Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs vs Pompey [match thread]

Options
  • 20-03-2008 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Ain't done one of these in a while...

Some team news:
    There are no fresh injury worries ahead of our Barclays Premier League clash with Portsmouth at The Lane on Saturday.

Long-term absentees Gareth Bale (foot) and Benoit Assou-Ekotto (knee) are the only First Team players unavailable for this game.

Though I have heard it suggested that Jenas suffered an ankle injury after Lumpard took him out last night, so he may be a doubt.

Meanwhile:
    Jermain Defoe will not be eligible to play for Pompey against his former side Spurs on Saturday because of a rule change in the summer.

Defoe, who has scored six goals in as many games since signing on the last day of the transfer window in January, cannot make his return to White Hart Lane because a player who originally signs on loan and then completes a permanent move is not allowed to play against the club he left in the same season.

A Portsmouth FC spokesman said: “Clearly we are not happy about the situation and were under the impression it only applied to goalkeepers, following a similar situation last year with Tim Howard playing for Everton against Manchester United.

“Jermain was only signed on a loan deal due to time restraints on transfer deadline day and the deal was made permanent soon after.

“Spurs themselves were under the impression he was playing and clearly the rule needs to be looked at again as we will not be the only club to be affected by this.

“We have tried to get the ruling overturned and have lots of support from the other Premier League clubs but nothing can be done until the next shareholders’ meeting in April.”

Source: Pompey site

Also, Diop and Muntari are suspended and Judas looks set to miss the game through injury.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Invincible

I heard Rocha and Kaboul are extremely doubtful for Saturday too.

Who do you mean by judas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Invincible wrote: »
    Who do you mean by judas ??

Sulzeer Jeremiah, the only defender in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

Anyone on here headin over to the pompey game. I'm headin over to it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Yes mate, me and Shane are on the 8.10 to Stansted, keep an eye out for us!

I think I might be on that one too. Not too sure but if i'm on a different flight we'll meet up for a drink anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

They appear to be missing some very important players and if they dont have judas at the back, I can see us winning. Robbie and Berba are in good form so I can see both scoring again in a 3 1 win. Yid Army ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I agree think we will take them tomorrow they are missing some key players.Got this funny feeling zokora will brake his duck might have a punt on it.COYS:D

Home win for me too. They're handy away from home this year but i think we'll probably shade it. 2-1 spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

judas is sol cam****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Yes mate, me and Shane are on the 8.10 to Stansted, keep an eye out for us!

Taxi booked - see you at the gate for a pint at 7ish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Invincible

judas is sol cam****

Thank's Terry,Huddlestone is in great form of late,hope he'll start!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

The match is being shown live on Sky Sports at 12.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Defoe not eligible for tomorrow's match as he signed initially on a loan deal (because of the Benjani transfer mix-up etc) and therefore cannot play against the team he signed from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Delighted.A Good 3 points. Played some lovely football in the 1st half. Very open in the 2nd half and I had an awful feeling they would catch us with that sucker punch on the break if we did'nt score early in the 2nd half (which we didnt), but we wore them down in the end.

Juande probably raised some eyebrows with the changes, but it proved effective in the end. A brilliant cameo from Bent. A real strikers goal for the opener, and some great pace and cuteness for the 2nd. He gives a nice option does'nt he, he's the only striker we have the could stretch defences as he did for the 2nd.

Delighted with the win as I said.

On a slightly negative note, is it just me or has Lennon been a huge dissapointment this season. Again today he had numerous chances to deliver a good ball and he failed every time. For a top flight player, its dreadful to see. If I did that myself on a Saturday, Id be slaughtered and probably get the hook :D. I hope Juande and Gus can have a positive influence on him in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gerrytack@hotma

jesus its awful to see a pro footballer not able to perform a basic skill like crossing a ball.this guy will work with a ball every day of his working life,yet he seems unable to supply a cross.....the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Aaron Lennon frustrates me alright. A couple of seasons ago I thought we were looking at one of the best wingers in the world because he was one of the only players in the league who could beat a player. When England played Portugal in the WC he made absolute sh*t of their defence for the few mins he played. Now he's just become your run of the mill functional wingers who'll pass it to the wingback at the merest hint of a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

To be honest I am hoping Juande signs a few players in the summer. We are not far off being good but too much inconsistant play. I think Malbranque & Lennon the two wingers are not good enough, I hope through his scouting & knowledge he will buy 2 skillfull wingers from the spanish league, who are pacy and can actually cross a ball. Also we need another centre half and a keeper. If Berba stays, Keane & Bent are fine, so that would be good for me. We would still have Huddlestone emerging along with O'Hara & Tarrat.

Advertisement