Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam operating by a company

Options
  • 20-03-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Has anyone been approached by a company called H2O and been promised a bottle of wine or a set of steak knives if they are willing to allow the h2o rep into their house to "test" :D the water as part of a "survey"?. Invariably the results of this "test" show that the water is unfit for human consumption:( (this was also true of a fresh bottle of Ballygowan I had in my fridge).
    The test consists of putting a couple of probes in the water and running current through it, which makes it turn black and gooey.
    Suddenly, the "survey" becomes a hard sell operation with immense pressure applied to obtain a deposit on a drinking water or reverse osmosis filter. The filter system costs 2,700 euro but if you sign up immediately you can have it for 2,100 euro .... happy days ...NOT.
    I think the whole thing is a very well run and slick scam. Anyone out there been caught?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

Has anyone been approached by a company called H2O and been promised a bottle of wine or a set of steak knives if they are willing to allow the h2o rep into their house to "test" :D the water as part of a "survey"?. Invariably the results of this "test" show that the water is unfit for human consumption:( (this was also true of a fresh bottle of Ballygowan I had in my fridge).
    The test consists of putting a couple of probes in the water and running current through it, which makes it turn black and gooey.
    Suddenly, the "survey" becomes a hard sell operation with immense pressure applied to obtain a deposit on a drinking water or reverse osmosis filter. The filter system costs 2,700 euro but if you sign up immediately you can have it for 2,100 euro .... happy days ...NOT.
    I think the whole thing is a very well run and slick scam. Anyone out there been caught?

bloody hell. My ma rang me a few weeks ago and said that someone had rang her and wanted to perform these tests. I remember saying to her that it sounded dodgy alright and that if they rang back to tell them she wasn't interested. It was really down to the fact that I didn't want them bothering my ma, but I didn't realise it was in fact a scam.

Thanks for heads up. I'll defo tell her now if she hears back from them to hang up the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Don't let anyone into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Well we had them in our house and they ran similar tests on the water. Quite shocking the result. The chap was very nice but the price wasnt exactly to our liking. Suppose been drinking it all our life hasnt done us that much harm. Not worth the near 3k price tag. Still got two bottles of vino out of them. :D

Doesnt seem to be much wrong with the company tbh. How is it a scam. They demonstate thier product and your option is to buy it. They try the hard sell yes, but thats there job isnt it. Salesperson.

If you dont like it,dont buy it, simple.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Their so called testing sounds shady, even if their product is wonderful. That alone would put me off.

We got the leaflets and a guy trying to test the water, but tbh, if it was going to kill me, it would have by now, so I didnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

well i think its the whole scaremongering tactics they use. I'm sure they achieve the same 'test results' in every household they call to. And of course there are going to be people out there who'll be shocked at finding out how 'dirty' the water is they're drinking so they could easily fall victim to handing over whatever the fee is for their filtering systems. Like new mothers etc? Surely the thought of your baby drinking 'dirty' water isn't a nice idea, they for example , might be easily swayed?

Anyway 3k for a filtering system? Whoa. We got a filter system installed in work recently (not from this company) and it cost €500 incl VAT, the water's lovely and clear now (makes a mean cuppa!) so how they can justify 3k is beyond me.

Its also how they market themselves. When my ma rang me she seemed to have gotten the impression that they were almost government run?? Don't know where she got that from.

Anyhow, its just doesn't sound quite right does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

That can't be right at all.Impurties in water are usually in ppm (mg/L).Surely theres no enough to react to make it go, black and gooey as you say.

Sounds like a bit of a scam to me.
    Perhaps he dropped some crappy cheap Vino in to the water sample.It would explain what you saw.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 metroman_12000

Its a scam alright :mad: I just found this http://www.ncf.org.za/docs/publications/consumerfair/vol4/testing.html

and this: http://www.watertestscam.org.za/

and this: http://www.cslb.ca.gov/news/news20020110.asp

Apparantly any water with minerals in it will turn gooey if you pass electrical current throught it. When they set up their demo they use your water in one glass (full of minerals, mostly harmless) and they put distilled water which they bring with them in another glass (no minerals in distilled water) When they switch on the probes ... shock horror !!! Your tap water is unfit for human consumption. The ordinary Joe Soap is tricked into parting with huge sums of money. As for the website looking legit, any gob****e can have a website icon10.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I posted about this recently in another thread.

I missed it as i said my husband works away. Poor me :rolleyes:

Neighbour got caught though. Basically they wont show unless your partner is there, so there's no phone call the following day saying "hubby not interested, sorry to waste your time"

Very very pushy sales tactics, telling them they would get cancer / allow their kids to get cancer by not putting this in. Made them sign the direct debit there and then.

