Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Oral

Options
  • 20-03-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Hi, I had a mock oral today and it has left be slightly confused over the general conversation section of the oral exam. I was always told be teachers that when your asked a question e.g. Wo wohnen Sie? you should talk about where you live until the examiner tells you to stop. This is what i did but the examiner today gave me some advice and said that you shouldn't do this but wait for the examiner to ask you the questions. Is this right? I am looking for high marks in German and I would like to know if anybody(hopefully people who took the oral last year or before) could outline a proper approach to this? Should you stop if your veering off the point? Do you control the converstation? I have my "real" oral in three weeks and would like to be confident about my answers. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I agree with your teacher. It's important that you control the flow of conversation until the examiner's had enough and moves onto something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Maybe you misunderstood what your examiner said because they basically want you never to shut up, thats how you get top marks in any oral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

I did my LC last year and have to agree. Say as much as you can, you cannot be penalized for speaking excessively :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I think what the examiner was trying to say was that they only asked you where you lived.
    You're supposed to answer the question really, so say for example Dublin
    Ich wohne in Dublin
    Then they ask you what it's like, and then you can go on and on.

Advertisement