Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the Week

Options
  • 20-03-2008 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

I have always wondered why there is no game of the week thread. There's more than enough traffic on the forum to get a competative vote going so is there any interest or any nmod reason why there isn't a thread?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Ye, great idea tbh. Films forum has their film of the week, games could do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

it works really well on the film & metal forums, why not continue the success here?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I agree! Someone start the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Sure just use this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The FotW thread is a disaster. There's no real discussion going on in the threads, just a stream of people constantly agreeing with each other, listing off superlatives without exploring why the film is good, or indeed, why it isn't any good.

Perhaps there's a different angle we could take on the games board. Every week choose an underrated game (Rogue Trooper and so on) and extoll its virtues, or a universally-liked classic (Mario Galaxy, Halo 3) and talk about its flaws. They're the only ways to generate real discussion that I've come up with.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The FotW thread is a disaster. There's no real discussion going on in the threads, just a stream of people constantly agreeing with each other, listing off superlatives without exploring why the film is good, or indeed, why it isn't any good.

Perhaps there's a different angle we could take on the games board. Every week choose an underrated game (Rogue Trooper and so on) and extoll its virtues, or a universally-liked classic (Mario Galaxy, Halo 3) and talk about its flaws. They're the only ways to generate real discussion that I've come up with.

Thoughts?

The discussion usually happens after the film or whatever has won. A thread is then created to discuss it. Also the compilation makes a great starting point for anyone getting into films (or games) and allows those looking for something new or different to be able to choose from a list of guaranteed good games. I think GotW is a great idea. Although I'm not pissing on your own thoughts. I don't see any reason not to do both?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

was just thinking about this the other day, but I assumed since it hadn't already been done that there was a reason. Regardless of what people think of the FotW thread it is a good list. I know there where a few movies on there that I wouldn't of ever seen if it hadn't been for it.

I'd say give it a shot anyway. See how it goes for a few weeks.

It might be an idea though to make it a little bit more organized than the FotW thread and maybe pick a different genre each week and have people pick a game from that genre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think a lot of unknown classics will go undiscussed if we use a voting system. I'd rather discuss something like Katamari than a boring popular game like GTA.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think a lot of unknown classics will go undiscussed if we use a voting system. I'd rather discuss something like Katamari than a boring popular game like GTA.

whats stopping you from starting a thread to discuss Katamari now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The discussion usually happens after the film or whatever has won. A thread is then created to discuss it. Also the compilation makes a great starting point for anyone getting into films (or games) and allows those looking for something new or different to be able to choose from a list of guaranteed good games. I think GotW is a great idea. Although I'm not pissing on your own thoughts. I don't see any reason not to do both?

I think you misunderstand. My point was that even the FotW discussion threads are devoid of any meaninful discussion or debate. Everybody just posts "Brilliant film, I have it on DVD. Watched it a million times. Johnny Depp is great in it" without actually getting into the ins and outs of why the film is brilliant, or why Johnny Depp is great in it.
    whats stopping you from starting a thread to discuss Katamari now?

What's stopping you from creating a thread on a potential GotW game now? This is another reason why FotW doesn't work. The voting and selection is so long-winded and drawn out that it's completely incompatible with the fact that you can just start a thread on any film you want anyway.

My suggestions (criticising popular games, lauding criticised games) are more likely to produce debate and discussion - they're designed to rub people up the wrong way and create disagreements. I also wouldn't adopt the voting system used on the film board - it's too drawn-out, time-consuming and produces too much banal, popular-vote selections. How about the poster of the best post in the previous discussion thread (as calculated by 'thanks' received) chooses the next one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm not sure if this is related to the original idea at all (I don't read the movie forum), but Kotaku ran a thing a while back which this reminded me of.

Basically they'd suggest a game, it wouldn't be a too well known game, a few years old and on PC which meant it was fairly cheap and easier to get hold of than older console games.

Then they'd give people time to get the game and play it, and come back and discuss it a while later. I think they had progress report discussions too where everyone would play to the same point in the game and discuss it so far.

I don't know if something like that would work but encouraging people to play some classics could be a good thing. I've got a few games like Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey and even Fallout sitting on my shelf which I've shamefully never put the time into because there's always something newer and shinier, and if there was a discussion encouraging it I'd probably put more effort into playing them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seems like a good idea. Although maybe game of the month or something to give people more chance to play?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd like this to happen as well. And i dont think that games like Katamari would lose out to (boring? :confused:) games like GTA, as a lot of the people who would post here would know alot about games, and wouldn't generally agree with the masses.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Game of the Week : Audiosurf

Discuss........