When I told the neighbour about the scam , it did not go down too well. I asked them to ask them to test Ballygown and distilled water! No joy. When this couple tried to back out they got very very nasty. Seemingly the thing was installed the next day, not allowed to pull out, not allowed to cancel DD.

Nasty, nasty, nasty. I'd have told them to take it away, but they got suckered an they know it. We have great water here, yet it's truly amazing how many they have sold on the back of "so and so has it in his house". I rang the "so and so" in question, and while he had a filter in his house, it was nothing to do with them. He was not impressed :D

So I would say avoid at all costs!

Well done OP for bringing it to peoples attention!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This crowd are based in Galway. I'm almost sure that they are the same crowd that Donegal Co. Council are taking to court over claims they alledgedly made about the water in certain parts of Donegal. The same hard sell tactics were used.

Basically, bargepoles, touch and don't spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Eh... do a search. These f**kers (using the same name) have been around for a while (read: at least a year, maybe more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

if it is the compamny Pure H20 then it is NOT A SCAM. and no, i dont work or have any affiliation with them in any way what so ever. i just know of the company because a few years ago i had some dealings with them on a professional level (not purchasing their water systme or workig for them) and they are a perfectly reputable company.

all i know about them is that their water purifiers are really good but a bit expensive. it think they are meant as a long term investment.

you might have just got a pushy sales man or something.

They reason they won't call unless both partners are present is because, after the demo you might say, "I will discuss it with my partner and get back to you". They depend on doing the trick with the probes and getting you to part with your money while you are in shock. If most people had time to reflect on spending 2 or 3K on a simple filter they would decide against it. Also it leaves you with no time to look around to see how much legit companies charge ..... I have heard they are very nasty people if you try to back out after signing up with them. A lady called Joe Duffy's show last Thursday 13th March. She spoke to the manager and he swore down the phone at her. She stopped her cheque and then they sued her for 2,800 euro. Her barrister advised her to pay as he felt she would lose the case. The case would be about a stopped cheque, not about her being conned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

board om wrote: »
    if it is the compamny Pure H20 then it is NOT A SCAM. and no, i dont work or have any affiliation with them in any way what so ever. i just know of the company because a few years ago i had some dealings with them on a professional level (not purchasing their water systme or workig for them) and they are a perfectly reputable company.

all i know about them is that their water purifiers are really good but a bit expensive. it think they are meant as a long term investment.

you might have just got a pushy sales man or something.
    Their purifiers might be good and indeed, might be considered a long term investment if there was a need for them. Clearly, in Donegal they were scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

As far as I'm aware one of the EU consumer Directives entitles a consumer to back out of any transaction made with door to door saling for up to a certain period (say 14 days). It is to stop hard sells like these.

let me double check.

edit -

a quick search reveals "Council Directive 85/577/EEC of 20 December 1985 to protect the consumer in respect of contracts negotiated away from business premises" which covers doorstep selling and entitles a consumer 'a right of cancellation over a period of at least seven days in order to enable him to assess the obligations arising under the contract'. Pretty sure there is a more recent directive for this though.

also a europa document (EU webside) on consumer rights claims aggressive doorstep selling tactics are illegal. Don't know law for this though.

I would be very suspicious of anyone who defends this company and its methods. The units they sell for 2 and 3K can be bought for around 350/400 euro, and some of the cheaper ones have more features. How can 5 water filters cost 3,000 euro? As for them being long term ... the filters have to be changed every 9 to 12 months. In the USA a company called everpure used the probes to con people into buying their water filters. The sales manager of that company got 6 months in jail, gthe salesman got 3 months, both were put on probation. They were ordered to refund 50 customers in full and banned from ever being involved in retail sales of water treatment equipment ever again. That says it all. We have no consumer protection laws it seems, well not like the USA at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

emm. despite what you think, eu/irish consumer laws are far, far superior to the US.

Might be Sangre, but try telling that to the lady who has to give these scammers 2800 euro. Maybe she needs a better barrister ;)

smashey wrote: »
    Their purifiers might be good and indeed, might be considered a long term investment if there was a need for them. Clearly, in Donegal they were scaremongering.

as far as i remember they used to sell them with the idea being that they pay for themselves over the 20 years, etc.

they are a genine company and they arent a scam or anything. But, and i say a big BUT, i think they MIGHT have a sales people who work on a commission only basis. they would probably get high commission but no base salary so they would only get paid for what they sell. in my experience any company who do this usually end up with dodgy sales men who would do anything to get a sale. so a pefectly good company all of a sudden end up with a bad name because their commisssion only sales people make little old ladies sign over their pensions for a water purifier.

you get it all the time with double glazing salesmen, and those guys selling extensions to houses, stuff like that.

sure i remember BT used to have commission only sales people years ago and they used to sign up customer names from tombstones in graveyards. nobody would know a thing until months later when a phone bill would arrive to a house with the deceased persons name on it. and the salesman would already of been paid his commission at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭JohnC.

My parents got this maybe a couple of years ago and are very happy with it. It did develop a small fault a some months after it was installed, but they were out quickly to fix it and it has been fine since.

As for the test probe being a scam, they let them keep the probe and it still shows the ordinary tap water as having bad results but the water from their filter being clean. So unless there is some extraordinarily elaborate rigging going on, that would seem to be for real too.

The water supply changed recently too and they now get (very) hard water. All the neighbours kettles are destroyed with limescale in no time but their kettle remains clean as a whistle.

No, I have no affiliation with the company.

The H2O reps are on the ball and taking over this discussion. I had done some research before I started this discussion. At least one of h2O's directors has opened and closed 3 companies (involved in the sale of water filters) before he started H2O. Each time his customers were left high and dry for service and spare parts. I also heard H2O featured on the Joe Duffy show a week ago today. The Joe Duffy show hardly start a discussion on one complaint or do they? You cannot wash your hands of your employees by saying they are over eager because they work on commission only and will say anything to make "that" sale. No matter how you look at this, its a scam, a con job, and downright dishonest ..... oh yeah .... and now we hear that Donegal Co. Council are taking them to court.... it just gets curiouser and curiouser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Kahless wrote: »
    As for the test probe being a scam, they let them keep the probe and it still shows the ordinary tap water as having bad results but the water from their filter being clean. So unless there is some extraordinarily elaborate rigging going on, that would seem to be for real too.

Well ye,that's the scam for crying out loud! The probe is a joke,it just causes minerals in water to turn black making it look liek the water is bad when it is actually not. Their filters remove any minerals but you just paid a few grand for nothing. Just because they have a probe that causes a chemical reaction in fine water doesn't mean the water is bad.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Well ye,that's the scam for crying out loud! The probe is a joke,it just causes minerals in water to turn black making it look liek the water is bad when it is actually not. Their filters remove any minerals but you just paid a few grand for nothing. Just because they have a probe that causes a chemical reaction in fine water doesn't mean the water is bad.

The probe they got seems to be different from the one described earlier. It doesn't cause a reaction. It just gives a digital readout.

The H2O reps are on the ball and taking over this discussion.

Are you referring to me? I already told you I have nothing to do with them. Or am I just lieing now?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I would be uncomfortable at calling this a scam, rather a dubious sales method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

that test they use is the scam as if you use that electrode thing in any tap or bottled water it will create similar results!

also the product they sell is grossly overpriced compared to diy filter systems and then we have all been drinking tap water for years and are still alive to shut the door on these well versed sales people!

The H2O reps are on the ball and taking over this discussion. I had done some research before I started this discussion. At least one of h2O's directors has opened and closed 3 companies (involved in the sale of water filters) before he started H2O. Each time his customers were left high and dry for service and spare parts. I also heard H2O featured on the Joe Duffy show a week ago today. The Joe Duffy show hardly start a discussion on one complaint or do they? You cannot wash your hands of your employees by saying they are over eager because they work on commission only and will say anything to make "that" sale. No matter how you look at this, its a scam, a con job, and downright dishonest ..... oh yeah .... and now we hear that Donegal Co. Council are taking them to court.... it just gets curiouser and curiouser

i think it might be me he is accusing of being H2O employee which is pretty ridiculous. as i said before, i neither work nor am i affiliated with H20 in an way. I just know from professional experience that they are a genuine reputable company. and i dont agree that people or companies should be labelled a SCAM or RIP OFF with absolutely no proof or basis for it,

but it was on the joe duffy show so it must be true!!!! sure its not as if people call into the joe duffy show just to give out about anything, is it???
    all i know is if there is an expose on it in the sunday world then we will definitly know it is true, that will be it in concrete fact ;)

metroman_12000 you seem to be the one leading the SCAM witch hunt against H2O and apparently you did research and found out that the company directors changed the comapny name 3 times. this means you most likey know who the directors of H2O are by name. would this be because you work for a comapny called Aqua Treatment who sell very similiar products to H2O and if i am not mistaken the 2 comapnies would be in competition with each other???? www.aquatreatment.ie

correct me if i am wrong but i thought i would do some research as well and my research could be wrong but thats what it looks like to me.

so would i be correct in saying you work for Aqua Treatment???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I just know from professional experience that they are a genuine reputable company.

It is clear to anyone who does a bit of research /googling into this that the company is using lies and false test and or test results to sell a grossly overpriced product , if anyone thinks their water is bad by a Britta filter for heavens sake !!

This company is clearly not a reputable company , the sooner they are brought down the better.
    And anyone who has been unfortunate enough to fall for this con should be taking legal advice against them ,

They are pure and utter scum , and thats putting it nicely.

How anyone can come on here and defend that company is beyond me , its no wonder people think you are working for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

caviet emptor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement