Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper age limit

Options
  • 20-03-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi
    I was just wondering if there is an upper age limit to adopt?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

Just wondering if this is phrased wrong. Basically i am interested in adoption foreign or domestic and looked a while ago to find out if there was an upper age limit for prospective parents me and hubby and could not find an answer. I am 37 and he is 34 and if we were to go down this road is there a cut off age when we would no be considered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 semicolon

Hi cobweb,

Myself and hubby in process of foreign adoption. There is no upper age limit to apply to the HSE however some countries you may wish to adopt from do have their own limits so you need to be aware of that when selecting your country. You are both well under 40 so there should not be any age issued IMHO.

The wait for foreign adoption is years so you may want to apply to your local HSE soon if you are considering adoption. We are in the Dublin area and it has taken us 3 years to get onto the Preparation Course. There are very very few children available for adoption domestically. Check out http://www.adoptionboard.ie/index.php for information on adoption.

Good luck with it if you go ahead.
    Shell (borrowing hubby's Boards username account :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

thank you for that as i had heard it was 40 and this freaked me a bit as i heard there was a 3 year wait so i reckoned i was already too old
    thanks again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 carriebyrne

Am amazed and angered by the three years waiting list to even get on an information course for adoption followed by 3 more years of hassle and HSE incompetent bureaucracy to bring home your adopted child. 6 years? Why do this to people who have probably endured at least 3 years of infertility, horrible testing and failed fertility treatment?
    Come on, lets do something about this, no other country in EU treats adoptive parents so shoddily.
    I propose media coverage,a petition, a march and suggested policy for them to consider. Any other ideas and who wants to join in in an effort to shorten the waiting times? thanks and look forward to hearing from you

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

As a rule of thumb the upper age limit for adoptive parents is 55 for the man if he has already parented, 50 if not and between 45/50 for the woman.

Brendan

• Advertisement
Advertisement