Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 'Wha ya think?'

Options
  • 20-03-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

Audient are thinking of bringing out this puppy, any thoughts Folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its customary to open a topic by giving us your own thoughts first ;)

Is there a word for this type of system. What I mean is, are there any existing examples of the same sort of package? And si it designed specifically for portability/field work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

cornbb wrote: »
    Its customary to open a topic by giving us your own thoughts first ;)

Is there a word for this type of system. What I mean is, are there any existing examples of the same sort of package? And si it designed specifically for portability/field work?

Oh! Well I like Audient stuff. The two guys who own it were once DDA , Dearden and Davies. I was aware of the brand for a years but hadn't heard any of the stuff 'til we sold an Audient console to Maynooth College. At that stage we didn't represent them here.

I thought it was a very well made good looking console. It was only on hearing the ASP008 (8 chan mic pre) that has the same pres as the console I became very interested.

The Black Series came out last year and represents a departure insofar as the elements are meant to represent 'personality' as opposed to 'neutrality' . Think Neve instead of SSL.

The first ones were based on a 10 way rack but this little guy looks like it's a much more practical proposition.

I guess the intended user is the serious home guy who (perhaps) doesn't want to fork out for a ProTools HD system but can get a good pair of mic pres, eq and compression AND A2D (or whatever combination of those) to raise the bar on even the most humble system , an MBox, Digi003 or any M-Audio with digi in.

While I don't think it will change the world I like the idea a lot.

I think API started all this with their LunchBox system and of course now SSL have the X-Rack...

I guess if you're an engineer who sometimes work in less that Hi-Fi situations one could grab your lil Rack and carry it on the Bus easily enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It's a mini lunch box, right? Are they inviting other manufacturers to create modules or is it just their own thing?

For something portable like that that therefore might end up in strange places I'd want a bit of protection on the front panel. Even a couple of alu handles might do the trick. It doesn't even seem to lid lugs either so presumably that's how it stays? Looks nice though. And it even looks like it might sound nice. :D

So what kind of modules are they looking at and what are the prices going to be like? And.....wait for it...... does it sound good?

frobisher wrote: »
    It's a mini lunch box, right? Are they inviting other manufacturers to create modules or is it just their own thing?

For something portable like that that therefore might end up in strange places I'd want a bit of protection on the front panel. Even a couple of alu handles might do the trick. It doesn't even seem to lid lugs either so presumably that's how it stays? Looks nice though. And it even looks like it might sound nice. :D

So what kind of modules are they looking at and what are the prices going to be like? And.....wait for it...... does it sound good?

I think as it's mid range stuff it's just their own thing.

I agree about the protection ok. The first thing I asked was did it have a cover, a 'laptop bag' material I was thinking with a hole on top for the handle.

The modules are here -
    http://www.audient.com/audient/taxonomy/term/2

I've only done basic plug in tests but it sounded good - I'll try a session soon with them.

As I've said in other posts Audient stuff , in my opinion, sounds a lot better than it should, for the price.

Stephen Street and Cenzo Townshend own a console in their Olympic room and the Kaiser Chiefs' first singles ( maybe the album) was recorded on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    we sold an Audient console to Maynooth College.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, then nice desk. Though it doesn't like beer very much. :pac:

• Advertisement

Soundman wrote: »
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, then nice desk. Though it doesn't like beer very much. :pac:

No we offered them the Anti "Beer/'Baccy" module but they didn't take it .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

A highly sophisticated car battery?

dav nagle wrote: »
    A highly sophisticated car battery?

Thankyou Dav .......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Audient are thinking of bringing out this puppy, any thoughts Folks?

It would look cool in a james bond film...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

really seeing to see the point of this piece of gear. a little bit like your last 'thoughts please'?

• Advertisement

Right so , I'll tell Audient -

The lads reckon it looks like James Bond's Car Battery - yez are a great help! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Right so , I'll tell Audient -

The lads reckon it looks like James Bond's Car Battery - yez are a great help! :rolleyes:

what kind of thoughts would you like exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

As I said above... it looks like it sounds good. :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I really like it. Great idea nice little package

sei046 wrote: »
    I really like it. Great idea nice little package

As the Actress said to the Bishop .......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

ay oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

What does it do?

No offence but we're not all old hands here. I suspect to most people (even musos) it just looks like a "highly sophisticated car battery".

:)

It would look cool in a james bond film...

I wrote to the guys who are making the next bond film and please take no offense but this is what they wrote back..

'Dear Damhan

Sadly we are un-able to use the 'Audient module' in our latest film as it looks like a radio prop from a hitler movie. Please do not post us anymore props as we have no more room for such junk. If you would like we can squash it down and make a steel pipe from it in our wrecking yard.'

Well thats that I suppose!

womoma wrote: »
    What does it do?

No offence but we're not all old hands here. I suspect to most people (even musos) it just looks like a "highly sophisticated car battery".

:)

Fair point Womoma I should have made myself clearer.

It's a mini rack that you can add any of combination of mic pre, eq, compressor and Analogue to Digital converter you my like.

The available modules are here -

Fair point Womoma I should have made myself clearer.

It's a mini rack that you can add any of combination of mic pre, eq, compressor and Analogue to Digital converter you my like.

The available modules are here -

What ever it does it still would make any studio look like a mechanic shop! 'Have you got a battery there Tony?' 'Yeah just giz a sec'...

• Advertisement

Tony Visconti , Yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Pretty cool. Being pretty much "all in the box", I don't know much about that kinda stuff, but if it can do kool stuff on a smaller scale, very nice.

Advertisement