get to foxes go right, then you're on a loop around glencree which brings you up over the gap.Left at the top (this road is COLD!!) and you're heading to Djouce mountain, there's a nasty kick back up here so save something for that. Once you clear that hill it's downhill for a good bit, and a left at the first (?) crossroad you see which points to enniskerry. There on in it's main sandyford road. Enjoy!
    what a hero! it's quite the map and no mistake. thanks a mill for the directions, will attempt to give it a rattle tomorrow. I'm thinking about 4'30" (i'm coming from town). reasonable?

easily in 4:30. myself and a friend did it in 3:02.
    Oh and I didn't go and make the map by hand, my gps hrm outputs it in a format mapmyride can import!
    btw, dunno if you have done this already, but if you click the 'display elevation' button on the left of the map you get a profile across the distance

• Advertisement

easily in 4:30. myself and a friend did it in 3:02.
    Oh and I didn't go and make the map by hand, my gps hrm outputs it in a format mapmyride can import!
    crikey. i've done 40 miles in 3 hours but this, crucially, had no wicklow mountains in the middle. fair play.

and that gadget sounds sweet. i will be bringing flapjacks and a speedo. low-fi, me.

i will be bringing flapjacks and a speedo. low-fi, me.
    This? r547138-p547139-front.jpg:eek:or this? r468505-p546387-front.jpg

I'd say the first would be too cold :D

This? r547138-p547139-front.jpg:eek:or this? r468505-p546387-front.jpg

I'd say the first would be too cold :D

nails, me.

well then. took me 4'35" on the nose. absolutely brilliant route, picturesque, challenging, and nearby. it does get cold as phuck up there on the mountain (frozen puddles, icicles, etc.) and the surfaces can be a little uneven, but a great way to start a weekend. kudos, kenmc.

54 miles. have to that twice in one day before wicklow 200. the joys.

Glad you enjoyed it. I should have mentioned to you that you could come as far as enniskerry with the 'Son of Training Run' group - turns out that 2 of us went up the gap from there anyway - you would have had some company. Nice run though, it's definitely one I'll do again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement