Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is White the new Black?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

IMHO, the new black is black! Silver was the new black a few years ago, but probably since the VW Passat ad on telly ('commands respect' or something like that), black is back in fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It looks great NiSmO, very nice indeed.

One thing about white (and any very light colour for that matter) is that tar spots will show up all too easily! You'll be forever at it with the claybar / tar-remover!

try Autoglym tar remover, its good stuff. If its only a few spots, a dab of white spirits will also do the trick. A claybar will bring it up a treat too, a smooth as glass finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Barr wrote: »
    Come to think of it ..seen the new Range Rover it White yesterday.Am not uaually a fan of these but it looked sexy has hell. The blonde behind the wheel was not half bad either ;)

Was that the one with huge chrome Alloys that looks like it should be driven by one of those rappers you see on MTV cribs? (normally around Cork)
    i bought a white jeep this week and the only reason i done the deal was its a swb automatic and there very thin on the ground and beggars cant be choosers
    that and i got it at a very good price

the catch is , i really dont care for the colour

would have perfered a wine or maroon coloured one

I had two white company jeeps, Discovery (with rear seats) & Land Cruiser (commercial). The Land Cruiser looked brilliant in white, the discovery wasn't bad either. White is meant to be statistically the safest colour car to drive. So said our H&S expert anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Was that the one with huge chrome Alloys that looks like it should be driven by one of those rappers you see on MTV cribs? (normally around Cork)

No chrome on this one , alloys looked huge 21" 22" maybe

For me chrome alloys with white cars is a no no....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The Irish motoring public been a very conservative (you could say unimaginative) lot, you can bet 75-80% will have no interest in buying a white car. The perception (rightly or wrongly) that it is the colour of base model entry level cars or for people too cheap to pay for a proper metallic hue will linger and these factors will hit trade-in and resale values. Like any consumer item it is about supply and demand after all. Also very few prestige or executive car buyers would be interested in white (even Golf buyers), as it is seen as a colour for the Johnny come lately's/chavs/boy racers/transit man and not for sophisticated or cultured folk. White Mercs look crap, Audi's pretty much too and only the odd BMW can carry it off. Most of these buyers want more dignified/sober colours. Otherwise some white cars will become orphans unless sold on cheap. So if it floats your boat well and good but it will come at a price.

IMHO it does not suit our weather or road conditions. In warmer climates yes it looks better. In the Arab world for example I think it may be just a case that white cars are a few degrees lower in temp inside than a darker shade or may be it is an Islamic cultural self-effacing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Have seen loads of 2008 cars in white ..more than ever before .It suits some really well eg the Golf

White is the best colour to show the lines of a car.

Give me white anyday over boring boring silver

My previous 3 cars have been black and when clean I think it does look best. Prob is whenever it was cleaned, it was filthy again with 1 days driving. I have just changed for a silver car last week and whatever you say about it being "boring" it certainly is a doddle to keep clean. This is it with around 1200 kms driving in all conditions unwashed

535ddayfrontside.jpg

TomMc wrote: »
    The Irish motoring public been a very conservative (you could say unimaginative) lot, you can bet 75-80% will have no interest in buying a white car. The perception (rightly or wrongly) that it is the colour of base model entry level cars or for people too cheap to pay for a proper metallic hue will linger and these factors will hit trade-in and resale values. Like any consumer item it is about supply and demand after all. Also very few prestige or executive car buyers would be interested in white (even Golf buyers), as it is seen as a colour for the Johnny come lately's/chavs/boy racers/transit man and not for sophisticated or cultured folk. White Mercs look crap, Audi's pretty much too and only the odd BMW can carry it off. Most of these buyers want more dignified/sober colours. Otherwise some white cars will become orphans unless sold on cheap. So if it floats your boat well and good but it will come at a price.

IMHO it does not suit our weather or road conditions. In warmer climates yes it looks better. In the Arab world for example I think it may be just a case that white cars are a few degrees lower in temp inside than a darker shade or may be it is an Islamic cultural self-effacing thing.

Yeah, I agree, resale will definitely be an issue, whether or not those conservative perceptions change I'm not so sure. While the white Golf in the pics above look great to me, a lot of people would assume its a van/rep-mobile/unmarked squaddie! Dealers already have enough excuses to offer crap trade-in values as it is.

