Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting places at road N17 Sligo Galway-any recommendation?

Options
  • 20-03-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Anyone can recommended something on this road? I'm going to Galway in Sunday,but maybe is something worth to see before Galway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

The Knock shrine is quite impressive, we tend to get to Galway as fast as possible so don't really stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Knock Airport worth a ten minute stop off if you've never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

I never been there.This my first trip in that area;-),so I'm open to any proposition.I know that I'll want to see cliffs of moher.

devil-80 wrote: »
    I never been there.This my first trip in that area;-),so I'm open to any proposition.I know that I'll want to see cliffs of moher.

Isn't the Cliffs of Moher a fair drive from Galway? They are unbelievable and worth seeing. If you are going that way anyway try the Ailwee Caves too - stunning!!!
    (Every time we go passed Knock and Charlsetown I have to think of Christy Moore.....)

I dont know how far they are,but i think not so far.Ailwee Caves Where it is exactly? How far from Galway.
    Ok i think that i find it,it is in Ballyvaughan yes?

• Advertisement

Yes, it's near Ballvaughan. We did a tour of that area in one day, we did the caves, the cliffs we also went to Doolin (gorgeous!!)and Lisdoonvarna (home of the matchmaking festival).
    I love this part of Ireland. It's the part that made me think I wouldn't mind living in Ireland.
    Have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

All these places are in Clare, so plan for about a 3 hour drive. Theres some lovely B&B and Guesthouses around Doolin/Liscannor if you want to stay overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

You cound be daring and go to Westport! Great town.
    Head from there to Lanesbourough (i think that's what it's called) but basically your heading to Cliftden.
    What a drive! Some of the most amazing scenery in the world!

It would be going totally out of your way but it would be worth it.
    Bring your Camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

if you have kids you could check this place out near tubbercurry
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~gillighansworld/index.htm

and this is in sligo and not far off your route (certainly not as far as Moher)
    http://www.eaglesflying.com/

I dont have kids;-).I hope so that i have enough time to see most of this places.Thanks everybody for help.I'll take my camera and make some pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

You could head west via Cong (Ashford Castle Hotel in nice) and back to Galway through Headford. If you have loads of time go via West port, Leenane and Clifden, but it'd be better to spend a few days around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Eagles flying is well worth a visit, for any age. Do take your camera if you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Culchie wrote: »
    Knock Airport worth a ten minute stop off if you've never been.

WHAT? You can't be serious.. it's not exactly on par with Charles de Guale.

WHAT? You can't be serious.. it's not exactly on par with Charles de Guale.

Still there is some view from the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Gillie wrote: »
    Still there is some view from the place!

Can't say I've ever noticed... he didn't mention that though - I thought he meant to check out the "architecture" of the building. Now THAT would be taking the proverbial.

I comeback yesterday.I seen Cliffs of Moher,few castle .I want to see the ailwee caves but unfortunately was closed(open only to 6 pm).One day i spend in Galway.Maybe next time I'll have much time and Ill see other places.I make so pics so i post the link later.

http://www.flickr.com/gp/24811737@N06/0eBx77

Can't say I've ever noticed... he didn't mention that though - I thought he meant to check out the "architecture" of the building. Now THAT would be taking the proverbial.

The view is quite nice looking back towards Charlestown!
    I seriously hope he wasn't talking about the building!:eek:

Great photo's devil - 80! Thanks for keeping us up to date! Cliffs of Moher are breathtaking aren't they?!

Yes its true.The view Cliffs of Moher was lovely.So if You have Car and few days off U should see it :-)

I plan to take hubby and son there sometime. My parents brought my old photo's with them and my first visit to Ireland were in there too- including the cliffs of moher. I wouldn't dare go to the edge nowadays! Since having my son I've turned into a bit of a coward in that respect.
    If you are looking for some other cliffs check out Downpatricks Head in Co Mayo. Also Mullaghmore - Stunning!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement