Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb or Rabbit Recipes

• 20-03-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'm looking for a decent recipe for either lamb or rabbit to cook for a nice meal for two.

I've done a bit of googling, but nothing jumps out - do any boardsies have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Shoulder of lamb is pretty easy and quite tasty
    - Place the shoulder fat side up
    - Season with salt and pepper and rub in some olive oil
    - piece in several places with a knife
    - Stick small sprigs of rosemary and thyme in the incisions - if you cut the rosemary at an angle and fold the thyme in half its easier to put in
    -Make a foil tent - get a baking tray and lay a long piece of foil crossways and a long piece lengthways (the foil needs to be about 3 times the width for crossways and 3 times the length for lenthways - better too long than too short)
    -Place the joint on the tray and bring the sides up to form a tent around it - so lenthways first pinching/folding the foil to seal and then bring the sides up pinching and sealing - you need to leave space arond the joint for the steam to form but have the foil sealed to keep the steam in and the meat moist
    -Place on a low shelf in the oven at gas mark 3 for about 4 hours
    -If you're making potatoes and need to raise the temp after 3 hours you can wrap it tighty in foil and place on a tray on the floor of the oven for the last hour
    deeelish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I had rabbit for lunch yesterday and it was a pretty simple recipe.

Brown seasoned rabbit pieces in oil - Add 200ml of French mustard and lightly fry for 10 minutes.
    Add 1/2 glass of white wine and some thyme - mix - cover and cook slowly for 1 hour.

When done take off the heat and and 200ml of creme fraiche

It's the type of recipe that once made for the first time, you can play around with it to add whatever you think will work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Lamb chops are great with a mixture of smoked paprika, cumin & salt. Mix the spices in equal quantities and sprinkle on the lamb before grilling. I make up a small jar of this at a time. Serve with tabbouleh and roast potatoes or chips.

Rabbit loin rolled in egg and panko breadcrumbs (or any very dry breadcrumb) and pan fried for a couple of minutes. 8 minutes in the oven to finish. Serve with a lightly dressed spagetti or fine pasta.

Pan fry diced rabbit meat with some seasoning. When cool, load onto a rectangle of puff pastry. Add some sunblush tomatoes and a sage leaf. Encase in the pastry, hatch a pattern on top and brush with beaten egg, cook at 190c for 25 minutes. Spuds and a salad.

Lamb with noodles and vegetables. Cook some green beans and halve some baby sweetcorn. Wash a handful of beanshoots. Make a dressing of equal amounts of lime juice and fish sauce, add chopped green chilli to taste. A teaspoon of sugar will help with the balance of hot sweet sour and salty. Cook some egg noodles. Bash up some peanuts. Slice some spring onions. I use a piece of lamb cut off the top of the leg for this recipe. It is about 1& 1/2 inches thick and is cut parallel to the bone - so about the size of a steak - about 500g - it has a good layer of fat across the top. Cook on the griddle for 5 minutes per side - then season and in the oven for 20 minutes. Once rested, carve thinly.

To put it together, heat some oil in a wok, stirfry the spring onion for a minute then add the beans & sweetcorn. Cook for a couple of minutes and add noodles and beanshoots. Plate up the noodles and lay some sliced lamb across the top. Add chopped peanuts and the dressing.

I like the lamb medium rare here. Neck would also work.

Advertisement