I wouldn't agree that white Mercs and Audis look crap though. Perhaps the base-spec variations do, but I've seen an S5 and a new C-Class Merc in white, both looked fantastic in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

NiSmO wrote: »

No offense NiSmO but that looks awful. If it were in sunny California it'd look great but in Ireland it looks silly.

Buying a white car with our climate smacks of pretentiousness IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I think this whole perception thing is related to what age / generation you are.
    The more old skool amoung us will definately dissaprove of white cars ..tutting resale values , climate etc etc as valid reasons.

Theres a whole market out there that actively seek their chosen cars in white. I for one spent 3 months looking for a white celica and did'nt mind paying a premium when i finally found it.

I new I was on to a winner when my Mother said thats a nice car , horrible colour though. Whatever my parents dissaprove of is usually is a good gauge of whats cool or not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

I think this whole perception thing is related to what age / generation you are.
    The more old skool amoung us will definately dissaprove of white cars ..tutting resale values , climate etc etc as valid reasons.

Theres a whole market out there that actively seek their chosen cars in white. I for one spent 3 months looking for a white celica and did'nt mind paying a premium when i finally found it.

I new I was on to a winner when my Mother said thats a nice car , horrible colour though. Whatever my parents dissaprove of is usually is a good gauge of whats cool or not :D

my sister is seriously uncool and proud of it

she hates the colour of my white jeep so having read your post , i feel better now

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

One good thing about a white car is. No water marks after washing it.

Each to their own and all that, but white is not cool to most peoples eyes. White has a sell by date, unlike (boring) silver which hasn't. That is why silver took off many moons ago and now is commonplace. IMHO steel grey's and derivatives of same are the cool colours. Less is more.

I know someone local with a white S5 and I saw one (A5) in a subtle shade of grey with a silvery green hue and it looks far more classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

That white GT is LOVELY!

I'd kill for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Holsten wrote: »
    That white GT is LOVELY!

I'd kill for one!

agree it looks cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

LA%202007%20Mercedes%20C63%20AMG.jpg

Sorry for butting in at the end of all this, but if some invents a way to make real love to a motor propelled vehicle, give me a call. White the new black....most definitely when you talk about the Mecedes C63 AMG:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Alot of new cars do look good in white, but I suspect it will go out of fashion, whereas a good darker silver/grey will always be attractive.

That C63 does look good in white above but look at it here, I just love the depth of reflections you get off grey metallic colours.

2070704001Mini1L.jpg

Although I think a pearl white can be gorgerous, like this Masser

2.jpg

However the next big thing will be matt finishes ;)

You can spec your new SL in this matt grey for just 7,000 dollars in America :D

luminagrey3.jpg

I think the C Class or any Merc (AMG's and all) for that matter look crap in white.

Hopefully 80's nouveau gauche isn't making a comeback. It reminds me of the old 560sec in that colour, like something a pimp would drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hopefully 80's nouveau gauche isn't making a comeback. It reminds me of the old 560sec in that colour, like something a pimp would drive.

Another post I totally agree with!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Top-end white cars DO look excellent but in Ireland they look crap as they're completely impractical with our climate. If you lived in LA then great but rainy dull ireland? just look like a silly fad IMHO

I think you're mixing up black and white there, it's black that looks ****e in this climate............it shows up every speck on it, and every ding, too........impossible to keep.

I saw a new white TT w/magma red leather in it recently.........fab. Saw a white Toureg too, but not convinced about that.......it depends on the car, tbh..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I pass a white new M3 on my way to work every day with red leather interior. Beautiful looking car. I wouldn't say the same if it was an Avensis.

All depends on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think that white suits very few cars

for me slate/lava grey is the new black....when a teacher of mine asked for advice on an Avensis a few years back I advised on the grey, but he went with the sheep and like 7/10 Irish people got the platinum, even now the grey still looks best, much berrer than red or black, much like the grey on the C-AMG in conneem-TTs post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

NiSmO wrote: »

There's a stunning navy that the golf comes in, don't think it can be beaten. I think every 2-bit estate agent around has a black baseline,comfortline.

The White looks good in high spec, just the same as the same silver will look different on 2 different specs of the same car.

• Advertisement

Advertisement