Isn't there supposed to be a vote? Also, just after reading this...http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55448669&postcount=92...on the film boards. Bad idea maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

You could get a rule saying 50 posts needed before one can vote to rule that stuff out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

The film of the week and album of the week don't work properly. The discussion is limited to:

"Yeah great film"
    "Love this one"
    "One of their best albums"
    etc etc.

No real discussion ever takes place. On top of that Karl ended FOTW this morning because people were registering alternate accounts to get their film to win. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

To be honest there have been no decent games out for the PS3 recently anyway. These Developers really need a kick in the arse releasing such ****e as the recent PS3 games that have been released. Get your act together and fire your quality control people if you even have them! The only game I keep coming back to is COD4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be honest there have been no decent games out for the PS3 recently anyway. These Developers really need a kick in the arse releasing such ****e as the recent PS3 games that have been released. Get your act together and fire your quality control people if you even have them! The only game I keep coming back to is COD4.

Wait, what? Was the PS3 even mentioned it this thread?
    Our survey says: no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I like his fresh approach, uncliched sentances and the way he says what we're all thinking, even when we're not thinking it at all...

but anyway, i like steviec's idea of copying kotaku (and theres a sentance i never thought i'd say)

An oldish PC game, and give us a few weeks to go play it, with a thread for each game so we can have a running comentary as we play it.
    I think the penny-arcade forums do something similar with their [Let's Play!] threads, though that might just be limited to new releases.

And some suggestions
    1: No steam games - as they usually need a credit card which'd limit the number of potential participants (like me)
    2: Abandonware games - free as in beer, so no excuses from tightfisted gamers (like me)

The only other thing i'd like to ask people opinions on is emulators and such for those 16Bit sega games you might have missed because you were a Nintendo kid or vice-versa

• Advertisement

The PS3 is games console and I was talking about the games that are out now for it. I don't think there are any good games that have been released in the recent weeks for it - so fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Buy a 360 :p

I have a 360 Elite as well and the same thing applies - there haven't been any spectacular new releases for that recently either! I'm just saying that Developers need to get their asses in gear as these consoles are powerful and they can create amazing games just don't release any thing until it's up to scratch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Are we voting yet? I vote Uplink! UPLINK!
    Bank hacking ftw

i think people are missing the other main point of the game of the week. People who will vote for a game will have more than likely already discussed it before, to this end I don't even think we need a discussion thread for each game that wins game of the week as, like has already been said, the discussion is rarely extensive or interesting.

BUT, getting back to my point, the list serves as a metering stick for this forum. I frequent the movies forum a bit now, mainly because I respected its FotW list. Gamers who find this forum will be able to instantly get a sense of what the community here likes by simply looking at the list. It will also give new people to this forum the opportunity to discover the games that they have yet to play that will make the GotW list.

Sure people will bump the likes of GTA, HL and other main stream successes. But if you give it a few weeks most of the popular games will get exhausted and we will start to get the diamonds in the rough getting onto the list.

IMO I think it would be foolish to not have a GotW list. Also theres nothing stopping us from also having another thread for implementing the Kotaku system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

An oldish PC game, and give us a few weeks to go play it, with a thread for each game so we can have a running comentary as we play it.
    I think the penny-arcade forums do something similar with their [Let's Play!] threads, though that might just be limited to new releases.
    I think thats a good idea, but it shouldnt have to be an oldish game. Any game, and we get 2-4 weeks to play it, then talk about it. Penny's 'Lets Play' are some great threads.
    And some suggestions
    1: No steam games - as they usually need a credit card which'd limit the number of potential participants (like me)
    Hmm, i dont agree here though, as a lot of Steam's games are available in shops. Plus, not everyone will take part in all the GoTW's.
    The only other thing i'd like to ask people opinions on is emulators and such for those 16Bit sega games you might have missed because you were a Nintendo kid or vice-versa
    We could suggest old consoles, but we couldnt mention how (or where we got them...cousins and what not) we play them, as it is against the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Kiith wrote: »
    I think thats a good idea, but it shouldnt have to be an oldish game. Any game, and we get 2-4 weeks to play it, then talk about it. Penny's 'Lets Play' are some great threads.

Well my thinking about older games is that they'd be cheaper, so more people would be inclined to take a chance on something that may well be terrible (or at least something they don't much care for)
    Hmm, i dont agree here though, as a lot of Steam's games are available in shops. Plus, not everyone will take part in all the GoTW's.

true, but once again my thinking was to make the appeal of the GoTW's as broad as possible, so i was trying to filter out things that mostly have to be bought online.
    I didn't really expect anyone to agree with me anyway, people like steam far too much for that suggestion to fly.
    We could suggest old consoles, but we couldnt mention how (or where we got them...cousins and what not) we play them, as it is against the rules.

yeah, i think it'd be a tad too obvious what we're doing though. Unless everyone on here has a working SNES and a copy of Secret of Mana just lying about the place.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement