Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolans annouce plans for Limerick festival

Options
  • 20-03-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH
    The best thing ever to hit Limerick is now confirmed.
    You may or may not be aware that Dolan’s Warehouse is open 10 years on April 29th of this year.
    To celebrate, we have organised a fabulous 3 day outdoor music festival on the docks (just across the road from Dolan's) It will take place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday 2nd, 3rd and 4th of May (the bank holiday)
    It’s our first time ever attempting something of this size but we are optimistic that it will finally put Limerick on the Irish Festival scene for once and for all!
    The 3 gigs will take place under a specially flown in Marquee so even if it rains (as it tends to do in Limerick in May) customer comfort will not be compromised! The line up is below and as always we are telling you first so you can be first in line for tickets. They will go on sale tomorrow Wednesday 19th at 9am for Music Lovers and on Friday March 21st for everyone else.

Fri May 2nd
    Gates at 6pm
    6:30pm Kiernan McMullan & Band
    7:15pm Dolan’s Original Legends
    8:00pm Eoin Coughlan & Band
    9:00pm Sharon Shannon’s Big Band with Shane
    McGowan, Mundy, Seamus Begley & loads more special guests
    Tickets are €35+booking

Sat May 3rd
    Gates @ 6pm
    6:30pm FRED
    7:15pm We Should Be Dead
    8pm Headgear
    8:45pm Delorentos
    10pm The Zutons
    Tickets are €30 + booking

Sun May 4th
    Gates at 6pm
    6:30pm Brendan Markham & band
    7:15pm Supermodel Twins
    8pm The Blizzards
    9:30pm The Sawdoctors
    Tickets are €25 + booking

A 3 day ticket is yours for only €80 including booking
    More info on this brilliant event will be on our website over the next few days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's not the greatest line-up ever assembled but I for one think it's fantastic news that Dolans are putting this together.

Hopefully this will tie in nicely with the Riverfest which is held on the same weekend.

And continuing on from here, hopefully this will become the norm for this weekend with bigger acts each year.

The Marquee in Cork has a fabulous line-up this year but it too started from small acts like this.

Thats study week in UL......not a good idea.

Perhaps not, but it's the only free bank-holiday in the calendar, most of the others are lined up with high profile festivals.

I wish the city was more involved with UL, and that UL was more involved with the city, but they aren't.

Anyway, surely most students are still carefree enough to see a gig a week before the exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

Let me just say I wouldn't kick the girl out of The Zutons out of bed for eating Taytos, and they've some catchy songs too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

is there a riverfest this year? Seeing as there wasn't a Springfest?
    Fair play to Dolans. Lineup not for me but should be good anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

Thats a great line-up. Saturday in particular.
    I thought i'd heard Abi the lady left the zutons, but their site says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

not bad for 80 quid...great things from small beginnings and all that.i hope they don't f*ck it up by not having the proper facilities and provisions in place to support the amount of people going (i know, i know...im a cynical cow. i cant help it! :p) 'cause things like that can eff up getting consents etc for future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

vkid wrote: »
    is there a riverfest this year? Seeing as there wasn't a Springfest?

found this on the net

"Limerick River Fest 2008

02 May 2008 - 04 May 2008

Ireland West, Limerick, Limerick City

This year's expanded festival programme sees the return of the established favorites such as the River Shannon-igans, River Feast International BBQ Competition, the European Market, Riverfest Global Beats and the River Fringe Arts Trail. Riverfest 2008 will celebrate Limerick's long fashion tradition with the Limerick International Fashion Experiment inviting Fashion Students from around Ireland and Europe to Limerick to compete with their fresh original designs for the Jim Kemmy Student Fashion Award. The Festival of Urban Sports Events will take to the streets of the city as Street Mountain Bike Racers, Skateboarders, Street Artists and much more come to Limerick to enthrall festival goers with the best of Urban Sports players. Full details are available on the web site below.

Contact

Telephone: +353 (0)61 40 0200
    Address: 101 Baker Place, Tait Square, Limerick City, Limerick, Republic of Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

ellenmelon wrote: »
    not bad for 80 quid...great things from small beginnings and all that.i hope they don't f*ck it up by not having the proper facilities and provisions in place to support the amount of people going (i know, i know...im a cynical cow. i cant help it! :p) 'cause things like that can eff up getting consents etc for future events.

I understand there will ample toilet facilities, a bar, Ambulance, security etc. in place for the w/end.
    Hopefully if will be a success and future similar events will be held. Dolan's have the experience to do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

One thing that'll really make it go well - the SUN. Please God let it be nice weather - haven't we had enough wind,rain, and cold for the next decade...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

I understand there will ample toilet facilities, a bar, Ambulance, security etc. in place for the w/end.
    Hopefully if will be a success and future similar events will be held. Dolan's have the experience to do it right.

You can run a successful pub and venue but that doesn't always translate into running a three day outdoor festival. They have the artist connection and they are a well known 'brand' for want of a better word so it's easier to get funding etc. As I've said, I am hiiighly cynical about new events 'til proven wrong :D I do hope it goes well and the council give more resource consents for future things to not just Dolan's but to other things as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Halfa

Depsite the cynics on here I wish them well. They have put Limerick on the musical map, the city is blessed with one of the best venues in Europe IMO.
    Whats on your doorstep isn't always appreciated.
    10 years of running gigs up to 7 nights a week. They more than have enough expertise to pull it off. Weather won't be an issue either as its indoors :)

Best of luck to them, I for one will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

This looks good. I'm thinking of visiting Limerick for the bank holiday this weekend. Where could I get a ticket for the Saturday night gig?

Hey Lisbon

I bought my tickets securely through their website

http://www.dolanspub.com/event.php

Eliminates rip off ticketmaster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Thanks for that Halfa (yeah, I hate giving those parasites my hard earned €'s)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

saw the marquee there today. didnt think itd be that big!! looks cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Went the the gig last night, Brill :D Shane McGowan Mundy, Sharon Shannon and the gang were great, Plenty of toilets, Small enough bar thro buy two at a time but I think they will have more bar room/staff on tonight. Massive marque

Brilliant gig. We had a great night, well organised, great Marquee etc etc. Can't wait for The Zutons :p

Weird night, the bands were great but the crowd seemed absolutely bored rigid except for when the respective bands played their singles.

Hard to work out how big the crowd was, they were expecting 2000 but I'd estimate it was in the 1,500 region.

Fair play to Dolans for going out and arranging it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doe

Wasn't that impressed with the Zutons to be honest. The female sax player has to be the most annoying and useless band member ever! The only thing she seemed to there for was dancing and eye candy for the lads. :rolleyes:
    The other bands were brilliant though. Delorentos seemed to get the best reception. And they put the most energy into their performance. Better than the Zutons I thought. A lot of people seemed to leave early. Tickets were a bit of a rip off in the end if you werent a big fan of the Zutons. They could have filled the place up more if the tickets had been priced lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Got free tickets for upstairs at work, band were supposed to start at 9, but the support didn't start til well after 10 and it was 12 before they started. Went down and paid into Kila instead, they were brilliant.

Amazing weekend, just what Limerick needed. Hopefully it becomes an annual event. Congrats to Dolan's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

We went to the last day of it. Arrived just before the Blizzards. They were great - so much energy. The crowd was a bit sparse when they came on, but they went for it anyway, really semeed to enjoy themselves too. The sound system was good - could feel the bass thump in your chest during their set.
    Didn't enjoy the Saw Doctors. Was disappointed, especially after such a strong performance from the Blizzards. I found them bland and smug. Cringed and winced at bits when they were going on about burgers, bebo and imaginary GAA matches. Left after they sang I Useta Lover. Dull.
    The security presence was a little heavy handed I thought, considering no one appeared to be making any trouble. Three of them shoved their way urgently through the crowd at one point to deal with a little kid on someone's shoulders which was a bit comical.

Thought the Saw Doctors were great, but I guess you either love their brand of shambolic Galway pop-rock or not. They're just a good fun band who don't take themselves all that seriously.

There was a heavy Garda presence alright, but remember, at the Lark in the Park in the late 80's/early 90's, some nutjob went around stabbing 7 people. If you you were Dolans would you risk having your name associated with that happening? (admittedly, very unlikely, but you just can't risk it).

I think it was important there was no trouble hence the security. Dublin media would have had a field day as per usual, would have been very bad for the city

Advertisement